UTI Won't Go Away!

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Dear Friends - I'm at wits end with my male persian of 8 years old. He got a UTI on 2/14. We went to the vets and they did a urinalysis. He was not blocked and the vet said he had a mild UTI and sent me home with some antibiotics (Clavamox). He started to improve for about 4 days and then he reverted back to the symptoms he originally had, with jumping in and out of the litter boxes trying to go, very aggitated and unsettled. The Clavamox also started to give him diarrhea and he had vomitted several times. I took him back to the vets. Once again, they said he was not blocked. Gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and sent me home with a new antibiotic (Zeniquin) and also anti-spasm/discomfort pills (Phenoxybenzamine). With each day he was starting to get better and was good for about 5 days, then last night he started again with trying to go, he was in and out of both boxes and was very aggitated. I took him back to the vet and he was not blocked. She gave me an anti-inflammatory liquid (Metacam). She said as long as he was urinating, which he is, just to monitor him and continue with the meds.

Can anyone offer some insight/advice? I'm just really worried because I've been told these UTI's can be serious. I've been to the vet 3 times in the past 2 weeks and they don't seem overly concerned. He has been urinating regularly, so I'm not certain what is going on. Do UTI's generally take this long to clear up?

Sorry this is so long... just wanted to give you the background. Thanks!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The key thing is that he is still urinating - as you know, that's critical.

It can take time to clear up...but you are right to be concerned.

Did they find any crystals in his urine? Did they mention what his urine pH is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - Thanks for responding. Thank God he is still urinating. I know that is critical and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They didn't find any crystals and she didn't say anything about his urine PH. When I originally took him she just said it was a mild UTI. They also took an x-ray and found no stones. I'm just puzzled as to why he would start to get better for a few days and then revert back. That has happened twice now. It's just frustrating because I know he is uncomfortable.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edited to add: Have they done an xray to look for a stone in his bladder?

Okay, I'm an idiot ...just read that again and you said they did xrays.

That is puzzling...although I've noticed with my Beandip that he acts like a new kitty for about 3 days after he goes into the clinic for these issues, then he reverts back w/the symptoms a bit - usually for several days after that. When I noticed that I had attributed it to the effect of the anti-inflammatory shot he usually gets when he goes in (effect wearing off)...but who really knows.

A true bacterial cause is pretty uncommon - I think they estimate 5% of the time. I don't know if that's true, because these problems are poorly understood even by the "experts".

You are right to be very concerned - the threat of a blockage can make us go crazy - I know it does for me.

I would continue to keep a vigilant eye on him, keep up with the medicine, and keep his stress level to a minimum. Time is sometimes the only cure, IMO...when they've checked "everything" already.

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie has reccurent UTI's and we now give him Cystaid every day. It hasn't stopped them completly but seems to have lessened the frequency of them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what are you feeding him?>?? dry?? wet?? combo ?? brands ???

Keep up with his meds ...

some have found cranberry powder to help.. I have found a raw diet or at least all canned without fish to be a mircle ... Talk to the vet

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He will only eat dry food, and he is not a big eater (6 lbs.). He is currently on IVD Green Pea & Duck. I asked my vet if I should switch his food and she said since this was his first UTI it wasn't necessary right now.

As a treat I also give him a tiny bit of Lactaid milk in the morning and evening. He sooo looks forward to this. I'm wondering if I should stop the milk, although he does drink plenty of water as well.

That's it.... The entire time I've had him (5 years now), he has only ever eaten dry food and a little bit of Lactaid (lactose free) milk.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may want to try giveing him the pea and duck wet food//// Are food allergies the reason for the RX food????

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... good point about the anti-inflammatory wearing off; I never thought about that. The second time I had him in the vet's for this she gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and I noticed an improvement almost immediately that evening when we got home. She said the liquid I gave him last night would do the same thing as the shot, but I didn't see where it did a whole lot; maybe a little, but not nearly what the shot did. It's the same stuff (Metacam), so I don't know what the difference is, but the amount she told me to give him is very very small.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is my motto... when in doubt call the vet

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well... my other cat has food allergies, so that is the brand the vet recommended. It's just easier to feed them both the same thing. He really doesn't need it, he was eating the cheap stuff prior to her getting the food allergies. They have both been on the green pea and duck for over a year now.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just wanted to say "hang in there." it can be so frustrating to see your kitty uncomfortable and upset, especially when you're already doing everything you can. in general, does he drink plenty of water? as you may know, this is very important, especially if he only eats dry food. hopefully the current antibiotic will do the job- sometimes it takes a little trial and error with these things.

sinbadsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2furbabies, I'm so sorry your kitty is having trouble with a UTI.

I posted a reply in another topic about a UTI prone cat that I'm going to give you the link for, since this is a bit simpler than retyping that info, about vitamin C helping with UTIs:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115873

If you look for my reply there, which is on page 2 of that topic and the last reply there, you'll also find a link to a web page with a vet's article on using vitamin C in his practice, including for urinary tract problems.

As I said there, I gave Frosty 12 courses of two different kinds of antibiotics over a period of months before I finally just gave her vitamin C and probiotics, which got her over the UTI. Years earlier it had gotten my Sinbad over FUS, when she had a lot of crystals in her urine initially but refused to eat the special food the vet wanted me to feed her. The article I included the link for explains why it works...

Cindy / SinbadsMom

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words Whuckleberry. He does drink plenty of water. I will continue to monitor him closely. From the research I've done today I'm finding out that sometimes these UTI's can take a long time to resolve. Silly me to assume the antibiotic would knock it out in a few days :-(

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if your persian is long haired or not. My one long haired boy acts like he has a UTI but I found the hair over his penis sheath gets tangles if I don't stay on top of it. And since he's fussy about his potty habits, when he pees, it kinda goes everywhere because of the hair and he jumps around and acts like he's having potty issues. (I guess you could say it back sprays because of the hair.) It's an idea, at least, if your baby is long haird. Good luck on getting him better!!

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is long-haired, but he was just shaved down about a month ago so I think he's ok. That's interesting though... definitely something to keep an eye on. My boy had a better night last night. At least he slept! He is still jumping in and out of the boxes and looking like he is trying to go, but he is also still urinating normally so I'm puzzled, but I'm keeping a close eye on him.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

He is long-haired, but he was just shaved down about a month ago so I think he's ok. That's interesting though... definitely something to keep an eye on. My boy had a better night last night. At least he slept! He is still jumping in and out of the boxes and looking like he is trying to go, but he is also still urinating normally so I'm puzzled, but I'm keeping a close eye on him.
I'm glad he's doing a little better now. He probably has the sensation that he can't empty his bladder completely. It's a very frustrating feeling...I've been there

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been there also! It's the worst feeling... that's why it is so frustrating to see him go thru that. Do you know if the Metacam is the type of drug that works immediately or has to be in the system for a while? The vet only gave me enough for 7 days, so I didn't want to use it if I don't have to.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

I've been there also! It's the worst feeling... that's why it is so frustrating to see him go thru that. Do you know if the Metacam is the type of drug that works immediately or has to be in the system for a while? The vet only gave me enough for 7 days, so I didn't want to use it if I don't have to.
It's maddening, I know. It's been 4 months since I've seen Beandip do that 'litterbox dance'...it drives me crazy to see him go throught that. I still watch and worry everyday. I hope this turns out to be an isolated incident for your boy.

I haven't used Metacam. There is some info here

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1752

it states that it should be used with 'caution' in cats...implying every other day is better, but at the same time it mentions that when beginning a 'trial' course, a response may take 3 or 4 days to show.
Maybe have to clarify that with the vet.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info... I'll never understand why vets neglect to tell you this important stuff. What did we do before the internet!!!!