Long haired kitty - dirty rump

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is my first long haired cat. I just noticed this morning that she has "poopy butt" (a little
mess on her 'britches'). I've never seen a mess like this on her before...will she be able to clean it up or will I need to intervene? Does this happen a lot with long haired kitties? It looks like she sat in some poo.
Not a problem, I love her even with a dirty butt
but it just surprised me since this hadn't happened before.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have long haired cats and this only happens to my boy...the girl is always clean...go Figure! But I keep him shaved back there, it's better for him and for me. If he does get a mess I clean him in the shower with the sprayer.

Good luck!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does happen alot with long haired cats. My Persian does have this happen sometimes. I find keeping the fur trimmed around his bottom helps.Usually I put him in the tub and wash his butt when it gets dirty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I have long haired cats and this only happens to my boy...the girl is always clean...go Figure! But I keep him shaved back there, it's better for him and for me. If he does get a mess I clean him in the shower with the sprayer.

Good luck!
Oh yes I will need the luck.

I'm looking at this sweet innocent looking fluff-ball and trying to imagine a "shower and shave" LOL....
My helper is out of town. Hmmm I'll work on it. Thanks for the help!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

It does happen alot with long haired cats. My Persian does have this happen sometimes. I find keeping the fur trimmed around his bottom helps.Usually I put him in the tub and wash his butt when it gets dirty!
Thanks!
Pumpkin USED to like water...I think that could be changing.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ferris gets poopy butt all the time, as he has soft stool issues. He has really long fur, but because he was a feral rescue, I have no way of being able to trim his bottom for him, as much as I would like to (I keep Ginger's trimmed.) Ferris panics if I try to hold him, and I'm not interested in bleeding and/or getting covered in poo.

Although it is terribly gross, if you leave it alone, the cat WILL clean up it's own bottom. Just kitty nature. I just try not to think about it when he gets poopy butt. Euw.

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its always amusing and a bit gross when you see your cat walking away and notice that there's a little extra something under their tail...same thing the others said, trim up the butt fur and the problem should decrease.

I really try not to think about how they clean the poo off themselves...especially when they come up and nuzzle/lick you affectionately.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Pumpkin is my first long haired cat. I just noticed this morning that she has "poopy butt" (a little
mess on her 'britches'). I've never seen a mess like this on her before...will she be able to clean it up or will I need to intervene? Does this happen a lot with long haired kitties? It looks like she sat in some poo.
Not a problem, I love her even with a dirty butt
but it just surprised me since this hadn't happened before.
I groom my longhaired daily, he has a lot of hair "back there" and I remove a lot every day but I have never seen any evidence whatsoever of dirtyness. I am actually very surprised that he can do his business having all that fur and NOT be dirty but I honestly think it has to do with the firmness of the bowels that determines whether they are going to be dirty back there, and that of course is determined by what you are feeding them.

koukou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Freddie is long haired and gets 'poopy bottom'. I try and keep the fur back there trimmed down and brushed as much as I can... she is not keen on this but it's better than a smelly baby!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Although it is terribly gross, if you leave it alone, the cat WILL clean up it's own bottom. Just kitty nature. I just try not to think about it when he gets poopy butt. Euw.
Yeah...I can see that it already looks better. I may give her till this evening and see if I need to 'help'.

Originally Posted by Persi

I groom my longhaired daily, he has a lot of hair "back there" and I remove a lot every day but I have never seen any evidence whatsoever of dirtyness. I am actually very surprised that he can do his business having all that fur and NOT be dirty but I honestly think it has to do with the firmness of the bowels that determines whether they are going to be dirty back there, and that of course is determined by what you are feeding them.
I'm surprised too...as I've had Pumpkin for 8 months now and this is the first poopy bottom we've had. Seems like an isolated incident for now. We'll see.
Thanks.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is the first time you have noticed it, you may want to check the litterbox to make sure that she's feeling okay
. I have 2 LH cats- seems one never has "poopy bottom" problems, the other came and sat with me in my chair yesterday, and I realised something stunk- first thought it was the dog, but the dog was outside
...turd in the tailfeathers

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

If this is the first time you have noticed it, you may want to check the litterbox to make sure that she's feeling okay
. I have 2 LH cats- seems one never has "poopy bottom" problems, the other came and sat with me in my chair yesterday, and I realised something stunk- first thought it was the dog, but the dog was outside
...turd in the tailfeathers
Good point. Even though I just scooped a few hours ago it's probably impossible to know...but I'll watch her closely and inspect the 'evidence' as it presents itself.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persian only has the dirty butt if he has looser poop then normal. Sometimes he will manage to steal a little milk and that gives him the runs.I'm carefull but sometimes he manages to steal some cereal milk and then hes a mess!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well so far her butt is a little cleaner and she hasn't been making any repeat trips to the box or anything. I'll just watch her and make sure she's OK.

The other remote possibility is that the silly girl sat in the tub or the sink and then went to the box. She has done that a couple of times and ended up with just sand stuck to her rump. She is fascinated with water.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 2 long haired kitties and neither have had dirty butts! Mosi did go through a stage when he would get dirty from time to time but he seems to have got the hang of it now and hasn't got any stuck to him for months. I keep some wipes to hand so that I can wipe him if need be. He does have nice firm poop so that probably helps

sinbadsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sinbad, who was half Himalayan, had very long britches (which I didn't want to trim) and she'd have that problem occasionally. She didn't want to have to clean herself then -- she used to get the most incredible look on her face if it was ever necessary -- so I'd usually put her in the tub, have just a trickle of warm water flowing down from the faucet behind her, and wash her off with my own hands. Messy, yes, but really no worse than changing a kid's messy diaper. I didn't want to soak her more with a spray. I'd have lots of paper towels handy and use those to dry her off afterward, including her hind feet since those would be wet, and then she'd run off and play.

It's best to take care of this right away, if possible, before it dries.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually they will clean themselves but not always. I had a Persian some time back, that wouldn't clean her own bottom. It just got worse. I finally had to take her in to a groomer and have her bathed and have a sanitary shave (around the butt and privates). That was before I did my own grooming. So.... if your cat takes care of it, that's great! If not, you may want to try patting the bottom with a warm, wet washcloth or papertowels. Or if worse comes to worse, you can have a groomer give the cat a "sanitary".

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stan only gets the butt issues when he has soft poo, but just in case I keep him trimmed back there. Now, he's a VERY laid-back little guy, but it's sometimes a two person job (someone has to distract him with food or chin scratches), very sharp scissors make it quick work.

I started this when he had soft poo the first few days I had him and he left poo marks on the window sills

He can eventually clean it off himself, but he had a nasty tongue sore when I got him from the rescue and I didn't want him to lick anymore poo than he had to

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Out of my 5 long hairs I have 4 that will have "cling-on" issues. I try to keep them all shaved back there so we can avoid the problem. I also found that the lower I keep the level of litter in the litterbox the better, when I first refill the litterboxes is when I have the most "cling-on" problems.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittycorner

Out of my 5 long hairs I have 4 that will have "cling-on" issues. I try to keep them all shaved back there so we can avoid the problem. I also found that the lower I keep the level of litter in the litterbox the better, when I first refill the litterboxes is when I have the most "cling-on" problems.
Ohhh, that's a good point about the litter level. Besides that possible mess, Pumpkin has a goofy habit of crowding into a box that already has a cat in it too...there's a box for each cat but she'll find the one with an occupant...she must like the buddy system. She's actually been peed on before.