New face, new kitty, minor problem!

johnny_vegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and a new cat owner, and I'd like to introduce myself and my cat, Abby.

Abby is a very sweet cat with what I consider a minor problem--she is terrified of my ceiling fans, whether they are moving or not! I'm sure that since she's new here, and may have never seen a ceiling fan before (I adopted her from a local animal shelter) that she will eventually come around...for now she pretty much just barricades herself in the bathroom where she feels safe. I can pick her up and walk around with her; she always cautiously eyes the fan when I walk into a room with one, and when I put her down she lets out a low growl and scurries back into the bathroom.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this, and if there's anything I can do to try and make her more comfortable here?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Abby is very cute!
But I'm sorry to learn of her phobia. Did you ask the shelter about it?
Maybe you should get rid of the fans.

xenawonteat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe she had a bad experience with fans?
I'm sure she'll come around once she realizes there is no danger. Pamper her and make her feel safe and so happy she won't even notice the fan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnny_vegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not sure if she ever had a negative experience with a ceiling fan before...maybe to her it looks like a huge predator looming in the air or something. But getting rid of the fans is out of the question...I rent

She's the sweetest cat ever when she's just chilling out in the bathroom, I hope she comes around soon!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable! I hope she comes around soon and realizes she's safe. And, like I'm sure everyone else here with much more knowledge will tell you, let her come around on her own time, and don't force her. She sounds like a very sweet cat, and when she realizes you (and hence her attention!) are not always in the bathroom, she'll brave those scary old fans! Until then, I agree:

Originally Posted by xenawonteat

Pamper her and make her feel safe and so happy she won't even notice the fan.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to associate good things with the fans. Bring her into the room and give her a treat, or put a bowl of her favorite food in view of the fan if that works, move the bowl closer the next day. If she enjoys grooming try brushing her in that room (or in view of the fan). Many cats are very food motivated, in time many will get distracted by the treat and forget about the evil fan... keep in mind that she's also new, not sure about you, or if she's staying in her new home.

It may just be a matter of time and good associations.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought Junior into my house, it was November. All winter he saw the fans on the ceilings and didn't have a problem (they weren't running). Five months later, when I turned one of them on ...he freaked. He didn't come into my bedroom for about a week. Gradually, he calmed down...entering the room at night when it was "safe" (fans were on but it was dark - go figure). It took a couple of weeks before he quit nervously checking the ceiling in every room. He was a feral kitten born in my garage ...so I know he hadn't had a bad fan experience, but he was a little skittish.

Your kitty may take a bit longer, but have faith...she'll come around. She's adorable!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitty! She is just adorable.

It will just take her some time to settle in and get used to things. Giving her a treat in view of the fan, etc. is a great idea.

Good luck!

johnny_vegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the tips, everyone...Abby is already coming around and learning that the fan is not out to get her. Provided I'm in the room, she will usually get up the courage to walk in and take a look around. I'm sure it won't be long until she's bossing me around the place

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may want to put her in the bathroom before you vacuum! The only cat we have that isn't terrified of the vacuum monster is the deaf one!

I'm glad she's coming around. Kitties just operate on their own timetable. As pointed out earlier, food can help. But patience wins out.

Laurie

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS

Abby is adorable/

I can't add anything about the ceiling fan that the others haven't already told you.
I'm sure she'll get used to it before very long.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome to TCS, Abby is such a cutie

Anywho though, every one here has given really good advice and just remember it will take her some time but let her do it on he own and she will eventually get used to it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure you're not talking about my Callie??
I've had her for 9 years and she's about 11 yo. She's always been afraid of fans when they're off, especially if the blades are dark wooden against a white ceiling. I've learned that it just takes time, lots of positive reinforcement, and love to overcome the fear. Even then, she still gets spooked occasionally by them.

Stephanie

johnny_vegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has really come around in the past 24 hours! Now she's gotten pretty bold. She's even made my bed...well, her bed, haha! She barely seems to notice the fans anymore. She does still look at them from time to time, but hardly more than a glance.

Doesn't look like a scaredy-cat anymore, does she?

Thanks again for all the positive posts, everyone!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's only been with you a few days and just needs time to get used to the house and the things in it. Did the shelter say where she came from intitially? Maybe off the streets or from an outside farm where she's never seen the inside of a house.

Be patient, get lots of kittens toys (like on the strings) and play with her. She'll explore more when she feels more comfortable.

BTW don't be surprised that she vanishes when the vaccumn cleaner is turned on.

Thanks to the comment about the fan. While Chalie is pretty outgoing, never thought about the fan being on when he's never seen it. He was born end of August, so more then likely his breeder didn't have fans running
We'll have to turn on the dining room fan and watch his reaction.