Kenya cats pics

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We went to Africa last year and did a safari in Kenya. Thought you guys might appreciate some of the photos.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are fantastic pictures!
Sometimes I swear my kits think they're big cats like that. They forget that they're really just tiny kittens...

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at those gorgeous kitties!! That's amazing. I love the baby! And, that majestic beast in the last picture is the most stunning of all!

Seriously though, that must have been truly breath taking, to be so close!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG! They are great pictures! I was going to go this year but decided to buy a really good camera so I can get good pictures first. The plan now is to go next year with my brother.
May I ask where you stayed? Was it a lodge or camping?
I love the cheetah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

OMG! They are great pictures! I was going to go this year but decided to buy a really good camera so I can get good pictures first. The plan now is to go next year with my brother.
May I ask where you stayed? Was it a lodge or camping?
I love the cheetah
We went to the Masai Mara which is the northern part of the Serengeti. It's about a 5 hour road trip from Nairobi. We went the camping route, which was fun but next time I'd stay in an inexpensive hotel so we would have access to electricity for charging our camera.

I'll PM you with some more detail.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those are amazing! What a wonderful experience that must have been!
The cheetah is breathtaking.
Love the tabby under the tablecloth!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Those are amazing! What a wonderful experience that must have been!
The cheetah is breathtaking.
Love the tabby under the tablecloth!
It was a wonderful experience. My partner and I were lucky enough to get the opportunity to work near Kenya this past summer, so I had most of my flights payed for and the immunizations. We just extended the air tickets home by 3 weeks so we could go to Kenya for vacation.

Isn't the little tabby a cutie? She was owned by a hotel restaurant that we ate at. She was healthy and a good weight, which you don't often see in developing countries. She obviously had regular kitchen and guest snacks all year round! Either there were no male cats around or she had been fixed (unlikely as I never saw a pet vet anywhere...only livestock vets), because there was only one other cat there, who was her daughter. Probably why she looked healthy, as she wasn't having kittens all the time.

On the subject of tabby, there is an article somewhere on this site, that says most cats have hidden tabby markings. If you look at the back thighs on the lion cubs, you can see hints of stripes!!! Cute!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol took like 15 min to load those pics, but was worth it. Great pics.
I have never been to africa before,I never wanted to go there.
But it must have been a great thing to do and see in person.
Trips like that kinda stay with you.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol took like 15 min to load those pics, but was worth it. Great pics.
I have never been to africa before,I never wanted to go there.
But it must have been a great thing to do and see in person.
Trips like that kinda stay with you.
It was definetly your server that made it take so long! If i were back in Africa, there's no way I would have even be able to use TCS due to the slowness. Hotmail took an hour some nights, just for one letter!
Glad you liked them.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I missed this thread. Great pics! It must have been quite the experience being able to get so close!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are such wonderful pictures! I'm sure that was an amazing experience for you. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

and yes, that last one sure looks like a fierce beast

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There have been studies that show domestic cats to be closest in behavior to lion prides (mostly females & young with 1-3 males) and lion coalitions (all males). I'm absolutely fascinated by lions and catch every last documentary I can find on them. I use the lessons I learn from them when I work with my cats. My advice in behavior usually follows the rules of the pride/coalition.

Thanks for sharing - I am envious!!!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What wonderful pix! You're so lucky to be able to see these large cats up close. Especially that cheetah.. WOW

But the last picture is my favourite