Lungworm

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My otis has been fighting a cough and after many talks with the vet- we think that he might have a case of lungworm again. Now Maribelle is not acting like her usual self either- and she has been hiding in the most unusual places. I was listening to her breathing and it sounds like to me she might be congested as well. Can lungworm be spread from cat to cat?

Shani

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi, I hope they get to feeling better soon.

Please keep us updated on how they are doing.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never even heard of these!

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon to answer your question. Just wanted to let you know I'm sending get well wishes to your kitties.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faganfamily1

Hi all,

My otis has been fighting a cough and after many talks with the vet- we think that he might have a case of lungworm again. Now Maribelle is not acting like her usual self either- and she has been hiding in the most unusual places. I was listening to her breathing and it sounds like to me she might be congested as well. Can lungworm be spread from cat to cat?

Shani
I'm not familiar with lungworms either, but from some googling it sounds like the larvae are shed in feces, much like other parasites...so I would say yes - it could be spread from cat to cat. This info below makes it sound like the 'intermediate host' is not a cat, but the cat's prey...but from what I know sharing a litterbox or grooming each other is enough for most parasites to spread.

From http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/hea...lungworm.htm#b

In the case of Aelurostrongylus abstrusus adult worms lay their eggs in the small airways of the lungs (the bronchioles and alveolar ducts). When the eggs hatch the larvae that emerge damage lung tissue before they are coughed up, swallowed and passed out in the cat's faeces. Once in the environment the larvae need to be eaten by another host (eg birds, molluscs or rodents) which is called an intermediate host. Cats then get re-infected when they eat their prey and the larvae migrate from the gastrointestinal tract to the lungs where they develop into adults , and the lifecycle of the worm begins again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Here is a little update- we gave otis panacur, and he seems to be doing the same. I am going to be taking him to the vet in the next few weeks- Mirabelle is doing ok- I am watching her for symptoms. Unfortunately lungworm is not that common- my vet didnt believe me when I told her that he had been treated for it before.

Shani

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You learn something new every day. I'm familiar with lungworms from hedgehogs, but had no idea that cats could get them, too. That's a scary thought. I hope Otis is better soon.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can definitely be spread from cat to cat - my Persil was suspected of having it at one time (it turned out to be something else) and my vet wanted me to isolate her from the others.