Can someone help me out here?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was searching up genealogy sites that families made here in town. I found one that listed the names of everyone buried in the old cemetery. There are also details of the deceased, like who they are related to, etc. I found out something really odd... I noticed a few babies born in the 1920s were buried with only half their body.
After a while I noticed that everyone buried with half their body was a baby (no adults buried like that), and all of the babies were born in either 1919, 1920, or 1920. One unknown baby's torso was found in the creek.

I think this is really odd and I want to find out the reason for all of this. If anyone has any ideas about this, just reply.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like everyone's as confused as I am.
I just feel bad for the babies.

ETA: Dur dur dur, I meant 1921 for the last year. Here's the link to the site.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing i can add that will help you.
I know of some torso killings in cleveland ohio, from a long time ago.
and a few other places.

also in the old days(older then the time period you are talking about)
it was not uncommon to cut off the legs and put them on the chest.
that what led to the skull and crossbones flag that some pirates used.

you could try searching the net for crimes during that time?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. I can see one or two maybe being the result of a tragic accident but to have dozens? Weird.

Maybe it was some weird Satanic ritual where they sacrificed babies or something.

Now I'm probably going to spend the rest of the night trying to get to the bottom of this too, LOL

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty interesting! You do know that is the time of the Influenza Pandemic that killed millions around the world? Maybe it's related to that. In some American cities it was difficult to even BURY the dead...

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very wierd. could you somehow check with the archives or something. What about obituaries? They would have probably mentioned the deaths in the newspaper. that could give you a clue.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd also suggest calling the Cemetary and asking. Also try emailing the person who put that site together. They did a fair bit of research so perhaps they foudn answers to that as well.

Another source would be the library and looking at news papers from back in those years. Also, maybe there is a historian society for Moose Jaw that has some more information about those years and if there was anything happening that would attribute to infants dying and being buried with only their upper or lower body.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will find that where it says upper or lower body it means two babies were buried in the same grave one on top of the other.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I think you will find that where it says upper or lower body it means two babies were buried in the same grave one on top of the other.
You know that makes perfect sense! And that's probably exactly it. As said above Influenza killed millions and they probably ran out of space and had to bury people in occupied graves.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anakat, you're brilliant!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You know that makes perfect sense! And that's probably exactly it. As said above Influenza killed millions and they probably ran out of space and had to bury people in occupied graves.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anakat, that could be it! In 1914 there was a typhoid outbreak, and an influenza pandemic that hit Moose Jaw in October of 1918. I didn't even check if any of these babies were buried in the same grave. I'll go check it out.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so Anakat was right, there were 2 babies to each grave. Thank god there was no baby killer or some freak accident.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! Reminded me of a PBS program on cemeteries and one in Florida (Key West I think) does that. They showed one plot where there is a person in the ground and on top is a crypt of 2 more.