what is it?

msiebert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that are gray/black tiger striped with white bellys and brown on the face and front paws. Does this make them calico? Thank you!
Melissa

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No - calicos are black/blue with red/cream and the white.

A patched tabby would be brown/blue/silver stripes with the red/cream stripes and the white.

If you post a picture, I can tell you what your cats are. From the decription it sounds like either a brown tabby or blue tabby.

Are your cats male or female?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msiebert

I have 2 cats that are gray/black tiger striped with white bellys and brown on the face and front paws. Does this make them calico? Thank you!
Melissa
I am always confused on what exactly a calico is, but I have been told that Alley, shown below is a calico. I have read that calicos are almost always female.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Alley is a calico. Usually this is how I tell the difference between calico and tortie and white.

Think of calico as a white cat with patches of black and red on her body. A tortie and white would mainly be the black and red colors with the white restricted to some on face, chest, belly and legs.

Some cats are borderline on calico vs tortie/white - and some associations just classify them as one or the other

Alley COULD be a borderline cat but I think she's calico