TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › 12 y/o male attitude........GRRR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

12 y/o male attitude........GRRR.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I just looooove the 12 y/o male attitude!! He(my son) will not quit hounding me to take him to Wal Mart to go buy him some damn PS2 game(mind you he has no $$) He is just so use to having things handed to him, courtesy of my mother!

Hes walking around here saying crap like "of course, you never buy me anything" blah blah blah!!! I bought him 2 games in like 3 mos and both of them he played MAYBE once and now he hates them and says they are boring. He also is getting some VERY bad grades in school so I personally dont think he deserves to have anything bought for him right now. Am I being a mean *mom*?? I know he will cry to my mom about it, and she will probly give in and buy it for him. Its a never ending story..........I SWEAR!!!
post #2 of 11
You are definitely not being a mean mom...but your mom is being a granma...I swear...granmas are the worse when it comes to spoiling grandkids!

Here's a thought...since your son doesn't like the games you bought him, is there a place where he can trade them in for $$$s or games? There used to be a place like that around here, Alex Jr would do that back in the day when he was so into games. I think your son should bring his grades up for sure before he gets anything like that. Or maybe make him do some chores around the house to earn the money or the game itself.

Hilda >^..^<
post #3 of 11
No you're being a normal mum. You can't give them everything. I wouldn't be like that with my mum now because of my age and i can buy my own things, i wasnt like that before though either. I realise she works hard. My dad on the otherhand is an arsehole and deserves the whining
post #4 of 11
Wow, this all sounds so familiar
I have an 11 1/2 year old stepson with 4 set's of grandparent's that will give him whatever he want's. If I tell him no, or that we can't afford it right now, he ultimately will find someone that can
It can be so frustrating! I really want him to understand that you have to work for what you want, later in life it is not going to come so easily. How is this generation going to survive the "outside world" if they aren't taught to live in it?? Sorry for my rant, I had to get that off of my chest
post #5 of 11
But MOOOOMMMMM (if you've ever seen South Park, think of how Cartman says this) EVERYONE has (fill in the blank)

Ugh. I have a 13 year old girl, and they are the same as boys.

We've had the cell phone issue going on here. She doesn't need one, isn't going to get one any time in the near future. And I really don't care if every other kid in the 7th grade has one (and I can say with some authority they DON'T)

Well- you are being a "mean mom", but I say that in a good way. I told my kids that I love being the "mean mom". Kids don't need everything handed to them on a silver platter. No, I don't think he deserves the games right now, especially if there are grade problems.

Both grandmas are really good. The kids used to get stuff all the time from them. Then they got older- their "toys" got more expensive, the grandparents didn't want to pay for them anymore. So they can't cry to grandma if they want anything, b/c grandma's gonna say "no way".
post #6 of 11
OMG, This is why I'm not having kids They are so ungrateful I can't stand it.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks View Post
Hes walking around here saying crap like "of course, you never buy me anything"
I have the same issue with my nephew. when i used to watch him sometimes.
my answer to was= did you eat today, then i guess i did buy you something.

for xmas the boy asked me to buy him, new xbox and ps3, the girl asked me to buy her a laptop...

my answer was, get a job then you can buy whatever you want.
post #8 of 11
Nope. Not being mean at all.

While he doesn't realize it yet, kids do need to have limits set and to hear the word "no!"

There was a news documentary on this a few days ago. I wanted to watch it but forgot.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Nope. Not being mean at all.

While he doesn't realize it yet, kids do need to have limits set and to hear the word "no!"

There was a news documentary on this a few days ago. I wanted to watch it but forgot.
Oh trust me he knows the word "NO" very well(from me anyways,lol) but when he cries to my mom most the time she gives in! She has a VERY hard time saying no to him...........
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks View Post
Oh trust me he knows the word "NO" very well(from me anyways,lol) but when he cries to my mom most the time she gives in! She has a VERY hard time saying no to him...........
I say have a sit down talk with your mom. Tell her you really appreciate how much love and support your children get from her, but you would like her to stop buying things. She is welcome to spend time with the boy and play with him, etc, but any purchase over, say, $20 has to be okay'd by you. Because at the age you're talking about, they really do run up as big a bill as they can. The I Want list is a bottomless pit and all gramma is doing by giving in is painting the word sucker on her forehead and undermining your decision.

As for your son, you are being a real mom, not a mean one. Parents who are afraid to upset their children end up with kids who rule the roost and make the whole family miserable. He needs to learn to work for what he wants, just like you said. Good luck!
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leli View Post
I say have a sit down talk with your mom. Tell her you really appreciate how much love and support your children get from her, but you would like her to stop buying things. She is welcome to spend time with the boy and play with him, etc, but any purchase over, say, $20 has to be okay'd by you. Because at the age you're talking about, they really do run up as big a bill as they can. The I Want list is a bottomless pit and all gramma is doing by giving in is painting the word sucker on her forehead and undermining your decision.

As for your son, you are being a real mom, not a mean one. Parents who are afraid to upset their children end up with kids who rule the roost and make the whole family miserable. He needs to learn to work for what he wants, just like you said. Good luck!

Thanks hun One thing is he does *live* with her umm, part time. Its a long story, but nothing bad. My parents got "legal guardianship" of him when he was a baby because his "dad" is a worthless POS! And I was only like 16 at the time....so it was in his best interest. But he knows all about it, and he loves to *play* me and my mom against each other. He knows he can really push my buttons by doing this.

Anyhoo-I have told her over and over and over to stop spoiling him, and well....it just dont work!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › 12 y/o male attitude........GRRR.