Would you wear a sweater made from your cat's fur?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a serious question. I brush my longhaired cat daily and remove an abundant amout of fur. The other night we had a tailor over to our house and she commented on the beautiful coat that Persi had and asked me what I was doing with all of the fur I was removing. Well, I had been just throwing it away but she told me that she could make a most beautiful sweater or even coat out of the fur if I would save it. Of course I would have to save it for quite some time but I remove two handfuls daily and the tailor predicted within a year that she could make something truly beautiful. So now I am thinking, would this be sick or would it in fact be quite the tribute to your cat to announce to people that you were wearing your cat? There are a lot of people that object to fur coats but it seems to me this is different, I have to remove the fur daily anyway so why not save it? So, I am saving it, I do not know if I will ever do anything with it but DW tells me she would be proud to wear something like that. What do you think? I would be greatly influenced by what TCS members thought about this.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't know. It is a serious question. My first instinct would be no, it's just too wierd. But everyone has their own opinion, I just don't think I could do it.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't think I would want to. Just seems strange to me plus I'm not a sweater person any way.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i wear sweaters COVERED in cat fur everyday
I would maybe have a scarf made, but not a sweater

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

i wear sweaters COVERED in cat fur everyday
I would maybe have a scarf made, but not a sweater
That's exactly what I was thinking---my sweaters already LOOK like they're made from my cat's fur...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the amount of fur I brush off Whitey I could make a replica of him.
I'd rather do that then a sweater.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw something similar on a TV show. The guy had an old dog that he adored, and had been saving the fur from brushing. He gave it to a woman who made a wonderful yarn from the fur, and then he had the yarn knitted into a hat. That way he could always have his companion and friend with him.
The hat turned out really nice, and he said it was the softest thing he had ever worn.

I don't know if I would do a sweater, but a hat or scarf I would definitely consider.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I don't think I would wear it but it would be a nice thing to have after they are no longer with us.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Abbysmom, I think it would make me wheeze!

That sounds crazy from a crazy cat lady who has 8 cats...but it's just the loose hair that bothers me...I only have a problem if I don't vacuum often enough. I think the sweater would have me reaching for the Benadryl.

But anyway, it sounds cute but I'd have to pass.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a little weird... I mean, I would be kinda creeped out if someone offered to make a sweater for Zissou out of my hair! But what matters is what your wife thinks-- if she wants a sweater made out of Persi's fur, then do it, and who cares what other people think? If it would be made the way I am assuming it would be, it wouldn't look like anything different unless you told people.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear so much of my cats' fur already - it would be a nice thing to have such a soft, luxurious sweater that I don't have to worry about getting cat fur on!

I think it's a great idea as long as no kitties are harmed in the making of the sweater - recycle, recycle!

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No sweater or hat or scarf for me. What I would make it into would be a throw of some sort...like an afghan or just something you can carry with you or keep on your bed. I think that would be better than a sweater...but that's just my idea you know...if you want a sweater...then have her make a sweater.

Hilda >^..^<

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

No sweater or hat or scarf for me. What I would make it into would be a throw of some sort...like an afghan or just something you can carry with you or keep on your bed. I think that would be better than a sweater...but that's just my idea you know...if you want a sweater...then have her make a sweater.

Hilda >^..^<

I could never wear something made of fur. I know no one was hurt to make it but it just does not feel right. I would though love to curl up with a blanket of Karmas fur. It would be a nice reminer when the time comes to say goodbye to her. I could have something forever that would feel and smell like her.

I often wonder about things like that. Now you can get a man made diamond made from the ashes of loved ones. That seems kind of cold but a blanket would be warm and fuzzy

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I don't think I would wear a sweater made out of any of my cats fur.

Oddly enough a guy I work with suggested that I save my OWN hair, and make a sweater out of it. He said he knew a girl who did that. I told him "No Thank You".

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another allergic here - and that's just a little too strange for me too! I throw the cat fur outside in the spring - the birdies love it to line their nests with - keeps the babies nice and warm and comfy!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think having something knitted with cat fur yarn is a lot less freaky than having him stuffed or freeze dried after he dies.

I've seen stories about people who have done this. I love him to pieces but that would be too much.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Considering that I manage to take a little black, gray or white cat hair with me wherever I go, don't think there's any need for a sweater!