Conditioner why didn't I think of this before.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Levi has always had ruff fur & he doesn't clean himself great. Well last week I bought the matching conditioner for the shampoo I use on him. Last night I told him I had waited long enough his coat looked terrible & it was time for a bth. So I washed & conditioned his fur. It's never been this soft. He wouldn't come near me until dinner time. Then I was his best friend. I'm really pleased with how good he looks & feels today (& frankly how he smells). I know other people wash their cats, but does anyone else use conditioner. (BTW, I did ask the vet about the condition of his coat & she wasn't concerned)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ALWAYS used conditioner of some type on my rexes - I used the Nexxus brand of shampoo/conditioner.

With Charlie I have special pet shampoo that his breeder uses and it doesn't need any conditioner.

When Ling got washed, she got conditioner too (she's our HHP).

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

My Levi has always had ruff fur & he doesn't clean himself great. Well last week I bought the matching conditioner for the shampoo I use on him. Last night I told him I had waited long enough his coat looked terrible & it was time for a bth. So I washed & conditioned his fur. It's never been this soft. He wouldn't come near me until dinner time. Then I was his best friend. I'm really pleased with how good he looks & feels today (& frankly how he smells). I know other people wash their cats, but does anyone else use conditioner. (BTW, I did ask the vet about the condition of his coat & she wasn't concerned)
It makes a big difference using conditioner or a conditioning shampoo! I just use a conditioning cat shampoo (along with other tricks because Jake's coat gets really greasy.) And I always recommend finding one specific to cats. There are too many things in human shampoo that are ok for us but can be harmful to animals. And there are things that are ok for dogs that aren't for cats.

Good job! Congratulations!

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used it on a cat. But I do on Kota sometimes. Especially in the winter or early spring when her coat is dry ( like it is now) and it needs a little extra to soften it. Often when you have forced heat it drys the coat out some. So I find conditioner does the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

It makes a big difference using conditioner or a conditioning shampoo! I just use a conditioning cat shampoo (along with other tricks because Jake's coat gets really greasy.) And I always recommend finding one specific to cats. There are too many things in human shampoo that are ok for us but can be harmful to animals. And there are things that are ok for dogs that aren't for cats.

Good job! Congratulations!
So are some cats coats just greaser than other cats? His just seems greasy, especially right above the base of his tail. He a DSH & neutered. It's almost like stud tail, but I didn't think neutered males got stud tail?
I use a cat shampoo & conditioner called "Tails". It's a wheat grass based shampoo & conditioner & I love the way it smells. It's got a sweet smell, but it's not over powering & the other cats don't seem to mind him smelling good.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use conditioner on my Persian after a bath and then rinse him really good. It makes him so much likely to tangle and his fur is so soft and much easier to brush. I put some in a cup fill it with water and pour it over him then rinse..

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

So are some cats coats just greaser than other cats? His just seems greasy, especially right above the base of his tail. He a DSH & neutered. It's almost like stud tail, but I didn't think neutered males got stud tail?
I use a cat shampoo & conditioner called "Tails". It's a wheat grass based shampoo & conditioner & I love the way it smells. It's got a sweet smell, but it's not over powering & the other cats don't seem to mind him smelling good.
Yes, some cats coats are greasier then others. My red mackrel tabby, Jake, gets a greasy coat. For him, it's his chest, belly and back of legs. So for Jake it wouldn't be stud tail. And maybe your cat just has greasy spots like Jake. I don't know.... But with Jake I have to first rub Goop (yes, hand cleaner) into his greasy spots. Then I rinse, then shampoo with Dawn dishwashing liquid and rinse and then I use his conditioning shampoo and rinse with 3 gallons of water with 3 Tablespoons of white vinegar. If I wash him that way, it lasts 1-2 months. It's quite the process. 2 weeks ago I bathed him with just the shampoo and vinegar rinse and within a few days he looked kind of greasy again. So now I have to bathe him again. That's what I get for taking short cuts! Oh yeah, and because so many cattery's use goop on their show cats, they've now come out with a groomers Goop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at my Foster's & Smith catalog last night & saw the shampoo I used & it said detergent free. I can't belive how good his coat looks. I can even get a comb through his back easily.