Sense of smell

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've wondered for a while now if Sho's sense of smell was bad. He acts like he can smell things but not very well.

Example, the other day I was chopping up onions and Tomas wouldn't leave me alone, he just had to see what I was doing. So I let him sniff a piece of onion
he backed up fast and made a horribly disgusted scrunched up face.
Sho sees this and walks over, sniffs it, sits there, sniffs it some more, sits there, looks at me as if to say "what's the big deal?
". These were some really strong onions too, my eyes were burning and he didn't even blink!
Again this morning Tomas just had to see what I was chopping up, this time turnip greens. Same response, he backed up and made a disgusted face. Sho walks over to see what the deal was, sniffs, no response, walks off. He's acted the same way over strong citrus smells too.
I wonder if this is why he didn't seem remotely upset over Tomas smelling like vet's office after his neutering.

As a kitten Sho had a bad URI that was mostly in his nose/sinuses. He snores, he sometimes gets that whistley sound to his nose when he breaths, other times he sneezes a bit or will have a slight runny nose. The vet commented about possible "sinus problems".

Has anyone else had a cat that acted like it couldn't smell things or couldn't smell very well?

The only problem I've seen with it is that he has tried to eat non food items that cats normally wouldn't, small rocks that people have brought in on their shoes, clumps of dirt out of the house plants, small pieces of sticks, etc.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepsi always comes into the kitchen when I´m chopping, whatever it might be......onions, veg......or the bit she is most interested in ...if I am preparing chicken.....so she usually gets a little treat. So I think she just comes in to check whats on offer
When I´m doing onions, I say Pepsi its only onion cant you smell the darn things...but no....I have to show her a piece, so maybe its the same thing ????

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the different reactions can be normal to some degree. Although onions are awfully strong smelling - and you make a good point about his medical history.

If I offer canteloupe to Junior, he'll sniff it and dive in to eat it. I put some in front of Pumpkin and she scrunched up her nose, closed her eyes, and then swatted at the melon!! I think Pumpkin is a 'super taster' LOL. Slightly off topic, but another example of how different cats react to different smells.

You might mention his taste for rocks / dirt to the vet, if you haven't already.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've wondered for a while now if Sho's sense of smell was bad. He acts like he can smell things but not very well.

Example, the other day I was chopping up onions and Tomas wouldn't leave me alone, he just had to see what I was doing. So I let him sniff a piece of onion
he backed up fast and made a horribly disgusted scrunched up face.
Sho sees this and walks over, sniffs it, sits there, sniffs it some more, sits there, looks at me as if to say "what's the big deal?
". These were some really strong onions too, my eyes were burning and he didn't even blink!
Again this morning Tomas just had to see what I was chopping up, this time turnip greens. Same response, he backed up and made a disgusted face. Sho walks over to see what the deal was, sniffs, no response, walks off. He's acted the same way over strong citrus smells too.
I wonder if this is why he didn't seem remotely upset over Tomas smelling like vet's office after his neutering.

As a kitten Sho had a bad URI that was mostly in his nose/sinuses. He snores, he sometimes gets that whistley sound to his nose when he breaths, other times he sneezes a bit or will have a slight runny nose. The vet commented about possible "sinus problems".

Has anyone else had a cat that acted like it couldn't smell things or couldn't smell very well?

The only problem I've seen with it is that he has tried to eat non food items that cats normally wouldn't, small rocks that people have brought in on their shoes, clumps of dirt out of the house plants, small pieces of sticks, etc.
I was enjoying the reading of your thread when all of a sudden I see "I was chopping up, this time turnip greens".

That was it for me. I Looooovvve turnip greens and haven't had them in years. Unfortunately they are not sold in our stores. I'm so envious - you are having them for dinner tonight right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I was enjoying the reading of your thread when all of a sudden I see "I was chopping up, this time turnip greens".

That was it for me. I Looooovvve turnip greens and haven't had them in years. Unfortunately they are not sold in our stores. I'm so envious - you are having them for dinner tonight right?
EWWW NO! Turtle food

Strange that they're not sold there, maybe in summer? or you could get some turnip green seeds (different from regular turnips) and plant them in spring.

Originally Posted by beandip

You might mention his taste for rocks / dirt to the vet, if you haven't already.
It's not so much that he has a taste for either, but that the pieces where food sized. He doesn't dig in the plants after dirt and doesn't try to eat larger rocks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 and a half years.
He's always acted like he couldn't smell well but until the other day I never noticed he didn't respond to extremely pungent smells.
The dirt and rock attempts were a couple of years ago, he doesn't eat anything off of the floor now. I could drop a piece of chicken on the floor and he won't touch it, it has to be handed to him or in his bowl.