How do you tell how far along she is?

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright, well my family recently just moved to an accerage south of town. When we got there there were 3 barn cats, who are named Kalli, Kande, and Pumpkin. All of them were very friendly. Though I haven't seen Punkin and Kande for a couple days. I am like 98% sure that Kalli is pregnant. But I would like to know how far along she is.I gave her a box with towels in it before I knew she was pregnant, because I thought she would like something warmer to sleep in. I found out shes pregnant, because 1 she hasn' t gone into heat since I've live here, and I'm pretty sure that shes not fixed. Also her nipples are larger and red/pinker than normal. She eats tons of food, and her belly seems to be inlarging. And its not just fat, because it if was I don't think it would be a hard as it it. It would be jiggly. So does anyone know any way to tell how far along she is?

My parents are divorced and I'm at my dads right now. Or I could go take a picture of her and put it on here.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post a picture when you can. If she has pink nipples I would say at least 3 weeks once she starts to groom the fur and she ends up bald there then it is like 2 maybe 3 weeks before birth. This is just my experiences.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

Alright, well my family recently just moved to an accerage south of town. When we got there there were 3 barn cats, who are named Kalli, Kande, and Pumpkin. All of them were very friendly. Though I haven't seen Punkin and Kande for a couple days. I am like 98% sure that Kalli is pregnant. But I would like to know how far along she is.I gave her a box with towels in it before I knew she was pregnant, because I thought she would like something warmer to sleep in. I found out shes pregnant, because 1 she hasn' t gone into heat since I've live here, and I'm pretty sure that shes not fixed. Also her nipples are larger and red/pinker than normal. She eats tons of food, and her belly seems to be inlarging. And its not just fat, because it if was I don't think it would be a hard as it it. It would be jiggly. So does anyone know any way to tell how far along she is?

My parents are divorced and I'm at my dads right now. Or I could go take a picture of her and put it on here.
Welcome to TCS....just for your information, cats do not have to be in "heat" to become pregnant. An intact female can become pregnant at any time, so I would HIGHLY recommend that you get Punkin and Kande spayed or else they too will become pregnant. Kallie should be brought indoors if she is friendly so that she can have her kittens indoors. Kittens born outdoors have a far greater chance of dying and you will want to be able to keep an eye on Kalli to make sure she doesn't have any distress and so that you can get her spayed after she has weaned these kittens. There are plenty of organizations that can supply you with spayed/neutered cats that would be great as outdoor barn cats if you ever need more.

If you do not have a spare room, a large dog crate would suffice. The best way to know how far along she is to have her seen by a vet and unless you know the date that she mated, it will be rather difficult to get you an exact date even with a picture.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying!
My mom called me today, and said that the previous owners came for the cats today, but they only wanted Punkin and Kande. I'm guessing that they saw that Kalli was pregnant and didn't want to deal with the kittens. I'm pretty sure that Punkin was neutered, but I'm not so sure about kande, so my guess is that she was probably pregnant too. Good luck to them. Anyway I think I am going to put Kalli in my garage. Its empty except for some furniture. She wouldn't get run over or anything since we don't use the garage, its like 30 ft from the house. Its also heated. But the only problem with that is my indoor cat is living in there right now. Since my step-dad is seriousely allergic to cats, or she would be in the house. But I spend tons of time in the garage with her. So I could put Kalli in the garage, but I would be afraid how the two cats meeting would go. And i definitley wouldn't want either of them to get hurt. If I would put her in there, she would probabley go back outside after its warmer and the kittens are older, because I'm sure my other cat would rather be by herself.

I never knew that shelters would allow cats to be barn cats. I would love to have more cats. I wonder if there are any organizations near me...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I would put her in there, she would probabley go back outside after its warmer and the kittens are older, because I'm sure my other cat would rather be by herself.
Make sure you get her spayed first before allowing her back outdoors.

As far as introducing your own cat and Kalli, if there is a way that you can give Kalli her own space in the garage, that would be best. Get a hold of a large dog crate if you can't provide Kalli with her own space.

The groups below conduct TNR and are in your state. They may know some feral cats that need homes:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#ia

Otherwise, contact Alley Cat Allies:

http://www.alleycat.org/contact.html

and I'm sure they could probably get you in touch with someone who needs to relocate some feral cats.

Katie

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty good sized dog kennel but she woudn't have a alot of space, but maybe I could figure out some way to somehow section off my garage. We are for sure getting her spayed before she goes outside again, I love kittens, but I would rather get a kitten that needs a home, then make any more.

Thanks for the websites, I will have to check them out!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those site were really helpful, thanks!
I'll have to talk to my mom about getting any more animals, but I highly doubt she'd care. Its ususally her idea to get more animals. I am going to put pictures of Kalli on as soon as I can get to go home, so you can take a good guess at it. I'm supposed to go back Thursay. But we're in a major ice/snow storm and quite a few towns around here have no power and a lot of houses in the country don't either and my mom is one of them. They haven't had it out there since Saturday, and aren't supposed to get it back untill next week, so I don' t know when I am going to go back, since there's no water or anything like that there. So she wants me to stay in town. The only reason shes still out there is because someone has to feed wood to the wood stove, or the water pipes will freeze and they will break. But I might actually go out there sometime soon to get some stuff, so I will take pictures if I'm there.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just becareful. We can wait on pictures as long as you are safe. I am in Utah and we are baried in snow so I know what ya mean. Alot had no power. I am thankful we did.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I just wanted to let you know I'm a Pregnant Cat & Kitten Buddy if you need any help, advice, etc. I'm not sure you can PM me - I know that I can't PM you...but get ahold of me if you need any more help with your kitty. It would be great if she could live in the garage for a while. My vet told me that they like to "disappear" when it's time to give birth, and then if they need help you can't be there for them.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just becareful. We can wait on pictures as long as you are safe. I am in Utah and we are baried in snow so I know what ya mean. Alot had no power. I am thankful we did.
Yeah, there wasn't power here for 6 days. I came the day the power came back. They had to melt snow to flush the toliets So glad I wasn't here. We have almost four feet of snow. I can't wait untill it melts. But then it will turn to mud... Oh and this is kindof off-topic, but how many kittens did your cat have, in your signature I can't count them.

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know I'm a Pregnant Cat & Kitten Buddy if you need any help, advice, etc. I'm not sure you can PM me - I know that I can't PM you...but get ahold of me if you need any more help with your kitty. It would be great if she could live in the garage for a while. My vet told me that they like to "disappear" when it's time to give birth, and then if they need help you can't be there for them.
Yeah if I have any questions, I'll definitly talk to you. I was thinking the same thing that she would decide to go somewhere to have her babies, and then the babies wouldn't survive since its so cold here.

Kalli has so much fun with my horse, its hillarious, they love each other. Really cute.
Today something must have scared her, because somehow she ended up on the ceiling rafters of my barn. I didn't take much notice to it, because I figured shes a cat she knows how to get down. My other cat would always climb on the ceiling pipes in the basement in my old house and get down fine. But then I came back 2 hours later to give Lea (my horse) some hay, and she was still up there and was meowing, and I figured out that she couldn't get down. So I climbed up the side of the barn, and figured out that I still coulddnt reach her, so I got a cardboard box and had her jump in that from where I was standing. It was quite a deal. I sure do hope she never goes up there again.

Oh and my camera broke or I would take some pictures of her. I have some from about 3 weeks ago though.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took more pictures of the beautiful snow around here will try to post later on. We still have a ton here.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

aww , glad everything is going ok .
any ideas on how far along she is yet ?
No i don't but she appears to be getting bigger, unless I am just seeing things, or maybe shes just getting fat.

I took more pictures of the beautiful snow around here will try to post later on. We still have a ton here.
You should

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be getting fat or she could be prego that is so hard to tell unless they have a big litter and ya can feel the babies. I have seen a cat so skinny have 2 kittens and never know she was prego.
It was sad they lived 3 days but passed on.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

hows everything this morning ? any news if you know shes preggo or not?
No no news yet, but I swear shes getting bigger. I don't notice it when I see her every day, because the change would be gradual. But then I come see her after a week and she looks bigger to me.

I'm at my dads again, god I hate it here, anyway I just emailed my mom asking her about Kalli. I told her to take some pics of her with her new camera phone, but i'm sure she has no idea how to do that. :rollseyes:

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I think she is.
Today I felt her and on one side of her there was a bulge but on the other side there wasn't. Maybe a kitten? Hmm. I think if she is pregnant that she only has one or two in there.
I am feeding her kitten food, and once a week she gets canned food, as a treat.
I also tried putting her in my garage thinking maybe she getting close, I would guess 6th or 7th week (my other cat is living in my attic[my sencond bedroom], my step-dad doesn't know and since he doesn't ever go up there, he won't like have an allergic reaction or anything. I would put Kalli up there, but Keisha doesn't really like other cats, and Kalli makes so much noise she would give herself away.) but she got really stressed out in there. Probabley since shes never been in there or in the house. And she was really nervous, so I let her out. And she ran to the barn and I went in there and she was perfectly happy again. Sitting on top of the hay bales. Resting and purring. She loves her barn.
I dont' want to stress her out or anything. But should I like try putting her in there again? So she wont' have to have her kittens in the barn, I dont' think she would get hurt or they would get hurt in there. But just to be on the safe side so she wouldn't go and h ide them or anything. Or should I just leave her in the barn? Where she's happy....

I finally found my camera today! Jeez it was under the couch. Anyway so now I can't find the cord. Go figure. Or I would have took some pics of her...

I am kindof updating this post every once in a while when something new happens. So...
Later all...

acr.lizzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear Keisha (or anyone else for that matter),

If you are still looking for barn cats, i would be glad to hook you up with some! I know of several youngsters, in fact, that need to be relocated from a bad neighborhood in Baltimore. Let me know if you are interested..

Lizzie
Alley Cat Rescue