Gas pumps and cell phones?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told that they link cell phone use while pumping gas may blow up the pumps? Has anyone else heard this?? I mean ya just never know..could really happen. I know last summer my mom was at a gas station and saw a guy putting gas in his boat and somehow it just caught on fire(he was on his phone) thank goodness he was ok, but it scared the heck outta my mom.

So what do you all think??

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
there are warnings on all pumps in my area to get off your cell due to this risk.... I just have to ask, what is so important that people need to be on the dang phone while pumping gas anyway

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Btw, the fire could very well have been started due to static electricity, and not his cell phone. Static electricity is a HUGE cause of fires and explosions at gas pumps, so it's very important to be aware of that while pumping gas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Btw, the fire could very well have been started due to static electricity, and not his cell phone. Static electricity is a HUGE cause of fires and explosions at gas pumps, so it's very important to be aware of that while pumping gas.
Yeah, I guess I never thought about that, thats kinda scary.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, here I'd be more worried about the person the next pump over who's smoking.

Seen that more than a few times.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are signs on all of our pumps that say not to use your cell phone while pumping.

There are also signs that remind you to touch your vehicle before you start to pump gas to discharge the static electricity.

The other day though, I was getting gas and saw a woman pumping gas, on her cell phone, while she smoked.....and the best part? She was PREGNANT!!

Moron!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

there are warnings on all pumps in my area to get off your cell due to this risk.... I just have to ask, what is so important that people need to be on the dang phone while pumping gas anyway
I totally agree with you on this, what the heck is so important to be on the cell while pumping gas, some people are ridiculous.