TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Went to 2 body shops....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Went to 2 body shops....

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
And both of them told me there was no need for me to get estimates (though they still wrote me one). Apparently now a days the insurance companies send someone out to evaluate the damage. Needless to say the 2 estimates I got were between 2700.00 - 3100.00 dollars worth of damage. And the bad news is from what I here there are no approved body shops for that insurance for this town. Meaning I have to drive to another town to get this fixed. Good news for me my insurance said because the officer at the scene (and in the report) said I was not at fault and had control of the roadway when hit that I do not have to pay any deductible. Here in about 10 mins I will call her insurance and get the ball rolling to get my car fixed.
post #2 of 21
good luck! if it was the other person's fault they should pay for you to have a rental while your car gets fixed I would demand one at least
post #3 of 21
I was recently hit ... and learned about claims adjuster... You want to make sure you use the other partys preferred shop because they will be exact on the amount quoted
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Well I just called their insurance they want me to take them a copy of the report and 2 estimates on repair. And they will take pictures. If I had known this earlier I would have done this this morning they are right across the street from the police department. This is silly and frivously I am sure but will they pay my gas for running around bringing them my paperwork?
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Well I just called their insurance they want me to take them a copy of the report and 2 estimates on repair. And they will take pictures. If I had known this earlier I would have done this this morning they are right across the street from the police department. This is silly and frivously I am sure but will they pay my gas for running around bringing them my paperwork?
before I took them the stuff I would ask, I would also say that I didn't really want to be driving around a damamged vehicle... do you have access to a fax?
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
I do but they did say they want to/have to take pictures of the damage.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I do but they did say they want to/have to take pictures of the damage.
I'd say this is where the car is located.... insurance people are about the biggest boneheads- no offense to any insurance people in attendance

as much crap as I've heard about my insurance, Proggressive, they have always been EXCELLENT at handling my accidents, and even after I've had 3 or 4 accidents on them they still insure me!
post #8 of 21
I've been through this whole thing several times, and here's what I recommend.

1. Don't go anywhere or give them anything if your car is damaged enough to not pass a typical state inspection. This includes so much as a light out, or a cracked winshield. If they try to make you do otherwise, call your insurance company (if you have full coverage) and have them deal with the other party's insurance. That's what you pay them for.

2. Don't waste your time getting estimates. They should have a claims adjuster go to where your car needs to be repaired or your house and their claims adjuster should deal directly with the repair shop.

3. If they say you have to go to one of their "approved" shops, have them tow the car there after you look them up on BBB.org. If the company has a bad record for repairs go to your insurance company and make them negotiate another plan.

4. If you are not at fault, look at it this way, and stay firm. Insurance companies take advantage of "nice guys" if you don't set the bounderies straight from the beginning. This is not to say that you shouldn't be polite, just hold your ground on these important facts.
  • Before the accident you had a car in good condition.
  • Their insured changed your car's condition.
  • At the end of your repairs, your car needs to be back to it's condition before the accident.
  • You refuse to drive a car that isn't street safe until it is repaired, and the insurance company must not force you to do so, and must take the expense of moving the car if it not street safe.
  • You need a working vehicle while your car is in repairs, comparable in size to what you had before the accident. For example, don't let them give you a Geo Metro if you were driving an Audi.

Hope this helps. I'm wishing you luck. I've been through this several times, and of course the first time I had to learn all this the hard way.
post #9 of 21
Great news that your not at fault
post #10 of 21
I was in accident in October and the other person who BTW was at fault had to pay for a week rental cause it took that long to fix.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Back and this was much easier than I thought. Yes I did need 2 estimates but I got those this morning. I will have a check in 7-10 business made out to one of the body shops in town (they are good I like them). They will give me a rental if I so choose. Just called them they day it goes in and they will take care of that.

I don't think we have state inspections here. If so I have not taken any of my cars in 3 yrs of being here.
post #12 of 21
Excellent! So glad it's working out. Good luck with those repairs.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo View Post
4. If you are not at fault, look at it this way, and stay firm. Insurance companies take advantage of "nice guys" if you don't set the bounderies straight from the beginning. This is not to say that you shouldn't be polite, just hold your ground on these important facts.
  • You need a working vehicle while your car is in repairs, comparable in size to what you had before the accident. For example, don't let them give you a Geo Metro if you were driving an Audi.
Whoa Nelly, Insurance companies take advantage of nice guys?? I am a claims expert for State Farm, and noone fights harder for their clients than I do.

About the rental car, it can depend on what coverage she has. She may not be entitled to a larger car, we have no idea what coverage she has on her policy, and depending on the companies policy on that, she may not be entitled to a bigger than sub-compact car. GENERALLY, in a not at fault situation, the client is entitled to a like size rental vehicle, but her company could have different guidelines than we can know about.
post #14 of 21
Good glad it is being taken care of.
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
I am not sure what her policy is but the lady seemed nice and very straight forward. She took the reports I brought with me and filled out a claim report. Took several pictures of the car and took the milage. Told me that I would have the check in 7-10 days and if I wanted or needed a rental I could get one and they would take care of getting me one. I don't needed a bigger car. Small is fine as long as it is automatic and not a stick.

I can tell you that they had Ga Farm Bureau and they seemed nice enough.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Whoa Nelly, Insurance companies take advantage of nice guys?? I am a claims expert for State Farm, and noone fights harder for their clients than I do.

About the rental car, it can depend on what coverage she has. She may not be entitled to a larger car, we have no idea what coverage she has on her policy, and depending on the companies policy on that, she may not be entitled to a bigger than sub-compact car. GENERALLY, in a not at fault situation, the client is entitled to a like size rental vehicle, but her company could have different guidelines than we can know about.
Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend. I've had great experiences with State Farm, Progressive, and Geico, but with others I've really found it to be true that once you try to accomodate them they start to take advantage of your kindness.

I had a claims adjuster who after I told him where I wanted my car repaired asked me really nicely if I could have my car looked at nearer to his home he could be home in time when his kids were dropped of at school. He even promised that they would tow it my body shop after he looked it over. I couldn't possibly refuse and so I had it towed to "his" designated place. I got a call from a body shop saying they were ready to work on my car and I needed to authorize it. It turns out his designated place was one of their body shops, and that once they paid for towing they refused to pay for it again to my shop. So I had to pay for towing to my shop just to get it repaired by the people who I trusted.

If the other person's insurance company is responsible for the rental it should be a same size car. That's what I was told by my own insurance company as well as the car rental place (go figure ). But maybe that's just how it was then.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo View Post
Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend. I've had great experiences with State Farm, Progressive, and Geico, but with others I've really found it to be true that once you try to accomodate them they start to take advantage of your kindness.

If the other person's insurance company is responsible for the rental it should be a same size car. That's what I was told by my own insurance company as well as the car rental place (go figure ). But maybe that's just how it was then.
No worries, I am not offended, I just can't keep my mouth shut when people bash insurance companies because I know I work my butt off to keep clients well cared for and happy. I realize all insurance people aren't as conscientous as I am

Here in Ontario, it is no fault insurance, so when an accident occurs, the other insurance company has nothing to do with the repairs or the rental. It is very different here in that respect, so I can't comment on that really. All I know is that here if it isn't your fault, you get a same size rental..but if it IS your fault, you get whatever size car you paid for on your loss of use coverage.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
No worries, I am not offended, I just can't keep my mouth shut when people bash insurance companies because I know I work my butt off to keep clients well cared for and happy. I realize all insurance people aren't as conscientous as I am
I have said this before, but it bears repeating. IMO, State Farm is the exception to the rule. I was treated like gold by State Farm and their perferred vendor when my car was hit. I wasn't even insured by State Farm. It was a liability claim.

My job requires that I work with several insurance companies on the property claims side. State Farm expects A LOT from us. I have never known them to treat an insured unfairly. They pay in a timely manner. The opposite is true for a LOT of other companies.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I have said this before, but it bears repeating. IMO, State Farm is the exception to the rule. I was treated like gold by State Farm and their perferred vendor when my car was hit. I wasn't even insured by State Farm. It was a liability claim.

My job requires that I work with several insurance companies on the property claims side. State Farm expects A LOT from us. I have never known them to treat an insured unfairly. They pay in a timely manner. The opposite is true for a LOT of other companies.
Awww, that makes me feel like a proud momma
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Well I just called their insurance they want me to take them a copy of the report and 2 estimates on repair. And they will take pictures. If I had known this earlier I would have done this this morning they are right across the street from the police department. This is silly and frivously I am sure but will they pay my gas for running around bringing them my paperwork?
Thats odd that the Body Shop didn't send it to the insurance company. Thats what we did anyways at the shop I worked at.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Whoa Nelly, Insurance companies take advantage of nice guys?? I am a claims expert for State Farm, and noone fights harder for their clients than I do.

About the rental car, it can depend on what coverage she has. She may not be entitled to a larger car, we have no idea what coverage she has on her policy, and depending on the companies policy on that, she may not be entitled to a bigger than sub-compact car. GENERALLY, in a not at fault situation, the client is entitled to a like size rental vehicle, but her company could have different guidelines than we can know about.
I definately agree with you Natalie. Insurance companies are not like that. I worked with them everyday for 3 years... they are not bad people.

As for the rental, if she doesn't have any rental coverage on her policy- they don't have to give her a big car. They don't have to give her anything unless she pays for it, or they give her one for free. I wouldn't be picky about what they give you for free, they are NOT obligated to give you a bigger car. Most of the time its a compact car that are cheaper to rent out.

Best of luck to you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Went to 2 body shops....