cat with asthma need advice

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my 5 yr old boy cat sheldon is apparently having little asthma attacks

he was diagnosed with allergies and asthma
but the asthma diagnosis was 'presumptive'- based on symptoms, not diagnostic testing

he gets an antihistamine for his allergies (in the spring)

i'll call the vet we've been using in the morning to see if i should be giving him the antihistamine now

any ideas for what i should do if he has another attack?

he seems to be breathing ok between these episodes.

he did wretch at the end of the last one, and then he had hiccups

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

my 5 yr old boy cat sheldon is apparently having little asthma attacks

he was diagnosed with allergies and asthma
but the asthma diagnosis was 'presumptive'- based on symptoms, not diagnostic testing

he gets an antihistamine for his allergies (in the spring)

i'll call the vet we've been using in the morning to see if i should be giving him the antihistamine now

any ideas for what i should do if he has another attack?

he seems to be breathing ok between these episodes.

he did wretch at the end of the last one, and then he had hiccups
Please know that research has associated that the dust from various types of litter contributes to asthma attacks in cats and even in humans. It is recommended first of all that you do not use clay litter. This is a good starting point. I mention this because you do not mention what type of litter you are using and that is always the first thing asked when dealing with asthma in cats.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We give Molly the antihistamines during the winter season. I just found them online for dirt cheap. The vet said 4mg cut in half, given twice a day. How often do you give the pill? Changing litter helps. I just switched to crystals. If you do a search there are 2 threads in the last month with suggestions. I didn't go with the pine b/c I am allergic to the smell. LoL

They prefer walking on the clay more but the crystals are not dusty. You don't have the change the litter as often either. I try to open the windows even if it is bitter out. I think the dry, stale air triggers some attacks.

Good Luck.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several of us here with asthmatic cats - my Wellington is. If you do a search you will find a number of threads with suggestions and treatments. Two obvious things to do are to keep the dust down as much as possible and to get crystal litter. Many vets prescribe prednisone, which is a steroid, for asthma. It is important to find the smallest dose that will control the attacks in your cat, as there can be long term side effects. Good luck.