Raw feeders...how much?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I know I'm being paranoid. Damita has lost more weight. She weighed 8 lbs even last vet visit about 3 weeks ago...on Fri she weighed 7 lbs 8 oz. I've been feeding her all she wants to eat, 3 or 4 meals a day. I am not feeding her 100% raw as she won't eat it yet.

I asked sharky & added some oatmeal at her suggestion. The "recipe" I mixed in the blender for supper last night & all day today was:
(2-3) spoonfuls Pro Pac Beef canned food
(1) 3 oz raw medallion-NVP Venison medallions(3 oz raw a day if feeding reccomendation)
some water
(3) TBSP Oatmeal(cooked)
a glob of hairball meds
some Evanger's Duck canned food(I just glopped in some, not very scientific)

I made several batches of that. Enough to get me through tonight. Well, she ate as much, if not more, than she had been. We're talking like 10-12 oz...possibly more. I'd just like some other opinions here. I mean, if she's loosing weight & eating so much, that's not a good thing, is it? I worry too much about Damita.
Just can't help it.

Vet says she should be about 9 lbs. So, if anything, we want her to gain weight. How long on feeding the oatmeal in with her mixture before I notice a difference in the amount she eats? Could it just be she's eating to be eating? It is possible this is a stress reaction(like her incessant bathing). I never had any problems with her over eating when she was on dry food, but once I switched her to canned, she slowly started eating more & more....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't one medallion just 1 ounce? Maybe I misunderstood

But 10-12 oz *should* be enough to sustain her and then some. I would think she would gain weight with that amount. How's the vomiting now?

I'm not familiar with the oatmeal issue.

Yes, I could see a cat eating just to eat, as a stress reaction. Although it usually ruins their appetite...but every cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, you win!
I am feeding her 3 medallions a day, though. I had thought they were 3 oz each!
That makes me feel better, but she's still eating a lot more than she should...

3 medallions(totaling 3 oz
) + 5-6 oz wet + oatmeal...

I do cheat & give her some canned food with a bite of real raw meat hiding in the middle several times a day...I want to ger her really accustomed to eating actualy raw meat at the same time as the medallions...

The only "vomiting" going on now is from hairballs...I am giving her more meds. The stools are formed, not very stinky, & finally not bloody!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you useing a teaspoon or tablespoon to measure the wet ??

okay all my recipes are in like 1/2 cup increments

stay with your current recipe and can she get weighed at home???

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK, you win!
I am feeding her 3 medallions a day, though. I had thought they were 3 oz each!
That makes me feel better, but she's still eating a lot more than she should...
I'll tell you what I tell my hubby...I didn't want to win

But I know you were worried about the extreme amount of food...so I had to say something.

I can't really weigh in on the total amount...but the NVP site says if feeding raw only, 1.5%-2% of body weight. So, 2% of 8lbs would be 2.56 medallions ...so yeah it would seem like she's eating a lot. If she's vomiting less now, maybe she's just trying to catch up from all of that misery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Are you useing a teaspoon or tablespoon to measure the wet ??

okay all my recipes are in like 1/2 cup increments

stay with your current recipe and can she get weighed at home???
I don't have a scale at home that is accurate. I will have to look at prices of digital people scales to see if I can afford one.

To measure the wet, I am using a people spoon. Basically, I have just been globbing the wet food in.

Originally Posted by beandip

I'll tell you what I tell my hubby...I didn't want to win

But I know you were worried about the extreme amount of food...so I had to say something.

I can't really weigh in on the total amount...but the NVP site says if feeding raw only, 1.5%-2% of body weight. So, 2% of 8lbs would be 2.56 medallions ...so yeah it would seem like she's eating a lot. If she's vomiting less now, maybe she's just trying to catch up from all of that misery.
I'm glad you said something, I was really freaking out because she was eating so darn much!! Now I want to
!

I changed my recipe a little...added more canned food, less oatmeal. I also added Lysine to the mix this am, just because we seem to have a runny eye flare up going around(herpes).

When I make her food for tomorrow, I will get exact amounts of everything. I will also measure out exactly how much she eats. Then I have some more precise numbers to work with.