Fat Cats?!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I wanted to ask something (a bit cute
) and appreciate if you tell me what you think

Is that true that each and everyone of you wanna have a fat cat because the more your cat is fat the more you have to hug & cuddle?

I'm not encouraging people to let their cat eat all the times because that's dangerous for him
but I'm trying to figure out, what's your imagination tells you? For instance, if you had a chance to get a new cat and cute one of course, would you like him to be a fat one or normal one?

Arie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bigger cat (almost 20lbs) and a smaller, well, not smaller but tiny one (12lbs) and their size doesn't matter to me. Harley (bigger one) doesn't cuddle anyways, so that doesn't matter.

If I were to go pick out a cat- their weight wouldn't matter, I'd be going by personality anyways

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like fatter cats that like to cuddle..
I am small and get crushed!

We have a 20lb blue male cat at the rescue, and he loves to sit on you and put his arms around your neck and give you hugs, but he's so heavy it's hard to breathe.

Not to easy holding a big cat like that while you are trying to mop.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to have animals pick me... not the other way around. I own 7 cats (not counting my rescue currently residing at my house) and my largest of them all is my hyperthryroid girl. She weighs 10 pounds. I dont pick animals based on their size, but on their personality and I only take in rescues or special needs animals. The rescue I have right now is 14lbs. Once he gets better, he's going on a diet.

I don't know about cats, but I do know they did a study about obesity in dogs. Those that where obese lived 2 years LESS then those that weren't. I would rather snuggle with my kitty, knowing that I will have longer to be with them, then snuggle with a plump kitty who will live a shorter life....

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I do
chubby kitties I also dont think its good for their health but what can I say I am owned by a fat cat named Bella who came to me as scrawny as ever and well withing 2 weeks she had already put on 2-3lbs
what can I say who knows how long she went with out eating
and so I was always used to a little chubby but not too much until I met little scrwany Blue who is just built small and thin and well its different and I do like it, so much easier to pick up and so much lighter ecspecially cuddle time, although when sleeping I do worry to knock someone off of me, bella wont budge but blue is so light
i also worried that with stormie and well she is about 6lbs now and that was at 6 months so she has probly gained a lb since last month but she is just going to be a big cat, fat idk if thats possible for her, all she does is eat and doesnt seem to gain a single lb same as blue (they dont have nothing wrong with them no worms or naything so dont worry) but they eat the most in this house
and well we actually are currently fattening willie up hes supposed to be a good 15-20 lbs with his breed and well he was starving when he came back so we have gained a good amount of weight just not enough for me
But what can I say fat kitties are cute as long as they arent too fat, or too skinny for skinny kitties! Either u gotta slim them down or fatten them up
So everyones weight is always on watch here, although Bella just seems to keep her weight up
and I am doing everything to bring it down, but what can u do!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Chuckie was a fat cat and was fun to cuddle, he dropped alot of weight when we moved and got into Summer but is still cuddly. And he is a greedy guts which i try to control.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like big cats that are just big - but a healthy weight. That could easily be 20+ lbs on a big frame. I think that's cool...but fat, no thanks.

My biggest cat is *only* 13.5lbs! Just a little heavier than Babyharleys "tiny" boy.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two big cats, not fat, just big, the other 4 are of average size and athletic in build.
At night, when I am trying to sleep, I become part of the Kitty 500 raceway, they already feel like 40 tons as they run up and down my body.

No fat cats please

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them to be a solid healthy weight, that said I have two fat cats.

Max is a very active outdoor cat but he looks like a pudgy sausage, he has to be stealing food somewhere else...
Sho's a big boy, 15-16lbs and a big cat, his chest is very wide too. When he lays in my lap one or both of my legs usually fall asleep from him cutting off the circulation. He plays with Tomas and eats less than him, but he's still rather fat.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally feel that cats have their own metabolisms, just like humans. One of my cats is "of the ideal weight" for his size at 10lbs. Fred on the other hand is about 3lbs overweight at 15lbs.
I'm happy with them just the way they are. Neither of them are food pigs, and both are reasonbly active for indoor cats (midnight crazies, play fighting, etc.)
However, the vet recently told me that Fred has to go on a diet as he is a few years away from reaching the obese side of things!!!! The vet warned me of some signs. Firstly, he won't be able to jump as much. I have noticed Fred hasn't been jumping onto high places as much as usual this year. Secondly, he has dandruff on his back which is partially caused by sleeping on the hot air vent, but perhaps also because he can't lick his back as easily. In 4 or 5 years, if he doesn't slim down, the vet said he's more likely to get illnesses such as diabietes due to excess weight.
This made me realize the serious of the situation and that I should start to worry about this now rather than later.
I feel bad, as he gained 1lb this summer (like us gaining 15-20lbs) when I had to travel for work for 3 month overseas. He gets depressed when I'm not home, regardless of how many caregivers I enlist and employ! I think he just sleeps and eats.
I know when I work for long hours he suffers, but I need to put food in the bowls and pay for the roof over our head! Hard to explain to cats! Nermal doesn't seem to suffer nearly as much.
As an aside, I stayed at my boyfriends for ONE night last night and I came home to a pile of Fred turds on the sofa today.
In a nutshell, just like humans, it's important to keep our critters at a healthy weight so they can live with us for as long as possible in comfort.

Fred is now having a mix of his old regular food with r/d diet science diet, in measured amounts. I just hope Nermal doesn't wither away into a toothpick shape as a result.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha. I think by my s/n you can see where I'm coming from.

Harriet is morbidly obese. BUT I didn't do it. I adopted her like this. She has been steadily losing weight since coming to live with me and she will continue to. I'm sad that I won't have as long with her b/c she was SO fat for so long, but hopefully the weight she loses will help extend her life some.

I'm SO fussy about my dogs weight and I'm fussy about the cat's- it just happens that she's hugenormous.

Hopefully she'll get down to a reasonalbe size and be able to run and jump again.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Haha. I think by my s/n you can see where I'm coming from.

Harriet is morbidly obese. BUT I didn't do it. I adopted her like this. She has been steadily losing weight since coming to live with me and she will continue to. I'm sad that I won't have as long with her b/c she was SO fat for so long, but hopefully the weight she loses will help extend her life some.

I'm SO fussy about my dogs weight and I'm fussy about the cat's- it just happens that she's hugenormous.

Hopefully she'll get down to a reasonalbe size and be able to run and jump again.
Harriet looks like a real sweetie. She's lucky that you're giving her such a healthy diet and that she's getting healthier!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my cats to be a decent weight, but any overweight cats that come here are immediately put on a diet - I know the health risks to being overweight, and I dont want it to happen - with the last 2 overweight ones they were both oldies, and while they had similar health risks, I can't help it if they get certain issues due to being old, but I could help them developing them due to weight. I wouldn't pick a cat due to its size though - although in Molly's case, I am glad she is small, as she likes to lie on my throat!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's don't have to be fat to be cuddly

Bella is just right at 9 lbs and she's pretty darn snuggly and soft.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I must admit, it they are cuddly cats...bigger ones to keep ya warm!!!!

I don't know how this happened, but our newest cat...we got her and she is well...fat...16 1/2 lbs and a lg frame...I know cats that are lg framed that it goes well on but she is so squishy and huge!!!! She looks tiny in her pics though she's the one with a little speck of white on her chest in the back. I don't particularly go for one or the other but i knowticed I seemed to either be attracted to either really big ones or really small ones. I've got 2 big ones, 2 little cats, and one medium cat. But if they call or should I say meow to me then they do & it's