Possible Obstruction

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So tonight I got a phone call from my mom. One of our cats has been vomiting for 2 day and hasn't been eatting. (I consider him my cat as well, because we got him when I was 5 years old.) Thank god I work at a vets (these kinds of things ALWAYS seem to happen on the weekends) So I had my mom meet me down at the clinic. We took some x rays and emailed them to one of the vets I work with. (there was only me, my mother, and one other employee there) There are 2 areas that look suspicious. He might have a blockage. He told me to withhold food and water for the night. We gave him some sub-q fluids and an antibiotic injection. We are going to take another x ray in the morning and see if the areas have moved. If they haven't, then he might have to have surgery. I'm really nervous because he's 16 years old. He was the first cat I ever had. I am not prepared to lose him....

I NEED SOME SERIOUS PRAYERS AND GOOD VIBES. God, I hope it passes and he doesn't have to have surgery.
I'm so scared.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

So tonight I got a phone call from my mom. One of our cats has been vomiting for 2 day and hasn't been eatting. (I consider him my cat as well, because we got him when I was 5 years old.) Thank god I work at a vets (these kinds of things ALWAYS seem to happen on the weekends) So I had my mom meet me down at the clinic. We took some x rays and emailed them to one of the vets I work with. (there was only me, my mother, and one other employee there) There are 2 areas that look suspicious. He might have a blockage. He told me to withhold food and water for the night. We gave him some sub-q fluids and an antibiotic injection. We are going to take another x ray in the morning and see if the areas have moved. If they haven't, then he might have to have surgery. I'm really nervous because he's 16 years old. He was the first cat I ever had. I am not prepared to lose him....

I NEED SOME SERIOUS PRAYERS AND GOOD VIBES. God, I hope it passes and he doesn't have to have surgery.
I'm so scared.
Sending lots of hugs and prayers from Mississippi fro you and your cat, I hope he gets better and don't hafta have surgery.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of hugs and kisses for you and your baby
!! We are keeping our fingers crossed for you!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending special prayers and hugs for you and for your cat today. I hope you hear some good news.

Please keep us updated on the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GREAT NEWS! no obstruction!!!! He doesn't need surgery.... YES!

But I need more prayers for another animal that's at my clinic. Its a beautiful Pit bull puppy who DOES have an obstruction. The owners do not have the money for surgery and are considering surrendering him to the SPCA. The SPCA in my area WILL put him down. They do not have the funds to do the surgery. We are going to talk with the office manger tommorrow about having the dog surrendered to the clinic and doing the surgery. It doesn't look good though... He is only 3-4 months old. He needs a LOT of prayers... I would foot the bill for it myself but my recent rescue (Neko) has drained all my funds...
Please hope for the best for this little puppy....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so glad about your kitty... and so sorry about that puppy. Surely they can't just let the puppy continue to suffer! Care first, payment later!

I wish I were a vet. I'd never make a profit and I'd never sleep, but no animal would ever suffer for lack of money.

I'm sending compassion vibes to your decision-makers. Surely if they surrender him to you, someone among your clients will eventually adopt him for a fee that will cover the cost of the surgery.

And I'm sending powerful healing light to the puppy... may his obstruction simply go away...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GREAT NEWS! no obstruction!!!! He doesn't need surgery.... YES!

But I need more prayers for another animal that's at my clinic. Its a beautiful Pit bull puppy who DOES have an obstruction. The owners do not have the money for surgery and are considering surrendering him to the SPCA. The SPCA in my area WILL put him down. They do not have the funds to do the surgery. We are going to talk with the office manger tommorrow about having the dog surrendered to the clinic and doing the surgery. It doesn't look good though... He is only 3-4 months old. He needs a LOT of prayers... I would foot the bill for it myself but my recent rescue (Neko) has drained all my funds...
Please hope for the best for this little puppy....
Sending prayers and hugs for the puppy,
I hope everything turns out ok for him, and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that your cat didn't have a obstruction.

Please let us know about the puppy too.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The obstruction appears to have passed. The puppy went home with his family!

It turns out that the owners had money, but they just didn't want to spend it on the puppy. They came in to pick the puppy up and where upset with our office manager for telling them that they had to pay for what had been done. They then said "fine, we'll just put it on our credit card" The WHOLE time they had been able to pay. They simply didn't want to spend the money on the puppy...
WHY GET A DOG IF YOU DONT PLAN ON FIXING WHAT MAY GO WRONG?
Sometimes I dont understand people.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The obstruction appears to have passed. The puppy went home with his family!

It turns out that the owners had money, but they just didn't want to spend it on the puppy. They came in to pick the puppy up and where upset with our office manager for telling them that they had to pay for what had been done. They then said "fine, we'll just put it on our credit card" The WHOLE time they had been able to pay. They simply didn't want to spend the money on the puppy...
WHY GET A DOG IF YOU DONT PLAN ON FIXING WHAT MAY GO WRONG?
Sometimes I dont understand people.
I am so glad that the puppy was able to go home, I kinda wish he had gone home with someone other than the owners though, it doesn't sound like they are gonna wanna take care of him if something else happens.

But I am glad that the puppy got well.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear your kitty won't need surgery.

It's also good that the puppy's obstruction cleared. I don't understand people who are unwilling to do what is necessary to care for their animals. Caring for a pet is a commitment not only when he animal is healthy but when he/she is sick. As I've said before, some people just have misplaced priorities.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
really really bad news... Last night Howard was straining to have a bowel movement. We took him in an took xrays. It looked like another possible obstruction. We decided to do a barium series on him today. It showed he had a mass in his intestines... He had a seizure last week so the diagnosis was cancer that had spread to his brain... Sadly, tonight Howard went to the rainbow bridge
We could have removed the cancer in his intestines but then he would have had to suffer through a surgery that he might not have even made it through because of his CRF.
Howard was my first cat ever... I thought he would live forever... He's the reason for all of the animals I have. If my father hadn't brought him home, I probally wouldn't have such a great love for animals. He was this tiny little 3 week old ball of fur when he came into my life... He was the kindest, gentlest cat you ever did want to meet... I miss him so much....
I've never lost a cat before... This is a whole new kinda pain for me. I just can't stop crying. I just want him back so bad.
I really hope he's in a better place.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Howard. He must have been a very special kitty. You are right, though, if he was very ill he is in a better place now with all the other kitties at the Rainbow Bridge. Hugs to you.