Dog Store Sign Angers Many...

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I think I am torn. On one hand, it is kind of offensive. I can understand why people would be upset. On the other, it is VERY creative and I applaud her for being so bold and brave by doing this. It is definately a hard decision on my part.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also torn. However, I think it might be more on the offensive side and due to the visibility of the sign, I do not think it is very appropriate for younger children to see that displayed the way it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. What I found even more disturbing than the sign itself, was the part in the article about the parent who would have to explain to a 5 year old about it. A 5 year old? Man, I guess its been a long time since I've had kids that age....well, heck I know it has...I guess 5 year olds just aren't what they used to be y'all. That's the truly sad part...our kids' innocense is gone at such a young age...

Hilda >^..^<

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say let it go. I mean, it is the term for a female dog, people. If you don't like it boycott the store. If your kids have questions, explain to them the difference between using a word in it's correct context versus a slang term. Like correctly using the word retarded meaning slowed versus using it as a put down or to describe someone who has developmental delays. As in "this morning's traffic retarded the funeral procession's progress".

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the sign itself is really pretty amusing and clever. The pun is really good. I'm not offended by the product names either, but that's me and I honestly don't see that the majority of people are going to be accepting of the product names. I see their theme, and it's really very good.. but, it does tend to point to women, so it does make it gender derogatory... now if they added some things like "Metrosexual mouthwash" and targetted a high maintanence man... and could pull some names out that were equally directed at men, I think they'll have less problems.

I really do applaud the store name itself, though... I started laughing the minute I read the sign. It's just too clever.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that this is in my childhood stomping grounds, I say it's appropriate.
It fits the (very yuppie) neighborhood well, and if parents cannot convey to their children that bitch is the appropriate term for a female dog, then they've got bigger problems than a store sign.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I say let it go. I mean, it is the term for a female dog, people.
Exactly. If a little kid saw that "bad word" in an encyclopedia, I doubt the parents would get their panties in a knot like some would over the sign. I don't see why people are making a big deal over this. It's just a word.

RE: "It's so blatant and so in your face."

If it's 'in your face', don't look at it.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not explain it to the 5 year old like it is? "Bitch" means female dog, plain and simple. If you look it up in Webster's there it is. Any further meaning of the word is vernacular and obviously not intended given the context it's used in.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I don't think a 5 year old can even read that word, so it wouldn't even mean ANYTHING to a 5 year old. I think you would have to be 9 or 10 before you could read it, and a child of that age, could easily understand that the word means "female" dog.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's very clever.

cat_lover_330

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Well I think I am torn. On one hand, it is kind of offensive. I can understand why people would be upset. On the other, it is VERY creative and I applaud her for being so bold and brave by doing this. It is definately a hard decision on my part.
I agree. Although, since "Bitch" does mean female dog, I think that it would be fine.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

First of all, I don't think a 5 year old can even read that word, so it wouldn't even mean ANYTHING to a 5 year old. I think you would have to be 9 or 10 before you could read it, and a child of that age, could easily understand that the word means "female" dog.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's very clever.
I agree. Whats so wrong with it? It means female dog, plain and simple. If people have a problem with it, then don't look at it. And what 5 year old is going to ask about that inparticular sign and ask about it anyways? Seriously! Some people have way too much time on their hands to worry about something like this.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Why not explain it to the 5 year old like it is? "Bitch" means female dog, plain and simple. If you look it up in Webster's there it is. Any further meaning of the word is vernacular and obviously not intended given the context it's used in.
Excatly, it is what it is.

I mean, geeze Louise, there are worse things in life to get upset about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No 5 year old, in my eyes that is, has any business knowing that the word bitch means anything other than a female dog...and surely no parent of a 5 year old should tell him it means anything than a female dog.

Geeze, I remember the first time I ever heard bitch used for anything other than a dog. Gosh I remember it almost exactly. Songstress Helen Reddy's husband referred to her as 'a bitch in heat' cuz he thought she was having an affair with someone else. When I read that...I had to do a double take cuz I'd never heard anything like that used to describe a woman before...and mind you...I was not 5 years old...I'm sure I was either in my late teens or a little older.

The times, they are a'changing. Heck...the times have changed...and in many cases, not for the better.

Hilda >^..^<

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the store is meant for [female] dogs and not female humans, I don't see anything wrong with the term.

Besides I'd rather see kids use the term in its proper fashion rather than what daddy calls mommy on occassion.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I say let it go. I mean, it is the term for a female dog, people. If you don't like it boycott the store. If your kids have questions, explain to them the difference between using a word in it's correct context versus a slang term. Like correctly using the word retarded meaning slowed versus using it as a put down or to describe someone who has developmental delays. As in "this morning's traffic retarded the funeral procession's progress".
That is my thought....

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I see a niche market there for female humans too, but.. that's another subject, lol. Really high maintanence women often have that attitude and might totally be about that shop..

But in any case, I think it's cute.. I think I'd also toss a few more names in the product lines though... Queen's cuticle creme..