Vacuum cleaner suggestions

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday the vacuum quit on me. Basically it was making a weird noise and not sucking well (despite putting on a brand new bag).

Sooooooooo......can anyone recommend a good vacuum? We have hardwood floors, so the "all floors" option would be nice. Also particularly one that either is bagless or takes Eureka AA bags (I just bought a new package of bags
)

Oh yea, and $200/$250 is the spending limit. As much as I would like a Dyson, its just not in the budget right now.

Thanks!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say a Dyson

Why dont you check on Ebay and see if you can get a Dyson at the price you are looking to spend. It is totally worth it!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I was going to say a Dyson

Why dont you check on Ebay and see if you can get a Dyson at the price you are looking to spend. It is totally worth it!!
That is too funny..I knew you would be along to root for the DYSON

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has been yelling that she wants a Dyson, but honestly.. about three years ago, we needed one because our "good" vacuum died. So, I saw a sale at Target, and went and got a "cheepie". I have had *no* problems with that vacuum, and it works awesomely. I highly recommend it. It grabs all the debris that the tiny terrors leave about, gets their hair up..and I will double check but am pretty sure that it has all the floors settings.

It's a Bissell powerforce. I honestly can't remember if it was $70 and that was a savings of $40 or if I paid $40 and it was originally $70. Anyway.. we've had absolutely no problems with it and it's got to be one of the best vacuums I've had. I've had a few with a little more suction, but the second they get clogged, they never seem to be the same again even after you completely clear it and/or have it serviced. This one has never clogged, never broken a belt..

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

That is too funny..I knew you would be along to root for the DYSON
Helen would be, too if she were here!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I want one
Does that count ? I have 4 vacuums now I could have had a Dyson I'm sure ... Is there anything as good just seems like a lot of $$$ to have to still push it around

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp, I don't know a thing about Dyson, but I can tell you that I would never have another bagless. I hope to get an Oreck next time around. Oreck does have some payment plans and a 30 day free trial where they will pay the postage both ways.

My bagless is a mess to empty, and I have to wash out the filters periodically, and the dust flies, and it is just yuck.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I do part time is cleaning for a few folks and I had a lady who had a Oreck and I didnt like it at all it doesn't have edge cleaning I think they are way to high. There light in weight thats all

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can actually get a really nice Eureka bagless 12amp with attachments for about $80

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

That's what I do part time is cleaning for a few folks and I had a lady who had a Oreck and I didnt like it at all it doesn't have edge cleaning I think they are way to high. There light in weight thats all
The next time that I'm in Bowling Green, I need to take a picture. There is a vacuum sales and service place there that takes trade-in's. And they had at least 30 traded-in Oreck's sitting on the sidewalk in front of the place. That pretty much told me that I didn't want one

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you one not to get. I dont know if this one is available there but it sucks. You have to take it apart to make it go from the regular vacuum to using the hose. It also doesn't pick anything up very well.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dyson's are the BEST for animal hair. I have some dumb dirt devil thing that makes me go over and over and over the carpets to get all the animal hair up. I barrowed my mothers dyson to test it out... IT WAS AWESOME! There is a website... I don't know what it is... but My mother got a rebuilt dyson that came with a warrenty and EVERYTHING for about 280. (that was also with an attachment package added on) Try checking out rebuilt ones or like someone mentioned earlier, ebay, or amazon....
Just an idea...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea I've heard DD are not the best.

We use an Oreck at work and its horrible, IMO. Its light yes, makes a lot of noise, yes, sucks? no.

Anyhoo, I'll check around and see if anyone is having a decent sale on Dyson. I did check out amazon's customer ratings and people rated the Bissel 3990 better than the Dyson...which surprised me.

Well we're going on Tuesday since that's the first night I'll have off this week.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local vacuum dude where we get our bags for our Kirby from told us that the Panasonic models are wonderful, and he recommends them over most...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kenmore pro??? it works well not bagless but when we threw out the oreck( I hated it ) this was the best rated in Consumer reports evan over elextrolux and kirby

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I looked at that Bissell 3990 good price at Amazon.com but that sucker weighs 24 pounds Thats a fourth of me I would be afraid its to heavy for me. Plus I have a 2 story home

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an article in the paper this week that Consumer Report magazine did a vacuum testing specifically on pet hair (maine coon, I think it was
). The best weren't the most expensive by a long shot. If you don't have or know someone who has a subscription, the library usually carries it. Or you can pm me, and I can see if I remember my log in stuff
!

I have an 8 year old, bottom of the line Oreck, and I really like it. It's the only vacuum I've had that will get up Butterbean's "angora" hair (and I love how lightweight it is
.). I just by the hypoallergenic dust bags for it.

Okay, I remembered my log in stuff and found the vacuum ratings, but I'll have to email it to you, I think it's too big to pm

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I can tell you one not to get. I dont know if this one is available there but it sucks. You have to take it apart to make it go from the regular vacuum to using the hose. It also doesn't pick anything up very well.
You have the same vacuum as me (only I think mine is an older model). I totally agree... I would say this vacuum sucks, only the problem is that it actually doesn't. I get almost nothing off my floor and have to empty the filter after every use or else it totally doesn't work. So, stay away from the Dirt Devils. On the plus side it's light and easy to store. On the minus it doesn't actually DO anything except scare the cats.

I too will be looking to invest in a new vacuum as soon as I can afford it. It's nice to hear people saying they don't have to be that expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Wow I looked at that Bissell 3990 good price at Amazon.com but that sucker weighs 24 pounds Thats a fourth of me I would be afraid its to heavy for me. Plus I have a 2 story home
:jawdrop: Wow! I didn't notice the weight. Well I have been wanting to work out my arms a little more

Originally Posted by catsallover

There was an article in the paper this week that Consumer Report magazine did a vacuum testing specifically on pet hair (maine coon, I think it was
). The best weren't the most expensive by a long shot. If you don't have or know someone who has a subscription, the library usually carries it. Or you can pm me, and I can see if I remember my log in stuff
!

I have an 8 year old, bottom of the line Oreck, and I really like it. It's the only vacuum I've had that will get up Butterbean's "angora" hair (and I love how lightweight it is
.). I just by the hypoallergenic dust bags for it.

Okay, I remembered my log in stuff and found the vacuum ratings, but I'll have to email it to you, I think it's too big to pm
Oooo! Rock on! I'll PM you my email! Thank you!!!