neutered male mating?

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, first post here. My cat is a fairly large maine coon (no papers but thats what the vet says he is) male, neutered and declawed. The declawing wasnt my choice, was already done when I got him from the humane society. Anyway, my friend lives in an apartment and his roomate has an intact female cat. shes in heat, and the constant meowing is disturbing everyones sleep but his roomate cant afford to get her fixed.

so heres my question,

if I bring my cat over there will he respond to her being in heat and want to mate even though hes neutered? And if they do get it on, will it shut up the female cat or will she keep going on 'till shes not in heat? Ive heard that neutering doesnt completely eliminate mating behavior, but dont have anything concrete. Thanks

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, your male could impregnate her depending on when he was neutered. Males take about a month before their hormones settle.

If you live in the US there are many low cost or even free spaying programs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He hasnt been intact for years. I wont bring him over there, just wondering if in theory that would work. I'll tell him to look into the free spaying program, see if they have one.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good Idea there are WWWAAAYYY too may unwanted kittens/puppies inshelters and dying homeless in the streets. I had a pca, wont say her name, she is a very nice person, who had a unspayed female cat brought from a petstore as a kitten she got out and bred with a neighbors tomcat or a feral tomcat and had babies they all found homes, not sure how good, but unforatntly the owner didnt get her kitty fixed and she ran away again this time for good.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...es/bawling.gif Maybe you could volenteer to get the animal fixed with your own money and he's pay you back http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif. Just a thought.http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Here's the link, if you want to see what's available in your state.
http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#states
thanks for that link, i sent the phone number for my state to my friend. she always stays in the apartment, never goes outside, so theres no unwanted kitten risk just the constant yowling to deal with.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

she always stays in the apartment, never goes outside, so theres no unwanted kitten risk just the constant yowling to deal with.
a great deal of the posts in the pregnant cats & kittens section are from cat who have escaped when in heat. They will do anything to get out and mate, I hope your friend can spay her soon.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will do anything they can to get out when they are in heat. It's nature's design and all that. Also, it's cruel and unhealthy to force her to go through repeated cycles for nothing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your friend is risking their female to get pyrometria which could kill her. Its gotten by unspayed females going in and out of heat constantly. A really nasty disease! Also she's prone to more cancers.

You might not find a "free" spay, but you should find some low-cost ones.

And no your male will not act like a tom cat just cause she's in heat.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaws808

Hey, first post here. My cat is a fairly large maine coon (no papers but thats what the vet says he is) male, neutered and declawed. The declawing wasnt my choice, was already done when I got him from the humane society. Anyway, my friend lives in an apartment and his roomate has an intact female cat. shes in heat, and the constant meowing is disturbing everyones sleep but his roomate cant afford to get her fixed.

so heres my question,

if I bring my cat over there will he respond to her being in heat and want to mate even though hes neutered? And if they do get it on, will it shut up the female cat or will she keep going on 'till shes not in heat? Ive heard that neutering doesnt completely eliminate mating behavior, but dont have anything concrete. Thanks
neutering does in fact eliminate mating behavior. what you heard about is not mating behavior, it is establishing dominance. my spayed female dog humps both my cats (one male, one female) but she is not mating with them. your male cat could possibly dominance-hump the female cat but he would not mate with her.