TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Smoothie Drinkers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoothie Drinkers

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
So I´ve a load of lemons ready to use from my tree..........I have already made enough lemonade, so any smoothie recipes folks ?
post #2 of 16
Sorry, I have no recipies for you but I just had to say I am SOOOO jealous you have a lemon tree. I wanted to get an indoor one, but my apartment is way too small. Is yours indoor or outdoor? How big is it? I still hope to have one, someday. I just think it would be so cool to bake using lemons off of my own lemon tree!
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
Sorry, I have no recipies for you but I just had to say I am SOOOO jealous you have a lemon tree. I wanted to get an indoor one, but my apartment is way too small. Is yours indoor or outdoor? How big is it? I still hope to have one, someday. I just think it would be so cool to bake using lemons off of my own lemon tree!

well thanks....we live in Spain, so as you can imagine lemons grow pretty well here I have two, a standard one and a kumquat - those are nice cos they are just the right size for gin & tonic
I also have a pomegranate
post #4 of 16
No way!! You're just making me too jealous now. A pomegranite tree? I didn't even know that pomegranites grow on trees! You're just so lucky. I live in Canada and it's a big freezing snow pile out there now, and will be for the next few months (this is of course why I need an INDOOR tree)so I've no hope of nice exotic trees like you have. So I'll just sit here and jealously dream of your garden.

P.S. What about a lemon meringue pie? It's certainly not a smoothie but at least it'll use up some of your lemons!
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
well DH mentioned that but..........its the meringue I'm not so sure of
post #6 of 16
You can use the lemons as part of your decore. Get nice size decorative bowl and put in a pile of lemons in it and place it on your kitchen counter or on your dining table. Mix in some branches with green leaves to add colour.

Things I love to use lemons for:

1. stain removal
2. with diet drinks or water or club soda
3. in my cooking
4. to make sauces
5. to sprinkle over salads
6. to add to salad dressings
7. Make body sugar for hair removal

Try going to www.google.ca and searching for lemon recipes and you can get all kinds of ideas on what to use the lemons for.
post #7 of 16
How about a lemon tea bread??? (I would personally use them in mojito's!!) or rum sours!!)
post #8 of 16
Hmmm, never heard of lemons in smoothies.... kinda sour for that... I think.

How about soaking the peels in vodka and making your own flavored vodka?
post #9 of 16
Oooo lemon trees! How wonderful! We had to leave two of them behind when we moved from our previous home last year. If you have formica countertops in your kitchen and they get easily stained, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on them and then cut a lemon or two in half...squeeze the lemonjuice onto the counters and use the lemons themselves as a scouring pad.Works wonderfully, cleans counters beautifully and makes your kitchen smell good too!

Another decorative way to use them is buy a bag of cloves and stick them into the lemons making designs of your choice...smells good and look nice too in a wooden bowl or as part of a centerpiece.

Hey...we used to have a pomegranate 'bush'...I never knew they grew on trees though...maybe its a different strain. Back home in south Texas, you find them on bushes...really BIG bushes...but not trees.

Hilda >^..^<
post #10 of 16
Just squeeze out the juice and freeze in an old fashioned ice cube tray. When frozen, pop out and store the juice cubes in a plastic bag in the freezer for future drinks and recipes.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
...I live in Canada and it's a big freezing snow pile out there now, and will be for the next few months...!
Maybe you're just in the wrong part of Canada? We've got crocus and daffodils up and the cherry trees are starting to bloom!

I agree with freezing the lemon juice. You can make a great marinade for BBQ Chicken with equal parts of oil and lemon juice, and fresh thyme and black peppercorns. Mix and marinade the chicken and throw on the Barbie. Yum, simple and good.

BTW, You can top lemon merengue pie with whipped cream instead.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
thanks guys, some great ideas there...........bet get picking those lemons
post #13 of 16
Hi, Mooficat! I'm envious of you for having lemon trees, too!

I don't have any recipes for lemon smoothies here at home, but I do love to use Google, and a quick search turned up a page that has three smoothie recipes on it, along with hundreds of other drink recipes using lemons:

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/434

I'd never heard of most of those drinks before...or of Webtender, for that matter.

The smoothies there are Grape lemon pineapple smoothie, Kill the cold Smoothie, and Tinyee's Orange Smoothie. Only one of those three smoothies (the last one) contains any alcohol, but it looks as though most of the other recipes there do contain alcohol. But since you mentioned gin and tonic you might be interested in the other recipes, too. (I'll have to check out Webtender more; looks like an interesting website.)


And this page has a lot of regular (non-alcoholic) fruit smoothies on it, many of them using lemons:

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/smoothie.html

And looking at those reminded me that I haven't had breakfast yet...though if I have a smoothie for breakfast it's usually one made from several frozen strawberries, a banana, a cup of cottage cheese, a cup of milk, and half a teaspoon of vanilla...
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinbadsMom View Post
Hi, Mooficat! I'm envious of you for having lemon trees, too!

I don't have any recipes for lemon smoothies here at home, but I do love to use Google, and a quick search turned up a page that has three smoothie recipes on it, along with hundreds of other drink recipes using lemons:

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/434

I'd never heard of most of those drinks before...or of Webtender, for that matter.

The smoothies there are Grape lemon pineapple smoothie, Kill the cold Smoothie, and Tinyee's Orange Smoothie. Only one of those three smoothies (the last one) contains any alcohol, but it looks as though most of the other recipes there do contain alcohol. But since you mentioned gin and tonic you might be interested in the other recipes, too. (I'll have to check out Webtender more; looks like an interesting website.)


And this page has a lot of regular (non-alcoholic) fruit smoothies on it, many of them using lemons:

http://www.boutell.com/vegetarian/smoothie.html

And looking at those reminded me that I haven't had breakfast yet...though if I have a smoothie for breakfast it's usually one made from several frozen strawberries, a banana, a cup of cottage cheese, a cup of milk, and half a teaspoon of vanilla...
Hi there, thanks for those links, very interesting and theres some dee-lish recipes there seems I´m gonna be busy then
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
Maybe you're just in the wrong part of Canada? We've got crocus and daffodils up and the cherry trees are starting to bloom!
Uh yeah, obviously I'm in the wrong part of Canada! I'm in Manitoba and we just got more snow over the weekend. Yay! But at least it's warming up a bit so I can't complain.
post #16 of 16
Have you ever tried making preserved lemons? Try googling a recipe on the net. It involves putting lemons in a mason jar with see salt, lemon juice and water and letting it sit for about a month. They are Delicious. A mellower, yet rich lemon taste. Yummmm. If this appeals I can write out a morrocan recipe involing chicken, preserved lemons, saffrom and olives and rice. Very tasty. Let me know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Smoothie Drinkers