Anyone have a hysterectomy here?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If so, can I ask a personal question?
Do you still have both your ovaries????? I'm having medical issues and would just like some imput from women that have had both taken out.......

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had one when I was 43 one overy left but it soon stopped working.Your welcome to ask me anything I had endometreosis very bad.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a hysterectomy at 32 and still have both ovaries (still working, too). Its been almost 17 years and I don't miss the monthly cramps and backaches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I have had one when I was 43 one overy left but it soon stopped working.Your welcome to ask me anything I had endometreosis very bad.
I had my hysto mostly to try andhelp the endo pain that I have, but it didnt' help. I think because I have one ovary left, it still produces the endo, and I want to tell my gyno that I want it taken out............does that make sense?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a partial, kept my ovaries, and funnily enough, I'm on BC daily (no cycling) to regulate my hormones.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does make sense. But I'm not sure if the one overy could still produce endo tissue? Sometimes I have heard having a hyst doesn't always cure the endo problem. usually it does I watched a tv show with women that had a complete hyst and still had endo? Or maybe its something else causing your pain? Discuss it with your doctor is all you can do. Maybe he could do a lap surgery with a scope and look around to see if you have any endo tissue...

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a nurse in the OR, so I can explain this a little. If a woman with endometriosis has a hysterectomy with the ovaries removed, it usually ends the problems that the endometriosis causes....especially if the surgeon specifically looks for, and removes, the majority of the endometrial implant tissue. Remember that endometriosis is actually bits of the lining of the uterus that are outside of the uterus, in the abdominal cavity. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...ition&ct=title If the ovaries are left in after the hysterectomy, the hormones produced by the ovaries will still stimulate the growth of the endometrial implants in a monthly cycle, just exactly like they do in the uterus. This causes swelling of the endometriosis and the pain associated with it. Sometimes, medications such as Lupron (which causes artifical menopause), or even regular birth control pills will control this pain. Removal of the ovaries usually is the definitive treatment. Once menopause occurs, the discomfort of endometriosis goes away.

Hope this helps!!!

Pookie & the girls

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info Pookie-Poo. I'm not the op, but I have endometriosis issues too. I was on the continuous BCP, and they worked wonderfully- until my blood pressure started going up 6 months ago.

So now I don't know what I'm going to do. I stopped them, without dr knowing- I know bad, but I had a funny feeling that's what was causing the jump in blood pressure (and my weight, which I know I need to work on). When I stopped them a couple of weeks ago, I started feeling better. And when I went to my regular doctor last week to get it checked (I'm going every 3 months with her) the top number was ok, but the bottom number was a little high.

I see my gyn in a couple of weeks, she says she's got other options for me.
I don't mind not taking bcp's, I can't get pregnant anyways (due to a hormonal issue- I don't ovulate) but I really don't want to deal with a period where I'm in pain for 4 days due to horrible cramps and bleeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I'm a nurse in the OR, so I can explain this a little. If a woman with endometriosis has a hysterectomy with the ovaries removed, it usually ends the problems that the endometriosis causes....especially if the surgeon specifically looks for, and removes, the majority of the endometrial implant tissue. Remember that endometriosis is actually bits of the lining of the uterus that are outside of the uterus, in the abdominal cavity. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&d...ition&ct=title If the ovaries are left in after the hysterectomy, the hormones produced by the ovaries will still stimulate the growth of the endometrial implants in a monthly cycle, just exactly like they do in the uterus. This causes swelling of the endometriosis and the pain associated with it. Sometimes, medications such as Lupron (which causes artifical menopause), or even regular birth control pills will control this pain. Removal of the ovaries usually is the definitive treatment. Once menopause occurs, the discomfort of endometriosis goes away.

Hope this helps!!!

Pookie & the girls
wow, I have to run, but thanks so much for the info.......do you mind if I PM you at a later date for more info???

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

If so, can I ask a personal question?
Do you still have both your ovaries????? I'm having medical issues and would just like some imput from women that have had both taken out.......
I have not Susie, but I am sending you hugs and prayers from Mississippi.