Just wanted to share . . .

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I know that most of you don't believe in letting our cats outside, but I just wanted to share what I did in my backyard. I did all this research online about how to keep cats in the yard. Then we went to home depot and bought very soft, collapsable wiring and stapled it onto the top of the existing fence. I pulled it a little inward so if our kitty tries to jump, he'll hit the top of his head on the wiring. We did this all around so the fencing is at least 6 feet tall all around.

Then, we bought some flashing and nailed it to the tree trunks of the trees he might climb. He can jump up a few feet to sharpen his claws, but he can't get up past the flashing. Then we went all around the fence and made sure there was no space under the fence where he could go. And then we just stayed out there with him and had so much fun. I get such a thrill out of watching him -especially on a somewhat sunny day. (that's about as sunny as it gets in Seattle.) He leaps after moths, and does that funny sideways hunchbacked run all the way across the yard. He looks like a panther, the way he runs and leaps, and slinks. I love it. I wouldn't leave him out there unsupervised, because I just wouldn't. But I can watch him out the window while I'm doing the dishes or hang out with him. And the best thing of all is that when I click the clicker he comes running in the house because he knows he'll get a treat. I'm having so much fun!! Thanks for listening, just wanted to share.
Mimi

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yay, way to go

I am sure your kitty is just going to enjoy getting some outdoor time - and you´ll feel relaxed cos you know everything is safe - brill

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mother's cat goes outside unsupervised, but somehow has learned that she's only to stay within the fenced area, so she can be left outside like a dog. She made maybe 2 escape attempts when she was first let out, but after that gave up and learned to enjoy the yard. She's fully capable of getting out if she wants to (no special precautions were made to make the yard secure) but just prefers inside the fence. And she always comes inside when called, though admittedly she takes her own time and has to pretend that it was her idea in the first place.
I think it's wonderful to give cats some outside time if possible. She always looks like she's having such a great time with the wind blowing in her fur, chasing insects and leaves and all the great outdoor things. I'm so happy that she can be an indoor cat with some outdoor priviledges.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiva13

Hi,
I know that most of you don't believe in letting our cats outside, but I just wanted to share what I did in my backyard. I did all this research online about how to keep cats in the yard. Then we went to home depot and bought very soft, collapsable wiring and stapled it onto the top of the existing fence. I pulled it a little inward so if our kitty tries to jump, he'll hit the top of his head on the wiring. We did this all around so the fencing is at least 6 feet tall all around.

Then, we bought some flashing and nailed it to the tree trunks of the trees he might climb. He can jump up a few feet to sharpen his claws, but he can't get up past the flashing. Then we went all around the fence and made sure there was no space under the fence where he could go. And then we just stayed out there with him and had so much fun. I get such a thrill out of watching him -especially on a somewhat sunny day. (that's about as sunny as it gets in Seattle.) He leaps after moths, and does that funny sideways hunchbacked run all the way across the yard. He looks like a panther, the way he runs and leaps, and slinks. I love it. I wouldn't leave him out there unsupervised, because I just wouldn't. But I can watch him out the window while I'm doing the dishes or hang out with him. And the best thing of all is that when I click the clicker he comes running in the house because he knows he'll get a treat. I'm having so much fun!! Thanks for listening, just wanted to share.
Mimi
It sounds like to went through a great deal of thought, time, and effort to do this and I congratulate you. Persi never wants to go outside, but Alley is a rescued cat from the streets and she sits and the back door, which is glass, and looks out into the back yard a lot of the time. There are a couple of things I do that people consider mean and one of them is that I am not going to let either one of them outside. But it sounds like you were brilliant in your approach, something I would expect from a fellow Seattleite. (As you can see, I have moved.)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have a collar with name and contact info just in case he does get out of the fence?

Also, I think if I ever wanted my cats to have outside time, I'd just get the portable tent like enclosure that you can set up. Be easier in my opinion

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kudos to you on putting forth so much effort for your kitties! i've daydreamed about doing something similar, but alas, i live in an apartment and have no outside space to call my own. someday...

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a catfence as well, and it is as tight as a drum! Both my cats go in and out at will through the pet flap. I completely understand the description of the running and so forth they do. My wire-haired cat looks like a cheetah running across the yard. Our set up cost $700 but my pets have almost 1/4 of an acre to enjoy, with trees and shrubs to boot. We are loving it.

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for understanding my delight. It seems like a lot of work, but it only took about an hour or two. And all in all, it was about $80.00. The flashing works really great because he can't get a grip on the smooth tin. I hope the trees didn't hurt when we hammered the nails in!

Mimi