I need advise...quickly

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok so some of you know about Ms. Nuit the newish aggressive cat I've had for 2 months or so. I put up an add on Craigslist, and told about her personality quirks as well. To be honest I wasn't really expecting many responses or any really.
An 18 yr old girl responded, and said she had a cat like that previously (tough to handle)and also she's too much of an animal lover to be an irresponsible pet owner. She doesn't have any other pets and said is more then willing to give her the time she needs to adjust. I'm just about 24 and I know I was a responsible pet owner at that age but I don't know of too many other people are. Am I over reacting? I'm just scared about her going to another home. Any responses would be appreciated.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest that you check with her vet to make sure, I dont know if I am trusting enough to let a cat go to a stranger without doing some checking first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the cat was more the family cat then hers, Should i check the vet anyways?she might come over to visit with her tomorrow just to see. i'm not sure.
I feel really sad about the possibility of her going somewhere else.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, hard times are hard times but I think giving your cat to this girl would make this girl happy, and you should be happy too

It's not like a football game when 1 side loses and cries and the other screams and feels high (rimes?
) - here you are in a situation where both sides "win", so you should be happy, and I know it's probably deep-down tough for you but you're doing the right thing, you should really be happy with what you do. Wtg!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said that "she had a cat"...what happened to it? You might want to consider that before making a decision. Did she give it up? Did she put it to sleep? Was it an outdoor cat and got lost or killed?

Go with your gut. If you think the girl is too young and probably not as responsible as you might like, then wait and find someone else.

I know when I was 18 as much as I loved pets and did the best for them, I had to give them away to someone else in the end because life is hectic at age 18 years old.

She may decide to go to college and live on campus...where will the cat go because she wouldn't be able to take the cat with her. What will happen to the cat?

Cats are like children. They need time and attention and it's a real committment...for life! Being 18 and a "Mom" is a difficult thing. Granted cats don't require as much work as actual children do, but it's still a committment. Is it one that she's prepared to make for better or worse for the lifetime of the cat?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you'd know how her family took care of their pets. Ask for a couple of personal references, too- even if they give you a glowing report, you'll have some idea of the kind of people she gives for her references (read as: hangs out with- whether or not they are mature, sensible sounding people, etc.
My vet has been one of my references when I've been looking at adopting anyways
)

Meet with her, let her be around the cat, see how they do- just make it clear that she won't be taking her home this trip- if the references and vet all check out, and the meeting goes well, you can tell her to bring her cat carrier as soon as she likes. If it doesn't, just say you have to think on things (or if you haven't finished the reference checking yet, that you have to do that), and then tell her over the phone later that it isn't going to work out (this is a safety precaution, especially if you will be alone with her
).

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I just emailed her about references and questions about the past cat, and this response hasn't been as quick as the last few. It's tough cuz I don't want to give her to the first person that comes around but she's gonna be so hard to rehome and she's not happy with all the other cat here & being a bully on top of it to my other kitties. I want her to be in lasting home, she's 7 and 1/2 yrs old and she's been through more change in the past 3 months then she has in her whole life.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing I would require is that if she still lives at home that the whole family come and meet the cat first. We occasionally would get young adults in that were looking to adopt and assured us it was fine with the family...but had actually never asked their parents permission or knew their parents wouldn’t be ok with it. If they found out they couldn’t get one from a shelter that screens, I imagine they would be smart enough to go some place else that wouldn’t ask questions. (This is also something you want to go over with her if she is in college and moves home for summers.)

I would be very leery if she did not want you to talk to her parents (or landlord).

I wish you the best of luck finding a good home. I know it is frustrating and you might get a few bad apples before you find the right person, but it will be well worth it.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's not living at home anymore. She has her own place with a boyfriend & I guess they've been talking about getting a cat. (then what happens if they part?) So many things to think about
yikes.....

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And I don't even know what my heart is telling me half telling me one thing the other half telling another.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

And I don't even know what my heart is telling me half telling me one thing the other half telling another.
Just wait until she comes to see the cat, then go from there, first impressions always mean a lot to me. You can tell a lot about people just by their first impression.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladycat, I don't mean to sound like the voice of doom and gloom, but I'd rethink considering this young lady...at 18, she may be capable and willing to care for a cat, but my main concern would be...for how long? Until she and her boyfriend split up, and go their separate ways, and she can't find the token cat-friendly apartment? Or, she decides to go to college, she and boyfriend split up, and she moves into the dorms? And, is it financially viable for an 18 year-old splitting the rent and bills with a boyfriend to afford veterinary care, food, emergencies, etc. that accompany a cat?

I think I'd find someone whose life is a bit more stable and consistent at this point, but it is entirely up to you.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Certainly not the voice of doom & gloom, those are my big concerns right now. Part of me wants to meet her & see but the rest of me is hearing all that in my head.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Certainly not the voice of doom & gloom, those are my big concerns right now. Part of me wants to meet her & see but the rest of me is hearing all that in my head.
Just meet her and go from there, you never know, but if you have any doubts after you meet her, then you know what you gotta do.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Also it wouldn't hurt to tell her that you hafta meet her boyfriend too, after all he is gonna be around the cat too.

Remember to keep us updated on the situation.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I guess I just wait till tomorrow and see if she writes back or calls after I asked for references.
thanks everyone

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well I guess I just wait till tomorrow and see if she writes back or calls after I asked for references.
thanks everyone
I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi that everything goes ok, just remember that we are all here ready to help you out with advice.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks, sweet of you