what dry food is best

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had it pretty ingrained in my head that science diet was really good quality food (from the vet and my gramma
) but i was reading someone else's thread and there were other foods brought up and for a better price. nutrients wise, y are they better? There was the chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and...I can't find the thread this second....
just curious on thoughts and experiences and wondering if I should switch?

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Science Diet, Purina and just about anything you can buy at the grocery store/Walmart is pretty junky. Chicken Soup is a good food, as are Innove, Californiia Natural, Felidae, Wellness, Eagle Pack Holistics. There are many others. Check out this site, it has a lot of info on food and which ones are good and bad, and why.

http://http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best dry is the one your cat will eat and thrives on... Now for my opinion

find one without by products of meat ( ie chn by products as this can be heads feet intestines undeveloped eggs...) I prefer meal which is the parts you and I eat minus fat and water ( think beef jerky)... chicken , beef , lamb as an ingrediant is great but realize the label is done on RAW ingrediants ... when sooked that chn looses enough volume and wt to go from first on the raw label to fifth or sixth.... Meal and the strait meat is best in my book
but usually my girls get meal

ground corn should be avoided it is allergenic and NOT digestable to the pt wheat and rice( rice is best ) .... many avoid wheat due to allergies ( personally I do avoid it but vet says it is fine) .... corn gluten is a protein and is okay as long as a meat meal is in front of it

I avoid soy ... it can be allergenic and some studies link it to many issues ... legumes in general should be avoided ie alfalfa, soy, beans of any kind and for some flaxseed

CHEMICAL preservatives ie citric acid in most cases , bht , bha , ethoxiquin

My two that eat dry eat nutro one natural choice the other is a dog small breed ultra

good foods that arent pricey

nutro
natural balence
solid gold
chn soup
felidea
there are more but these are usually less expensive and are good

CATS DONT need veggies and should have less than a one meat to one and half grain s ratio ... three meats with five grains is example..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow, you can buy science diet in grocery stores where you are? not here, only at petco's and vets offices.
thanks both for advice, checking out the site now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SD should only be found at feed , pet and vets but the quality is about grocery leval... That site is not very accurate ONE IT is for DOG s and two the way they rate it well FLAWED via basic knowledge of dogs

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i think science diet is a good food! i tried chicken soup, the ingredients look GREAT, but my cat did not do well on it, it gave her terrible gas and made her fur coarse and dull. after trying a few different brands i decided to go back to what we had originall started with.... Maxximum Nutrition, one of walmarts brands. it has decent ingredients and she does very well on it.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was using the science diet all natural for a little while they all did really well on, but I moved and they don't have that one around anywhere here. Currently on the indoor formula, which is making the little one really gassey . I've got 2 fat cats, one thin siamese (a good weight for him I'm told) and the other 2 are petite at a good weight. Tough to find something they can all work with . I'm currently out of a job so I can't do seperate diets. I really wish I could, it helped Bentley be at a good weight , the other one came to me fat and doesn't eat to much, she's really squishy

heck I don't know!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

I've had it pretty ingrained in my head that science diet was really good quality food (from the vet and my gramma
) but i was reading someone else's thread and there were other foods brought up and for a better price. nutrients wise, y are they better? There was the chicken soup for the pet lovers soul and...I can't find the thread this second....
just curious on thoughts and experiences and wondering if I should switch?
I just by chance started feeding Persi SD when I brought him home at age 7 weeks. I had no idea what to feed him so I bought the most expensive food at the time just because I had not read up on it and wanted to start him on something good. He grew and thrived and then I soon joined this site and started seeing all the bad mouth about SD on here. This was after several months. I considered changing his food to something else because of what I was reading here but then I reasoned: look how healthy he is and he is never sick and he never has hair balls and nobody can smell his litter box so why should I change? So I did not, and recently I brought a rescued cat home and I was worried about what to feed her but she ran right over and started eating all of Persi's food and so that is now what they eat every day exclusively. I am evidently in the minority on this site, but with my cats doing so well, and reading about all the other cat problems on this site, I am not going to change the food they are eating. I realize every cat is different and has different needs. It just so happens that my cats love Science Diet and are doing so well on it. So I thought it was only fair that I report my side of the story because you are going to get a lot of negatives about SD.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

SD should only be found at feed , pet and vets but the quality is about grocery leval... That site is not very accurate ONE IT is for DOG s and two the way they rate it well FLAWED via basic knowledge of dogs
and how is the website flawed?

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ONE IT is for DOG s
and it's very bad for them too. Almost all vets recommend it because they don't know much if anything about nutrition. They go to seminars that are run by dog food companies like Science Diet. Science diet also pays them to push this food on customers. I'm sure not all vets do but I know mine does. The ingredients are no good and there is much better stuff out there. I want to switch mine from Purina. The food is bad and they poop a lot, the poop is normal but I know better food can reduce it and make it less smelly.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow ok.....stirred this up!
I would loved to go on an all natural type of food or as natural as I can with out going raw (ha, and I would if I had the means too!).
Interesting to hear none the less about science diet, (keeping an open mind...)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

The best dry is the one your cat will eat and thrives on... Now for my opinion

May I state that again...

If kitty is gassy top ingrediants are soy and corn for gas.... you may want to avoid those ... IMHO SD is grocery with a high$$ ... BUT many animals do fine on that type of food

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
got it sharky!! I will try to avoid those so she doesn't continue to ruin the ozone layer

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

wow ok.....stirred this up!
I would loved to go on an all natural type of food or as natural as I can with out going raw (ha, and I would if I had the means too!).
Interesting to hear none the less about science diet, (keeping an open mind...)
I was pessimistic when i first started coming on animal forums and I learned that Science Diet/ Eukanuba and others are basically dog & cat versions of junk food. After all I had raised animals all my life on that food. However after hearing many different people telling me the change they saw in their dogs after they switched I decided to do a 30 day trial period. After 30 days if I didn't like what I saw I was going to switch back to my regular brand (Which was Purina). I switched my dogs food to Flint River Ranch at first. And within a week I noticed a difference. She had already had a spot on her bum that was dry, flaky, and itchy. I just figured it was dry skin and nothing I could really do about it unless I put vitamins in her food. Well after that week I noticed it wasn't as dry and the hair was getting thicker. By the full 30 days I was sold.

Now I'm trying to find a good brand that is in my area instead of buying it online. That's been a bit of a challenge which is the downside to feeding the best foods. But the hassle is well worth it.

Perhaps you could do a 30 day challenge as well. Just remember each animal is an individual and what may work for one person may not for another. So if the first brand you choose does not go well try another. You may find something you like..

Oh and I feed a lot less now. Where I was buying 20lbs of food every 8 days I now buy 35# bags every month and a 1/2.