Can Your Kitty Open Cupboards?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a while now, Chasey has been trying to open the cupboard doors in the bathroom and kitchen. I remember the first time I heard it a few months ago while I was in bed. It definitely sounded like a bump in the night. It went like this: "BUMP! b bump bump bump, BUMP! b bump bump bump, BUMP! b bump bump bump..."
She has never managed to open one enough to get in until last night when I was in the kitchen. I heard the bumping while I was putting something away in the pantry. When I turn around she was gone. I opened a couple of cupboards, found her and asked her to come out. I know this is a pain in the butt for some people, but I'm so proud of my little girl!
Do you remember the first time your kitty did this?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, both of them can except Tiger has a fit when he can't open the cupboard that is under the entertainment center.
he tries to open it every night and never succeeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's funny!
If Chasey gets frustrated, she doesn't show it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Do you remember the first time your kitty did this?
LOL! yep. i also remember the expression on mike's face when he found nabu sleeping in my 9x13 baking dish.

nabu is our resident cabinet opener. i have been through 3 different kinds of locks before i found one that works. he still tests them daily though. so he keeps me on my toes if i forget.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup and here's the proof!

I was very surprised when she first did this - she's not the sharpest tool in the shed

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari can open the bathroom vanity cabinet. I think he just likes making noise with the door.

In the middle of the night.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

LOL! yep. i also remember the expression on mike's face when he found nabu sleeping in my 9x13 baking dish.

nabu is our resident cabinet opener. i have been through 3 different kinds of locks before i found one that works. he still tests them daily though. so he keeps me on my toes if i forget.
You've got a real smart one!

Originally Posted by sarahp

Yup and here's the proof!

I was very surprised when she first did this - she's not the sharpest tool in the shed
What a cute video!

Originally Posted by gemlady

Ari can open the bathroom vanity cabinet. I think he just likes making noise with the door.

In the middle of the night.
That's about the only noise I love to hear in the night; Bump b bump bump bump! Bump b bump bump bump!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We've had more than one guest tell us that our kitchen cabinet doors can be adjusted to "hang" properly, and then look dumbfounded when we say we want them to "stick". We had to get a child-proof handle put on our freezer, and the first thing the guy who came to install it said was, "I assume you have a cat!"

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Much's favorite hiding places are the cupboards (which is really fun when I'm trying to find her for a vet visit). We can also tell when she is stressing out and wants to hide because we hear the "Bump b bump bump bump! Bump b bump bump bump!".

Lucy will try but her method is the same as doors - push really hard. She has shut herself into certain rooms this way.

Carly doesn't even do doors well. She pushes the opening with her paw just enough to see through and then looks really pathetic until you open the door.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

We've had more than one guest tell us that our kitchen cabinet doors can be adjusted to "hang" properly, and then look dumbfounded when we say we want them to "stick". We had to get a child-proof handle put on our freezer, and the first thing the guy who came to install it said was, "I assume you have a cat!"
I bet Jamie can open it, but he's just decided to let you win that battle.

Originally Posted by katachtig

Much's favorite hiding places are the cupboards (which is really fun when I'm trying to find her for a vet visit). We can also tell when she is stressing out and wants to hide because we hear the "Bump b bump bump bump! Bump b bump bump bump!".

Lucy will try but her method is the same as doors - push really hard. She has shut herself into certain rooms this way.

Carly doesn't even do doors well. She pushes the opening with her paw just enough to see through and then looks really pathetic until you open the door.
Poor Carly!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Summer does! She even opened the neighbor's cupboard while visiting! What a snoop! It was a little embarassing!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evie is funny, she can open every cabinet door, our bedroom door to the kitchen, and the closet door. The only door she can NOT open, for whatever reason, is the bathroom door- which is identical to the other doors. Now remember, the bathroom is the room with the "magical faucet" that she wants to drink out of every second of every day. There's no room she wants in more than the bathroom, but that's the only door she can't open! Poor thing!

I guess I'm lucky, though, because the cabinet she likes to play in the most is the one I don't use!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Mosi can open cupboards. I discovered this when I returned from work to find he'd raided the cat food cupboard, dragged a 2kg bag of cat food out, chewed through the packaging and stuffed himself all day! I have child proof locks on there now. He can get into the other cupboards but he's discovered that they don't contain anything interesting so doesn't bother with them much.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blondie Rumpleteaser gets into the cupboards, but she's kind of clumsy doing with, letting the door "thump - thump - thump" several times till she can get a good enough grip to open it.

Sassy Sasparilla on the other hand is a completely accomplished cat burgler. She rushes up to the cupboard, and in the space of a heartbeat she stretches to the top of the door, hooks it at the top, pulls it open and then rolls around it and slips through the opening. The first time I saw that I thought that I'd imagined it, it happened so fast.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Löki and Jacob can open cupboards, Löki only because Jacob taught him how!
Jacob is quite talented with cupboards, doors, etc. He can open bi-fold doors to the closets, regular unlocked doors in the house, no cupboards are safe from him and can even open the sliding screen door out onto the deck unless we have it locked. I have caught him jumping up before and trying to push the lock open, but he hasn't been successful yet - give him time!
When he was a baby, even if a door in the house was open, he thought you had to jump up, grab the handle and turn it before you could go through the door~ It was quite hilarious to watch him!

estelle58

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think they tried it yet... but they sure love to get in them when I open them... especially the towel cupbard...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not in this house but in the old house Sophie used to try and open the kitchen cupboards. I'm suprised she never succeeded either because she's certainly a determined little thing

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kiko is my cabinet door opener. He hasnt met a door he couldnt open. Sometimes I can go into the kitchen and there will be several doors opened at once. If you try to use anything to keep him from opening them he will go on a meowing strike
so I just let him keep on doing his thing.