Cat stumbles after eating

mattcatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat-lovers,

Does anyone know about this situation?

In the last few months, my eight-year-old tabby, Parry, has started stumbling as he walks away from his food bowl.

He will be walking away and all the sudden will stumble kind of like a leg is giving out (like if a person gets up and their leg is asleep, the way they can't put weight on it), but it also looks like he might be having internal pain to which he is reacting.

The theories I have are either that he's not chewing the hard crunchies enough and they hurt as they go down his esophagus, or that when he eats these days he sometimes gets pain in his stomach as a result.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks
MattCatt

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MattCatt

Hello cat-lovers,

Does anyone know about this situation?

In the last few months, my eight-year-old tabby, Parry, has started stumbling as he walks away from his food bowl.

He will be walking away and all the sudden will stumble kind of like a leg is giving out (like if a person gets up and their leg is asleep, the way they can't put weight on it), but it also looks like he might be having internal pain to which he is reacting.

The theories I have are either that he's not chewing the hard crunchies enough and they hurt as they go down his esophagus, or that when he eats these days he sometimes gets pain in his stomach as a result.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks
MattCatt
I would bring him to the vet and see what the problem was.

I am sending hugs and prayers for him from Mississippi.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it only when he eats or do you see signs of this when he jumps up and down from things? And is it a front leg or back leg that gives out?

Agree that he should be seen by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattcatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Momofmany,

Parry doesn't have the same problem with jumping, it's just when he walks away from eating. It's not REALLY like his leg gives out, that's just the best I could descrbie it. It's more like there's pain inside and he has a whole body wince which causes him to get low to the ground.

Any other ideas, or anyone who has had this experience?

Matt

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be an inner ear problem - with his head down eating and then picking it up and walking away would cause problems in balance. I'd have him thoroughly checked out by your vet.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hide pain REALLY well, so if you think he's in pain, he's suffering a lot. Things can go downhill really fast, too, for this reason. He really needs to be checked out by a vet.

Sending good thoughts for Parry, and you.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Parry should be seen by a vet. Is he eating well or does he seem to have problems eating/chewing his food? If he's having trouble getting the food down it could be a problem with his esophagus or stomach.

Hugs to both of you and good luck finding out what is causing the problem.