Help! Petsmart adoption!!

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

We have 2 lovely Sphynx cats and went into Petsmart with my children buying, litter, catfood, etc...and walked past the adoption area. There must have been 15 cats, all over 1 year old. And ALL of us, my 13, 12 and 6 year olds and myself all zoomed in on this weird looking cat. He was very fluffy, but has a kind of "dumb" look about him. It was love. He was totally sweet, and docile, just stared at us. Before you know it, I am filling out an adoption form (deal with husband later) and we are petting him, and now we are waiting for the call back. My kids already are considering him ours. My question is, is there a chance we wont get "picked" to adopt this cat? We are from an affluent area, we have a large fenced in yard (but noted the cat would be a housecat and never let out), we would never declaw a cat, and have good "references". I couldnt sleep all night, worrying that I would dissapoint my children if they dont call.

I did find out thru family and friends that she called my references about 10 minutes after I walked out the store.

Thoughts? Help ease a mommas worry over dissapointing her children.

Thanks in advance!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SphynxMommy

Hey guys!

We have 2 lovely Sphynx cats and went into Petsmart with my children buying, litter, catfood, etc...and walked past the adoption area. There must have been 15 cats, all over 1 year old. And ALL of us, my 13, 12 and 6 year olds and myself all zoomed in on this weird looking cat. He was very fluffy, but has a kind of "dumb" look about him. It was love. He was totally sweet, and docile, just stared at us. Before you know it, I am filling out an adoption form (deal with husband later) and we are petting him, and now we are waiting for the call back. My kids already are considering him ours. My question is, is there a chance we wont get "picked" to adopt this cat? We are from an affluent area, we have a large fenced in yard (but noted the cat would be a housecat and never let out), we would never declaw a cat, and have good "references". I couldnt sleep all night, worrying that I would dissapoint my children if they dont call.

I did find out thru family and friends that she called my references about 10 minutes after I walked out the store.

Thoughts? Help ease a mommas worry over dissapointing her children.

Thanks in advance!
The best of luck to you, I do hope that you get this cat, please keep us updated on this cat. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you'll have a problem.......you'll soon have your new baby home! Congrats on the new additions! We would love to see pics of this little one, plus your other babies!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your responses!! I sure hope so. My 6 year old woke up this morning and with eyes still shut and half asleep, moaned "I hope we get sammy, I hope they call". I told him yesterday that the cat has to PICK US. LOL we shall see. I am dying however.

Oh and he isnt so little! He has no neck. So much fur on him, he looks GINORMOUS! LOL

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to screen adoption forms and the types of things they always told me to look for were around past pet experiences and very young children (under 4). If you have a history of adopting an animal and not keeping them for life, they ran away, or were hit by a car, then you are a risky adopter. Shows that you aren't taking care of your furry kids. We also looked for declaws or keeping a pet outside. Very young children don't always know how to handle an animal and if its a first pet, they really grill the person hard on how to control the child around the animal.

It doesn't sound like there is anything to prevent this adoption. You won't declaw, your kids are older and have experience with cats. Kitten season starts very soon and they are really glad to place the adult cats to make room for them.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine that owning 2 Sphynx could put you in good standing for the adoption. They have special needs regarding their care a lot of people can't or won't dedicate themselves. It takes a special family and that is what they are looking for.

I just read the above and hope you understand what I am saying. I'm not sure I do. (I just woke up.
)

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting, and yet the wait can be so hard, but I believe it will be worth it. You should have no problems. It is great that the children are as excited as you are. Hope you hear something today..

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

How exciting, and yet the wait can be so hard, but I believe it will be worth it. You should have no problems. It is great that the children are as excited as you are. Hope you hear something today..
I feel good too, its just I see my kids faces, and I think oh my if they say no, they will be devastated. KWIM? Its weird, we had no intention of adding a new baby to our home but when we all saw his precious face....and those eyes...had to!!!

The kids are upstairs now cleaning their rooms! LOL Just in case he comes today! Hey is that the trick???? LOL

Thanks again for all your support, you guys are so great

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel good too, its just I see my kids faces, and I think oh my if they say no, they will be devastated. KWIM? Its weird, we had no intention of adding a new baby to our home but when we all saw his precious face....and those eyes...had to!!!

The kids are upstairs now cleaning their rooms! LOL Just in case he comes today! Hey is that the trick???? LOL

Thanks again for all your support, you guys are so great
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and your kids, I hope you get the call in a little bit. Please let us know when you hear something.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it sounds very promising
awe i am sending good adoption vibes ur way
and keeping my fingers crossed for u
Keep us updated

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted both of my cats, I filled out the forms and they looked over it and said ok looks good and gave me the cats. I don't know what they actually look for, but it doesn't sound like you have any reason not to get this kitty.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as though you have a very good chance with Sammy!
And given they rang your references so soon, it sounds as though they like you as well

It's going to be funnny having 2 Sphynxes and one ginormous fluffy cat
Did your husband just sigh when you told him?

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! I just called and the girl who took the appy messed it all up. Denied it saying we had dogs (WE DONT!) and that my son is allergic (HES NOT!) and then I called and clarify it all and now we are on our way to pick up SAMMY!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy! Will post pictures as soon as I get him settled it. I am a little scared of the hair...but I am sure I will get used to it!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OMG! I just called and the girl who took the appy messed it all up. Denied it saying we had dogs (WE DONT!) and that my son is allergic (HES NOT!) and then I called and clarify it all and now we are on our way to pick up SAMMY!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy! Will post pictures as soon as I get him settled it. I am a little scared of the hair...but I am sure I will get used to it!
That is the best news ever, I am so glad that you got Sammy, I will be waiting to see the pictures.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats!!!!
Can't wait for pics!!! He will be so funny in a house with two Sphinxes....

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so excited...I cant wait to see pics
u will get used to the hair
I cant believe that chick messed up ur appy, people these days need to pay attention to wat they are doing
I am so exited for u

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Will check back later for pics of sammy