Phobias??

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you most afraid of, and why?? I am going to try and make a poll

If you dont see your answer, feel free to go ahead and tell us.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snakes hands down.

When I was younger I handled snakes a lot since one of my teachers had a collection including poisonous ones. But later on I was riding my bike down a dirt road, and ran over a grass snake accidentally. It was wriggling so fast and out of control and freaked me out. Even though it was harmless, I never could handle snakes again knowing that it could move that fast and be out of control.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You left out snakes
I can't even enter the snake exhibit, at the Desert Museum and they're all safely behind thick glass.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders! I HATE them!!!! I have been bit on 3 seperate occassions by brown recluse spiders. There is nothing more painful! I was in a living hell! Now spiders completly freak me out- i hate them! If i see one i scream at the top of my lungs and throw things at it to try and kill it. I HATE HATE HATE spiders!
I also hate clowns as well- but that's an entirely different story

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Closed in spaces. I can't stand to be boxed in somewhere. My husband learned the hard way that I wasn't kidding. When someone corners me up, like into a closet, I go nuts. My adrenaline starts pumping and I get very violent until I get out. I can't even stand to put my head under the blankets.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 and neither is listed. One is bridges. I so afraid of them. I have bad anxiety attacks if I have to go over them. I can blame my lovely dad for that one (still love him though). When I was younger he used to pretend that he was gonna drive his truck (at later motorcycle) off the side of these big bridges where I used to live. And because I couldn't swim then (still can't) I really thought I would die. So now at age 26 I still have a huge fear of them.

The other is water. And specifically anything above the waist. That has a few reasons 1)being I can't swim and 2) when I was around age 10 step dad decided I should learn how to swim. With nothing but around the waist floaty on he chucked me into the middle of a river. Needless to say I sunk and had to be rescued by a family member. Now I can't stand to be around water.

Needless to say I don't think I will be on our boat much once it gets done. Heck I can't even take my kids to the pier without have major attacks. And they are standing still.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, spiders.. terrified of them. I don't know what it is.. and it frustrates me, cos there are no dangerous spiders here, but each time I see a spider you'd think it's a black widow from how I react. I don't consciously mean to freak out, it just happens, like it's a physical reaction I can't control at all. My heart starts beating fast and I get nervous..and if it gets within a certain distance of me, and/or is very large, I'll start to shake and get goosebumps, and go into what almost kind of feels like shock.. like I'm paralyzed but feel like I'm about to go crazy.. a couple times I almost fainted. It's insane... I wish I knew how to not freak out about them so much :/

Nothing else freaks me out.. I love snakes. We get big potato bugs sometimes in the summer, in here on the rug - I don't mind them. I scoop them up on a paper and put them outside. But spiders.. I can't deal with them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I catch spiders and throw them back outside if I find them, afterall they didn't ask to be in an almost desert type environment with no food. Same with scorpions.
I've had pet snakes before, but besides that snakes are not actually "mean" so it's rather difficult to honestly hate them

My irrational fear is heights, I can't even make it up a ladder.

Originally Posted by Ping

When I was younger he used to pretend that he was gonna drive his truck (at later motorcycle) off the side of these big bridges where I used to live.
The other is water. And specifically anything above the waist. That has a few reasons 1)being I can't swim and 2) when I was around age 10 step dad decided I should learn how to swim. With nothing but around the waist floaty on he chucked me into the middle of a river.
Oh that's awful
I have a strong dislike for both, but not a phobia. Bridges, because I was in a car wreck as a child and we went off the bridge. I occasionally have weird dream I'm going to fall/drive off a bridge.

I dislike deep water, when I was 3 one of my parents friend's held my head underwater and wouldn't let me up till I stopped struggling. Another time at 4, I fell into a hole in a lake that a boat at left and barely made it back out. Parents and people around me ignored the panicking struggling child.
So I can't swim either! I refuse to let anyone near me if I'm in waist deep water.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders! I was bathing a dog at the shelter where I volunteer the other day and I freaked out when I saw a baby spider in it and I took Hennessy out of the tub and I had to get the lady who runs the shelter to get it.
I felt like such a baby but no way was I touching that thing!!

I would never be scared of any dog, ever and I have been bit once by a border collie in a middle of a dog fight and a rottie recently and love them both to death still! of course it wasn't their fault, it just happened and I am not scared of any dog ever in the world. I have had dogs my whole life and it just wouldn't be the same if I didn't have a dog in my life, especially my dogs of course cats, too!
especially my kitties!

and I have to sleep with the light on at night or I feel like I am suffocating. I don't know why
I do that, though.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I catch spiders and throw them back outside if I find them, afterall they didn't ask to be in an almost desert type environment with no food. Same with scorpions.
I've had pet snakes before, but besides that snakes are not actually "mean" so it's rather difficult to honestly hate them

well spiders aren't "mean", either, but phobias aren't about rationality - by very definition, a phobia is an irrational fear.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Listen, I am not scared of much...............SPIDERS
DEEP PHOBIA! I even constantly look for them everywhere I go
! If I see one I am screaming and
! When I was a tot, I use to catch them,play with them......Then when I was 8 years old I was walking around the back of an abandoned building with my dad. I was looking back at him as I was walking......Turned my head forward and I AM NOT KIDDING.....an inch in front of my face was this black and yellow spider, at least half the size of my face, in the middle of this huge web
! Needless to say I was screaming, running, crying........I swear this thing was looking right at me! Ever since I have nightmares, constantly look for them, serious phobia...........truly my only fear.......

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

well spiders aren't "mean", either, but phobias aren't about rationality - by very definition, a phobia is an irrational fear.
Of course they're irrational, but going about how much you hate something is a bit silly. I have a phobia of heights but I don't "hate" heights. I just prefer to stay on the ground.

I save feelings of anything stronger than dislike for things that actually have a consciousness and are willfully cruel. ie, people hurting/killing others or animals.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Of course they're irrational, but going about how much you hate something is a bit silly. I have a phobia of heights but I don't "hate" heights. I just prefer to stay on the ground.

I save feelings of anything stronger than dislike for things that actually have a consciousness and are willfully cruel. ie, people hurting/killing others or animals.
I agree, I don't hate spiders at all! I hate that I fear them or the thought of if anything! Right now I had to do a home check.....It's so frustrating to feel like this about something. I think some people combine hating something with a phobia, or even scared of.......Phobias effect your everyday life, uncontrollable thoughts even when your not confronted with the fear of......

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been bitten by spiders so many times, but for some reason I'm still not afraid of them. There seems to be some immunity to certain poisonous spiders in my family. Two of my brothers were bitten by black widows with nothing but minor swelling. Then one of them got bit by a brown spider, don't remember the name, but the doc was all freaked out about it. Again, nothing but minor swelling that was undetectable the next day. Weird.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I would have to go with Spiders on this one !!! Although heights some times scare me but not all of the time
but also it was a toughy with mice...when they run across ur hand in a drawer that can be pretty scary
but if there is a spider I usually flip out

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted heights but its not really the height thing that gets me. For some reason I am deathly afraid of bridges. I can look at them, be near them heck I even think they are an amazing enginering structure. I do not for any reason like to be on one. Forget it, I won't do it. If I need to take a bridge there Im not going. It gets tough on highways a things with overpasses, they are bridges too. My DH thinks its funny. He tells me when one is coming and I shut my eyes untill we are over it then he has to tell me when we have passed over it. I also hate elevators. I will take the stairs any day, no matter how high up I have to walk.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
There weren't any on my list
my phobias are death and lifts (though i use them i do hate being on them, i used to avoid them if i could)