Please help!

minfh18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten, Gabby, who is about 6 months old now. She was the runt of her litter and all her vaccinations are up-to-date. Just in the past 2 weeks she started to walk funny, almost like she was drunk! And it continues to get a little worse each day. She seems to have no problems with her front legs, just the hind legs are so wobbly and seem weak, but she still has power in them. She really sticks her rear up in the air and walks on the "toes" of her back legs. She doesn't act like she is in any pain and isn't sick in any other way. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly advise you take her to a vet, something is wrong..whether it's neurological or ? I don't know. Please post back after she's examined, I'd love to hear how she's doing and what was found to be going on.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it may be neurological, and that could be caused by any number of things. The only way to know for sure is to take her to the vet, and soon. I hope that everything works out for you and Gabby.

Please keep us updated about the little darling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minfh18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did take her to the vet today and he was pretty much dumbfounded, then decided it could be that she hit her lower back and that was causing some swelling that could be affecting the nerves. He gave her a shot of steroids...but for me it doesn't make sense because if it is just a bad bruise wouldn't there be more of a tender spot that would be irritating to her and wouldnt the swelling go down and the walking gradually get better and not gradually get worse?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there would be a tender spot, but you may or may not know where it is because she may never indicate that one spot hurts worse than any other. I do think that I agree that it would get better rather than worse, at least since you've been having this problem for a couple of weeks, you'd think the bruising would be on the healing end now.

Have the steroids helped any? And did they test for FIP? Has she shown any other signs of illness at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minfh18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was just given the shot about 8 hours ago so nothing really different yet, but no other tests were done. We are going to keep a close eye on her and let them know of any changes. I just have never heard or seen anything like it and was curious if anyone else had.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I lost two kittens to FIP... however, now that I've probably worried you to death.. while their symptoms were similar, I think yours is a little different. Mine completely lost function and control of their bodies, and the most evident things were loss of balance and use of their legs.. and also their bladder and so forth. It also took less than a week for them to develop it full blast and have to be put down because they were in such a state.

So, on that note, I don't think yours has FIP, but it's always good to rule it out. And if she's not getting worse or developing any other symptoms, I don't really think it could be FIP (I just always worry now because I've lost two to it, so I'm always like.. OMG, it's not FIP is it??)..

It might be a pulled muscle, or something of that nature. I honestly don't know. I'm sure the vet probably ruled out all the likely suspects and is now working through the more unlikely suspects.

I suspect if you're going to see a change start to happen, it will be within 24 to 48 hours or so.. those seem like the magical numbers.

She's eating and drinking and pottying normally?

fanbeltcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Gabby spayed?

Two of my rescues have gone into heat this past month (their appointments are in one & two weeks, finally!). They each did some funny stuff with their legs for several days - butt in the air, kneading with her hind feet, crouching with her tail hanging to the side, creeping along and rolling over suddenly. And if was petting them, everything intensified.

Thing is, those only lasted for 5 days, and Gabby has had problems for 2 weeks, so I'd take my suggestion with a large grain of salt.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minfh18

We did take her to the vet today and he was pretty much dumbfounded, then decided it could be that she hit her lower back and that was causing some swelling that could be affecting the nerves. He gave her a shot of steroids...but for me it doesn't make sense because if it is just a bad bruise wouldn't there be more of a tender spot that would be irritating to her and wouldnt the swelling go down and the walking gradually get better and not gradually get worse?
I am glad that you took her to the vet, I hope you start to see some of her feeling better soon.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minfh18

I have a kitten, Gabby, who is about 6 months old now. She was the runt of her litter and all her vaccinations are up-to-date. Just in the past 2 weeks she started to walk funny, almost like she was drunk! And it continues to get a little worse each day. She seems to have no problems with her front legs, just the hind legs are so wobbly and seem weak, but she still has power in them. She really sticks her rear up in the air and walks on the "toes" of her back legs. She doesn't act like she is in any pain and isn't sick in any other way. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?
Hmmm... perhaps the food you're using to feed your kitten makes her drunk? Is that an option?

Anyway I hope you come back and update with some good news from the Vet, I really hope your kitten will be safe

Arie