Male Cats/Female Cats & Affection

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone is trying to convince me that male cats are (generally) more affectionate than female. I've personally found this to be more a character trait specific to each cat, rather than a generalization according to gender. Any thoughts?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been addressed many times in here. Technically each cat is an individual. But i've owned cats since a teenager (25+ years) and with my males (neutered or not) they were much more loving, affectionate, outgoing then any of the females (spayed or not). I bred cornish rexes - all the kits were raised the same way - the males just had more outgoing loving personalities.

That's why I had better luck showing males vs. females

cat_lover_330

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Well, one of my Cousin's had told me that too. But, she had only had one male. Then, a Lady who has had quite a few cats told me that it is an individual thing-I believe the Lady, because she has had so many different cats. Hope I helped!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

This has been addressed many times in here.
Sorry... sometimes I'm bad at finding old threads that might have already answered my question.
Please everyone, carry on!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, IMO, it has nothing to do with sex, it all has to do with personality, the way they were raised, basically environmental factors. You can have a feral male & a feral female & they will both be equally upset around people. Whereas you can have a snuggly, wonderful female & the same in a male. My Damita is the most wonderful cat you'll ever(or never) meet....everyone comments on how she is the most friendly cat in the world. Believe it or not, she was born feral. Environmental factors changed at 3 years & she got to be incredibly friendly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok explain then why my male rexes were more outgoing then the females when they ALL were raised the same way....

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ok explain then why my male rexes were more outgoing then the females when they ALL were raised the same way....
From my experince, it is still all personality. Maybe males are much more likely to have a certain personality than females. You might not even know it, but maybe someone(the momma cat, you, other people) are doing something slightly different. ....shrugs.... My experience is also with moggies, not pedigrees....although I don't think that would matter. I am a firm believer that it is the way they are raised & other environmental factors!

As a side note----It just irks me when people come in to adopt & insist on a certain sex, then insist on taking home a cat who is ill-fitted to them just because that cat is the "right" sex, doesn't mean it's the right cat for them.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

As a side note----It just irks me when people come in to adopt & insist on a certain sex, then insist on taking home a cat who is ill-fitted to them just because that cat is the "right" sex, doesn't mean it's the right cat for them.
Ah, I was going to be that kind of person. I went to the Humane Society looking for two cats who would get along well with each other, preferably female because I've really only been familiar with female cats (and in my twisted world, all cats are female and all dogs are male. How we end up with puppies and kittens I don't know.) But then I ended up falling in love with my little ones, and it's just me and the boys now! Guess I'll need to revise my weird animal world view now...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

Ah, I was going to be that kind of person. I went to the Humane Society looking for two cats who would get along well with each other, preferably female because I've really only been familiar with female cats (and in my twisted world, all cats are female and all dogs are male. How we end up with puppies and kittens I don't know.) But then I ended up falling in love with my little ones, and it's just me and the boys now! Guess I'll need to revise my weird animal world view now...
That's not exactly you. I've have had people stand & argue with me & swear at me because they wanted a sex...when they found that cat it was not a fit for them. We will not adopt out a cat only to have it come back because it isn't a right fit for the family.

You must've been open to the idea of boys, since you brought home two of them!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know just what you mean, P&N! I've also had to overcome that cats are feminine, dogs are masculine mindset.

About the original question: we have three boys and three girls in our family, and for us, it's the girls who are the biggest lovebugs. Even our feral rescue, Abby, has become a snuggler with the two people she's learned to trust!

However, our boys are very loving as well -- it's just got to be on their terms. Kinda like their human counterparts.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO it seems to be more of an individual cat personality more than a gender issue. I have had two males and two females so far. Our current resident male (Luvbug) lives up to his name (He was a semi feral) and our current eldest female (Kuce) is also very affectionate. It seems to be (at this point) equal on the affection scale. Sorry if this doesn't help any.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, if we're talking about cat to people relationships, then it's a very individual thing...not related to sex, just personality.

If we're talking about cat to cat relationships, then I would say that boys are more affectionate and friendly. I have 5 girls and 3 boys. If I brought a strange kitty in here right now, I can almost guarantee that all 5 girls will hiss and growl and NONE of my boys would. My boys always take on the momma role with new babies and are just curious and friendly with new adult cats.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with both is a single female is more personable if an only cat, but also possessive of your attention and or timid, shy with other people. The great thing about cats is how different each one is, always something new!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

From my experince, it is still all personality. Maybe males are much more likely to have a certain personality than females. You might not even know it, but maybe someone(the momma cat, you, other people) are doing something slightly different. ....shrugs.... My experience is also with moggies, not pedigrees....although I don't think that would matter. I am a firm believer that it is the way they are raised & other environmental factors!

i went to humane society set on getting a male cat because i do believe from past experiences that in general male cats are way more affectionate, but i would never had let that be the ONLY deciding factor and i did wind up taking home a female kitten who is very affectionate.... but not as affectionate as if she were a male. im not saying female cats are not affectionate, or that no one female cat can ever be more affectionate than any one male cat. but just as a general rule.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

i did wind up taking home a female kitten who is very affectionate.... but not as affectionate as if she were a male. im not saying female cats are not affectionate, or that no one female cat can ever be more affectionate than any one male cat. but just as a general rule.
I've had and been around some female cats that were very affectionate, almost too much so (they'd glue themselves to your hip if they could). But they always seem to have little quirks. I believe half of the odd attitude that people attribute to torties is just because they're females. Then again, we all have our odd grouchy moods too!

I prefer boy kitties and have found them to have more outgoing personalities, female kitties usually assess the situation a bit first. I've also noticed sister cats or mother to daughter make better bonds then just adding another female to one that's older.

In the end, if you love your kitty it doesn't matter what sex it is.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I know just what you mean, P&N! I've also had to overcome that cats are feminine, dogs are masculine
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've had people look at me really strangely when I've shared this theory. I've had to learn to keep my mouth shut....

Thanks for all your awesome replies.
I find the cat/human and cat/cat relationships to be fascinating.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am totally male biased, probably because in a large cat household, it is much easier to manage a lot of males than females. When females don't get along, they get very spiteful with each other. When males don't get along, they find their own space to reside in.

Because I'm male biased, I always thought they were more lovers than females. But I do have 2 females, 1 of which is my little love bug, equal to the affection that I get from the males. The other female is a love bug for my husband. So I've changed my opinion over the years and attribute it to their individual personalities over their gender.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mother-in law says that male cats bond the female humans more and vise versa. And, actually that is the truth in our house. My 2 male cats are MY babies, and the females are more drawn to my husband. That doesn't mean they won't go to the other, but who they prefer to be around is males w/ me, females w/ my husband. I don't know if this is typical...maybe they are picking up on pheromones or something? (the Males are neutered..we still have to get 2 of the females spayed but they are inside. We're just saving up the money to get them fixed). I think a lot has to do with the personality though.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male cat is much more friendly and loving towards me, my husband, and anyone else than my female cat is. But I've only had 2 cats so I can't really draw any conclusions from that.