He found an assistant

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wawa is my patrol officer. He keeps strange cats out of the property. This morning I saw little Ichi (he is 10 months old and one of the latest 5 rescues) watchful on the balcony and ignoring my calls. When I looked over at the neighbors I distinctly saw a torty stray staring back at Ichi.
Is it possible that an alpha cat can "assign" duties to his underlings?
Wawa does not scold Ichi as he sometimes does the others. As a matter of fact, I've seen him bathe his assistant while telling the others to keep out of his way.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, absolutely! Our grey tabby, Dylan, used to be the watchcat around here, and he took his duties very seriously, patrolling the house throughout the night. But when Clyde came along, Dylan took one look at his black-and-white squad-car coat and decided to assign him to patrol duty. So now Dylan has promoted himself to Chief of Detectives... where his grey flannel suit is the perfect plainclothes attire.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Wawa is my patrol officer. He keeps strange cats out of the property. This morning I saw little Ichi (he is 10 months old and one of the latest 5 rescues) watchful on the balcony and ignoring my calls. When I looked over at the neighbors I distinctly saw a torty stray staring back at Ichi.
Is it possible that an alpha cat can "assign" duties to his underlings?
Wawa does not scold Ichi as he sometimes does the others. As a matter of fact, I've seen him bathe his assistant while telling the others to keep out of his way.
Absolutely! Have you heard about chickens' pecking order? And I think you will agree, cats are somewhat smarter than chickens!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep I agree, I suppose cats are the mini version of the big cats in the wild and they certainly allocate roles & responsibilities