New Somali kitten

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to share my exciting news! I recently took home my new red male Somali show kitten. Here is a pic of him at 10 weeks old. He is now 4 mths old but I need to get new pics taken and online. His name is Strazkatz Kingston of Fyrcharmr.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh look at that cute little face!

That pic settles it for me - I definitely think that my Ferris has Somali genes in him.
The "eyeliner" around the eyes, the slim snout and large ears with floofies...thanks for posting a pic of your adorable little boy!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous
Nice to see another Somali on here (Mosi is a Somali). Am I right in thinking what you call red is what we call sorrel? Mosi is a red but he's a rich vibrant red - your little lad looks more sorrel, although it's not always easy to tell from pictures, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that sorrel and red were not too different colours in the US like they are over here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THAT's a picture at 10 WEEKS? Man he's gonna be a show stopper with that coat! Gorgeous color too. He should have a great coat when grown. I'd like to see more recent pictures (side body too). Nice large ears.

Are you planning on showing in Premier or Championship? What shows do you have lined up for him?

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is BEAUTIFUL!! For those of you that have this breed, I would love to see more pictures, especially into adult hood. I look forward to seeing Kingston grow!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that RUDDY is the equivalant of your "sorrel" - Red is red. Ruddy is the deeper color with more of a black ticking then the red/brown ticking.

Her kitten is a red.

Here's a picture of the ruddy or sorrel somali:

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/somali.html

Here's the description of coat colors:

RUDDY: ground color burnt-sienna, ticked with various shades of darker brown or black; the extreme outer tip to be the darkest. Tail tipped with black. The underside and inside of legs to be a tint to harmonize with the ground color. Nose leather: tile red. Paw pads: black or dark brown, with black between toes, extending slightly beyond the paws.

RED: ground color rich, warm glowing red, ticked with chocolate-brown, the extreme outer tip to be darkest. Tail tipped with chocolate-brown. The underside and inside of legs to be a tint to harmonize with the ground color. Nose leather: rosy pink. Paw pads: pink, with chocolate-brown between toes, extending slightly beyond the paws.

BLUE: ground color warm beige, ticked with slate blue, the extreme outer tip to be the darkest. Tail tipped with slate blue. The underside and inside of legs to be a tint to harmonize with the ground color. Nose leather: old rose. Paw pads: mauve, with slate blue between toes, extending slightly beyond the paws.

FAWN: ground color warm rose-beige, ticked with light cocoa-brown, the extreme outer tip to be the darkest. Tail tipped with light cocoa-brown. The underside and inside of legs to be a tint to harmonize with the ground color. Nose leather: salmon. Paw Pads: pink with light cocoa-brown between the toes, extending slightly beyond the paws.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous kitten! I absolutely love the fact that the CFA breed standards are open right next to him!!!!

Sorrel = Ruddy,
Cinnamon = Red
Blue = Blue and
Fawn = Fawn

I also believe GCCF or may be it's other registries that have accepted silvers as well.

Since GK started the judging thing - my contribution:

Love the dip - you can see the depth even full frontal
The eyes are lovely
The coat - what else can I say??? Great!
Lovely large ears, balanced to the rest of the head.

I only have one comment - his muzzle tho lovely, looks a little pinched - it may have filled out by now. He needs a little bit of jowls to carry the whole effect off. Can't wait for the updated pics!

Another cat I'd like to own!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember he's kitten, so he should grow into things - his ears are huge at that age. Should be nice and balanced by time he's full grown.

She needs to give us some body/tail/leg shots and a side profile to give a better evaluation.

I don't think I've seen many somalis with that kind of coat. Neutering him will keep the coat too

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GK, the cat has a suffix - Fyrcharmr (Love the name!
) ...most likely to be da man of da house hmmmm??? Most neuters (premiers) I know don't carry suffixes!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ALL my cats had my cattery - whether neutered or breeding. I didn't put my cattery on Charlie only cause I am not gonna be showing him a lot. Besides, its been so long that I've used it, I'm not sure of the number. And I think CFA has my old name (before I remarried) on their records

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the nice comments. Here is a pic of Kingston at his first show. I was told he is more of the extreme type with larger ears and longer face. I was also told by a few Somali breeders they think he is capable of a regional win as an adult. I am showing him in CFA's premiership. Also he has lost his kitten coat and is starting to get his ticking in.

Here is a pic of my ruddy girl PR Cedarwood KV Veeshan of Fyrcharmr. We are working on her grand and she currently has 41 points. Her biggest fault is the shape of her head. It is to round and the standard calls for a rounded wedge.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby to have lost his coat so!!!
I still think his muzzle is a bit pinched but I believe he will definitely grow into his head and ears!
And frankly, I personally prefer the extreme type to the more rounded versions especially in Somalis.

KV Veeshan is a beauty. Gorgeous coat and ticking!
Only 34 points to go!!!
When is her next show?

Thank you for your somalis
I love them! Of course being an Aby breeder has a lot to do with it!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you Aby. He does have an extreme face, but it will soften a bit as he gets older and his ears will be more in proportion too.

Hopefully by being neutered he will grow a nice adult coat with a nice ruff. Since she's in Michigan I probably won't have to worry about competing against her right now
Then again, it would be cool to meet some of the TCS people at shows. Charlie will give him a run for his money......

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've sussed out the colours. What you call red we call sorrel - our red is what you would call orange but I don't think you have that? Pale red (orange) ticked with darker red/orange. Your ruddy is called usual over here (with GCCF, it's ruddy with TICA). The GCCF has 8 standard colours:

usual
sorrel
chocolate
blue
lilac
fawn
red
cream

We also have torties and silvers.

Mosi is an orange somali.

I look forward to following the progress of your boy, kitytize. I just love somalis - to me they are the perfect cat in both temperament and looks. Mosi is pet quality although he comes from good lines. His head isn't quite right (esp in profile) but he does have a wonderful coat. I did consider showing him as he's not totally unshowable and I thought it might give me some experience but he doesn't have the temperament (far too lively to be confined to a pen all day) which is fine as I didn't buy him as a show cat. My next cat will be a somali neuter to show and I hope to breed them when I have more space (and time). Good luck with your boy.