My parent's house got broken into....

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well to start, my mom had shoulder surgery in december and has been home for 2 months without ever leaving. She went back into the hospital last week sometime and she called me yesterday to tell me that their house was broken into. A family friend has been taking care of Bindi since mom has been in the hospital and went over to feed and play with her and found that the patio door in the basement was shattered. She called the cops immediately. They got fingerprints and footprints. The robbers started rumaging through mom and dad's things. Just opened a closet and two drawers so they didn't get very far. Dad said there were a few footprints in one of the bedrooms right by the windows, like they had heard Diane pull in the driveway. I believe they just started going through things when they heard her pull in. They took nothing. These people HAD to have been watching my parents since they knew mom had been home the past 2 months and was not home now. They HAD to have been watching. The landlord came over and put HUGE plywood on the patio door and it will be replaced tomorrow. Could you please place my family in your thoughts and prayers and hope that they do not come back, even though they had a chance to see my parents had computers, tvs and cameras and expensive things? Dad is hiding most of what he can so if they do come back it won't be as easy. He also is going to dust off some of my grandpa's old hand guns and hide them. I am scared for my dad since he is there alone. Trav and I are going over there tonight until he gets home from visiting my mom in the hospital and my sister is stopping over today to walk around the house and make sure everything is okay and she will be there when the new patio is delivered tomorrow. The cops and Diane are both watching the house right now too. Please just keep my parents in your prayers.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Well to start, my mom had shoulder surgery in december and has been home for 2 months without ever leaving. She went back into the hospital last week sometime and she called me yesterday to tell me that their house was broken into. A family friend has been taking care of Bindi since mom has been in the hospital and went over to feed and play with her and found that the patio door in the basement was shattered. She called the cops immediately. The robbers started rumaging through mom and dad's things. Just opened a closet and two drawers so they didn't get very far. Dad said there were a few footprints in one of the bedrooms right by the windows, like they had heard Diane pull in the driveway. I believe they just started going through things when they heard her pull in. They took nothing. These people HAD to have been watching my parents since they knew mom had been home the past 2 months and was not home now. They HAD to have been watching. The landlord came over and put HUGE plywood on the patio door and it will be replaced tomorrow. Could you please place my family in your thoughts and prayers and hope that they do not come back, even though they had a chance to see my parents had computers, tvs and cameras and expensive things? Dad is hiding most of what he can so if they do come back it won't be as easy. He also is going to dust off some of my grandpa's old hand guns and hide them. I am scared for my dad since he is there alone. Trav and I are going over there tonight until he gets home from visiting my mom in the hospital and my sister is stopping over today to walk around the house and make sure everything is okay and she will be there when the new patio is delivered tomorrow. Please just keep my parents in your prayers.
Yes-for sure~~~You can have prayers!! Please keep up posted on what happens.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is so scarey! I am so sorry that it happened to your parents.
I am glad that they didn't take anything and I hope that they don't come back. Chances are they probably won't because they will be more paranoid about getting caught.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calming vibes for your parents, as I know how it feels - you are so so angry and feel violated. I do hope they get over this and that maybe the people are caught - though I know there is little chance of that.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is awful...I too will keep your family in my good thoughts. Believe me, I know how this feels. I was broken into when I lived on my own with my young son in an apartment...it was awful. We happened to be there at the time...fast asleep. It was awful.

I hope they never come back...y'all take care.

Hilda >^..^<

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuff like that makes me SOOO mad!! How dare people think they can come in and just TAKE our stuff!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an invasion of privacy
We were broken into when I was young, and it was horrifying. To know that someone went through all your belongings is such a disconcerting feeling.

That it awful for your parents, I hope they catch who did it.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How awful for your parents. It makes you feel so powerless and invaded. Unfortunately, criminals who B&E rarely get caught as they are in and out of the house very quickly. By the time the cops come it is WAY too late.

Here's a few tips. They should reinforce the door frame of the backdoor with a steel lining (where the deadbolt slides into). If the frame is wood, it is very easy to kick in a door as the deadbolt just smashes through the wood. If there is a window, bars are a good idea. If there is a screen door, keep it locked as it acts as one more obstacle.
Another solution is to install an alarm system. Make sure the landlord puts a really good door back there.
Keep the TV on when not at home.
Put a motion detector light in the back.
If the thief saw stuff worth stealing but didn't have a chance to grab it, they could try to come back.
Suggest to your local police that they patrol in the back (if possible) on their rounds. Talk to your city councillor as it may help to increase awareness and policing in the neighbourhood.

I've been broken into a few years back when my alarm system had a dead battery that I had neglected to replace. It really is unpleasant.
I wrote to my councillor about it, and I've noticed that the police patrol my back alley (on horseback!) more frequently.

To me this break in sounds like an addict looking for some loot to steal and sell. Pro burglars don't usually smash down doors as it makes too much noise.

How did Bindi survive the ordeal?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a horrible feeling to be violated like that it takes a while to get over it, We were robbed when I was in high school, and I never forgot that feeling...Prayers and vibes for your parents.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry! My apartment was broken into many years ago, and it was a horrible feeling. On top of all they've been growing through....

Prayers and vibes going out to your parents!

Laurie

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! That is so awful, to be violated like that! Your family are in my thoughts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fred&Nermal

How awful for your parents. It makes you feel so powerless and invaded. Unfortunately, criminals who B&E rarely get caught as they are in and out of the house very quickly. By the time the cops come it is WAY too late.

Here's a few tips. They should reinforce the door frame of the backdoor with a steel lining (where the deadbolt slides into). If the frame is wood, it is very easy to kick in a door as the deadbolt just smashes through the wood. If there is a window, bars are a good idea. If there is a screen door, keep it locked as it acts as one more obstacle.
Another solution is to install an alarm system. Make sure the landlord puts a really good door back there.
Keep the TV on when not at home.
Put a motion detector light in the back.
If the thief saw stuff worth stealing but didn't have a chance to grab it, they could try to come back.
Suggest to your local police that they patrol in the back (if possible) on their rounds. Talk to your city councillor as it may help to increase awareness and policing in the neighbourhood.

I've been broken into a few years back when my alarm system had a dead battery that I had neglected to replace. It really is unpleasant.
I wrote to my councillor about it, and I've noticed that the police patrol my back alley (on horseback!) more frequently.

To me this break in sounds like an addict looking for some loot to steal and sell. Pro burglars don't usually smash down doors as it makes too much noise.

How did Bindi survive the ordeal?
My parents left on a radio and two lights in the house(one in the living room and one in the bedroom).

Sad thing is that my mom has an incredible amount of painkillers in one of the cupboards and the patch she has for her arm is a high dose. It had to have been someone that knew she had them. None of my friends live around there and wouldn't even know that and wouldn't even DO that. Someone was watching them to know mom wasn't home......it scares me to death....

We got broken into when I was 6 too and they took EVERYTHING, including breaking into a lockbox hidden in my parent's closet. It is so sad that people sink to this level.

I think the reason Diane went and followed Bindi downstairs was that it was as if Bindi knew something wasn't right and had to let someone know. I know cats are smart like that and she's only 8 months old......

OH! And mom and dad live kinda in the boonies so it isn't possible for cops to drive in back but that is a good idea!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you mom and dad.

I forgot to add the hugs and now I can't.