brushing fur??? HOW???

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HIII!!!
Uno - American short hair LOVES getting brushed
while Pillo- Himalayan HATES it.
Pillo is not used to getting brushed because she always runs away. i find it hard because when i brush it pulls her head back which she doesnt like and she runs away.
is there any way i can get her to stay other than giving her treats?
how hard do i have to brush?

THANKYOU TO ALL ADVICE
*muah

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try starting at the ends and working your way down to the undercoat(brush the tips of her fur, then the next stroke a little further down into the coat, etc.). You may need to find a brush with less bristles so it has less "grab" to get her used to being brushed. I have 2 brushes for my LH cat- one to brush with, one for her to chew and beat up
. Treats during grooming time aren't a bad idea- makes her associate the brushing with something she likes
. Good luck.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Using a brush on your himalayan won't get all that undercoat out, it will only get the top of the hair. The undercoat is what will cause matts. It would be better if you tried a metal comb with teeth that are at least an inch long. There are several different kinds of combs with different spacing between the teeth. Here is a link to a couple different combs you can order on-line:
https://secure.highspeedweb.net/~ldcpet/aa-class2.htm

If she is not used to being combed or brushed, start combing for just short periods of time. The combs won't pull her coat quite as bad and they will reach all the way through her coat to get that undercoat out. She will come to learn that it's not so bad - she will get extra one-on-one time with you, and a treat when you're done won't hurt.

Good luck with your grooming. You will both feel better!
Lynda Peace
LynsGems Persians

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LynsGems

Using a brush on your himalayan won't get all that undercoat out, it will only get the top of the hair. The undercoat is what will cause matts.
It would be better if you tried a metal comb with teeth
that are at least an inch long. There are several different kinds of combs with different spacing between the teeth. Here is a link to a couple different combs you can order on-line:
https://secure.highspeedweb.net/~ldcpet/aa-class2.htm

If she is not used to being combed or brushed, start combing for just short periods of time. The combs won't pull her coat quite as bad and they will reach all the way through her coat to get that undercoat out. She will come to learn that it's not so bad - she will get extra one-on-one time with you, and a treat when you're done won't hurt.

Good luck with your grooming. You will both feel better!
Lynda Peace
LynsGems Persians
Yes, use a metal comb on your Himmy like the one pictured below that Persi is waiting by to be groomed. The litter box is in the laundry room with the scratching post. When Persi sees me cleaning the litter box in the morning he knows that the next thing to happen will be his daily grooming, so he jumps up onto the dryer while I am finishing the litter box and fiddles around with the comb until I come give him a most vigorous brushing. I really comb him hard but he does not complain and as a result there is no hair around the house and he has never had a fur ball. Basically, I never brush my other cat, Alley. Once a week is fine for her but Persi must be combed every day with no exception. And he loves it because he knows he is going to get a special treat at the end of the grooming session. I have shown this picture to many people on this site and they have all told me this is the correct comb to be using on your Himalayan.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! The comb is the tool to have! And I have that excact one (above). Actually, I've gone through several of them over the last few years! I also have a shedding comb but the one above is the one I use the most. As suggested, starting at the ends and working your way in is the best and will cause less pulling. Start with short grooming sessions (a minute or however much is tolerated.) And build them up from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thankyou guys for your replys!
yes i do have a brush with metal bristles. it looks something like the one in Persi's photo, but my bristles are much more frequent.

Do cats hate being brushed an their side legs?

Even Uno doesnt like being brushed on his side?
Pillo still keeps on running away.

Do you guys hold your cat when you brush them?
Does you cat just sit their to get brushed or do you have to push them down?

treats wont work on Pillo because she wont eat anything when im doing something she doesnt like.

Thankyou guys!! : D

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by appleseed_1

yes i do have a brush with metal bristles. it looks something like the one in Persi's photo, but my bristles are much more frequent.

treats wont work on Pillo because she wont eat anything when im doing something she doesnt like.

I always use a firm hand in holding Persi where I want him. The side legs you mention is an example, the top part of the rear legs I remove a lot of fur so I hold him down while brushing that area as he gets a little concerned when I am in that area. Also, I hold him straight up vertically when I am doing his tummy beause he does not just roll over on his back and tell me to proceed. You may have noticed in the picture the bottle of Pounce. I keep that within his sight during all of the grooming to keep it fresh in his mind that that is what he is going to get when done. It seems to keep things in perspective. If your cat does not like treats, then I guess that would not work with him.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by appleseed_1

Forgive me if we're just using different terms for the same thing but the tool in Persi's picture is a comb, not a brush.
Those of us with long haired cats have found that a comb works much better then brushing. And it's much easier to get to places like the back of legs, behind ears etc. I do also at times, use a brush when I'm finished just to fluff my kitties up. But the main grooming tool at my house is the comb! Don't know what I'd do without it!

I get on the floor with my cats and lay them down on it in front of me. I place my hand on their back just about at the shoulders and comb them by using gentle, short strokes starting at the ends (or tips) and working my way in toward the skin. Sometimes one of them will lay on me while I'm watching a movie or something. I also take advantage of this because they are relaxed! And sometimes I will try combing them for a little while. I can get a lot done this way!