Does anyone else here keep Discus?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who else is in love with the "Kings of the Freshwater Aquarium"?

I fell in love with these buggers a while back and spent ages making sure that my tank setup was perfect for them before buying the only three that I could find in my area! Two of them are just what breeders call "brown mutts" and the other is a beautiful blue discus. I don't care if the brown ones are mutts, they are very pretty! They are all just babies right now, 2.5 inches, but are growing like crazy! I'm ordering a pair next week (since no one seems to carry them here) and I can't decide which ones to order.

These:

or these:

I'm really leaning toward the Tangerine colored ones, but dh likes the others better.

So, tell me about your discus (if you have em) or just put in your two cents on which of the pairs you like best!

ETA: The pair that I am ordering will be the same size as the ones we already have, the pictures depict what they will look like grown.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love discus, years ago I raised 4 pigeon bloods from half dollar size to an impressive 7 inch diameter.
I had one true pair and they did breed, but three days after the eggs were laid they ate them.
I lost them one winter to a prolonged power outage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I love discus, years ago I raised 4 pigeon bloods from half dollar size to an impressive 7 inch diameter.
I had one true pair and they did breed, but three days after the eggs were laid they ate them.
I lost them one winter to a prolonged power outage.
That is very sad! I'm so sorry. Thats one of my biggest fears. We're saving up for a small generator that could run the tank if necessary. I've read that discus that are new to breeding will often eat their eggs but after a couple of tries they usually get the hang of it. I can't wait till ours are grown, they are just awesome!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow they are amazing.......we'd like to keep fish but as you already mentioned it pretty darn hard, and of course, must be so terrible when you loose them

I like them both really...........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I got the answer TWO tanks
Oh I wish!! Until we move into a bigger house in a couple of years, I won't have room for another though!

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My hubby keeps fish, and here are some pics I took a while back. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know that they also ate their babies, even when they were placed in a special tank all alone to have more they ate them.