Feeding Pumpkin

shana120

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will not eat any of the traditional hairball treatments. If we put it on his paw he will flick his paw which only sends the Laxatone or Petromalt flying onto the floor or walls. We have tried puting some under his nose - on his upper lip. Again, he will not lick if off of there. We have tried putting the remedy on the roof of his mouth but that too has not been very successful. After reading here that canned pumpkin can be given to the cat for hairballs, I have had success with mixing some into his food. My question is how much should I give him and how often? He is an American Shorthair with a very dense coat. We brush him regularly with the Furminator but he still has an occasional problem with a hairball which we would like to eliminate. Thanks

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't remember seeing pumpkin being suggested for hairballs. I thought it was for firming up diarrhea and/or softening hard stool.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can work for hairballs by moving them out the other end...

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The usual dosage when trying to regulate bowel movements is about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mixed into each canned food meal. You'll normally see results in about 1-2 days for common constipation or diarrhea. You'll have to experiment with how often you need to give pumpkin to your kitty to get the desired result.

Another hairball remedy to try is Vetbasis. I like it much better than Petromalt, Laxatone, etc., because it's not petroleum based. It also contains beneficial ingredients like Vitamin E and Taurine. It's chicken flavored.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

The usual dosage when trying to regulate bowel movements is about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mixed into each canned food meal. You'll normally see results in about 1-2 days for common constipation or diarrhea. You'll have to experiment with how often you need to give pumpkin to your kitty to get the desired result.

Another hairball remedy to try is Vetbasis. I like it much better than Petromalt, Laxatone, etc., because it's not petroleum based. It also contains beneficial ingredients like Vitamin E and Taurine.
Vet basis is what I use with My oldest and it works