Superstitions

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after Miss Moofs has broken my mirror, I was thinking about superstitions....and different ones across the world, heres some of mine which are fairly common

I wont walk under a ladder
bad luck
I always tell DH off for putting new shoes on a table - bad luck

My SIL always puts coins into new purses or wallets if they are gifts - for wealth

My nieces friend says its bad luck to talk when walking over a bridge

In Spain if the 13th falls on a Tuesday, then thats a bad luck day

think I need some more good luck or positive ones

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have or beleive in superstitions. There are many North American ones, but I don't pay attention, I think they are kinda silly

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

So after Miss Moofs has broken my mirror, I was thinking about superstitions....and different ones across the world, heres some of mine which are fairly common

I wont walk under a ladder
bad luck
I always tell DH off for putting new shoes on a table - bad luck

My SIL always puts coins into new purses or wallets if they are gifts - for wealth

My nieces friend says its bad luck to talk when walking over a bridge

In Spain if the 13th falls on a Tuesday, then thats a bad luck day

think I need some more good luck or positive ones
The only one of them I have ever heard of is the one walking under a ladder.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I "knock on wood." I'm not sure why, maybe it's habit? Don't believe in superstitions.

We open umbrellas in the house all the time so they can dry out but it freaks some of my friends. We're a pretty lucky family, so I don't think it brings us bad luck... KNOCK ON WOOD!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one I will do is rub my palm/wrist on my hip. If it itches and you do this, then you're suppose to get money.

Maybe its coincidence or I trained myself, but whenever it does it now is the day I get paid.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the one that says if a Black Cat crosses your path you'll have bad luck. I think it's funny becuase I have an all black cat and he's crossed my path more times that I can count, and still no bad luck.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I find a penny on the street or something and it is a heads up penny, I will pick it up and I will say, "Find a penny, pick it up, all the day, you will have good luck".

If it is not a heads up penny I will leave it lay.

And I NEVER open up an umbrella in the house.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

If I find a penny on the street or something and it is a heads up penny, I will pick it up and I will say, "Find a penny, pick it up, all the day, you will have good luck".
I've also heard that rhyme extended, thus: "Pass your penny to a friend, and your luck will never end". Needless to say, when I pick up a penny, I pass it on.

I'm not a superstitious person, actually, but have heard many of them all my life, and out of habit do whatever it is I'm "supposed" to do. For instance...

I've heard the itchy palm one, but with a difference: left palm, the money is incoming, right palm, outgoing, and you must scratch it on wood.

And if you spill salt, you must pick up a few grains with your right hand and toss them over your left shoulder, else you will have bad luck.

Lots of others that just aren't coming to mind. They're harmless, as long as they aren't taken too seriously.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this one is kinda morbide...but
we have this saying that death comes in 3's
and then I had a friend in grade school who would hold her breath when crossing a cemetary cause she said the spirits of those burried there will try to enter you through your breath.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if cutlery falls on the floor while youre eating... A fork means a woman is going to knock on your door, a knife a man will knock on your door, and a spoon is unknown!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

That's what my mother does, but not coins - dollar bills. And I think I do too, if I remember, when I give a wallet.

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I've heard the itchy palm one, but with a difference: left palm, the money is incoming, right palm, outgoing, and you must scratch it on wood.
I always heard that if your palms itches, it's something to do with money so close your palm. I dunno though...

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
these are some i have heard of
-if you drop a knife on the floor then dont pick it up or you will have bad luck someone else is ment to pick it up for you
my mum swaers by this , if she drops one she will wait untill someone comes around even if its the next day lol
walking under a ladder . now the reason i dont do this is for saftey reasons lol
if you step on a crack you will break your mothers back.
bad luck comes in 3s
itchy nose means a suprise.
and with the mirror thing if it breaks your not ment to clear it up for 7 hours . so iv heard.
magpies is the only one i listen to lol
1 for sorrow
2 for joy
3 for a boy
4 for a girl
5 for silver
6 for gold
7 for a secret never to be told. i dont know the rest lol the most i have seen is 4 when i was pregnant with my second daughter.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The strangest superstition I ever heard of was from a friend. On the first day of the month, the first word she'd say for the day to someone was "rabbit". She swore that brought luck.

I'm not superstitious, but I do find myself throwing salt over my shoulder if I spill it while I'm cooking

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

1 for sorrow
2 for joy
3 for a boy
4 for a girl
5 for silver
6 for gold
7 for a secret never to be told.
Hey, I remember that from a Counting Crows song...

Well, being Latina, we have lots & lots of 'em but I don't believe them...they're sorta silly. Hmmm, for some reason I can't think of any other than one my mom says all the time...and funny, but it has to do with cats.!!!

She says if a cat (your cat I guess) is washing itself by your front door, you're sure to have a visitor that day!

I dunno if that's ever happened here...as I said, I don't pay much attention to them.

Hilda >^..^<

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that if a black cat crosses your path, it's considered bad luck, but I love black cats almost as much as I love Tabbys so for me to see a black cat I consider it good luck. The walking under the ladder thing is just common saftey.
Now the Friday the 13th thing I believe because nothing good happens to me on that day.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I was born on the 13th (October) and it has been on a Friday several times in my lifetime...but nothing bad has ever happened that I can recall.

Hilda >^..^<