Frickin car again!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright yes, my car is old..BUT that doesn't give it an excuse to not go faster than 20km per hour!!

I was at a stop sign, I am starting to go, and I am pressing on the gas, and it won't even go faster than :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: 20!! What the heck??!! So everyone is passing me, and I am all
in my car..

I get to the next stop sign, and when I start going again, its perfectly normal

My car doesn't like this wet melty weather..it never has. Generally in this weather, I can't signal because it shorts out my ignition and shuts my car off

I think its funny..but dang, this going 20 thing is not good

Lets hope its back to normal on the way home, I don't want to have to car shop yet

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's weird. It may be having issues with shifting.

I remember the first car I had I had I just left the service station having my oil changed. As I turned the corner and began excelerating it wouldn't go...then there was a grinding noise and the car shot off!

Obviously I took it back to the service station (really it was just a 10 minute oil change place) yelled at them to fix it, they said they had nothing to do with it

But they gave me a name of some guy to take it too, so I did and he did the job for free. It was a quick fix too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Wow that's weird. It may be having issues with shifting.

I remember the first car I had I had I just left the service station having my oil changed. As I turned the corner and began excelerating it wouldn't go...then there was a grinding noise and the car shot off!

Obviously I took it back to the service station (really it was just a 10 minute oil change place) yelled at them to fix it, they said they had nothing to do with it

But they gave me a name of some guy to take it too, so I did and he did the job for free. It was a quick fix too.
Do you remember what was wrong with it? What it was called?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not good with cars. I just take it to the fix-it place & have them fix it.
I really hope yours works "normal" soon!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
umm you aint left the handbrake on
only messing - but I have done that before today and wondered why the heck the darn thing was slower than a snail

not sure what sort of vibes to send to a naughty car
- dont think we have a boot smilie to give it a good old kick to get it going

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Nat! That is funny but it ain't! Hopefully it works itself out and you can go fast again! Vrrooom!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you ever been in Israel lol? when you drive there and you stop at a traffic light it goes like

1) Red
2)Yellow
3) .........

Nobody starts to drive there at the Green light, the yellow light there is just the same as the green one lol, and if you don't start to drive for 2 seconds after the "yellow" one there will be a earthquake

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
speaking as someone who recently had tranny problems, sounds like your tranny is gearing up to not gear up
hope that's not it as tranny's are very expensive.... doesn't it seem weird that you're having a problem so shortly after having it in the shop? I'm always so suspicious of garages, i feel like they take advantage of people, especially women

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Do you remember what was wrong with it? What it was called?
It was something with the gear shift. Basically the shift in the engine (I had an automatic) between 1st and 2nd was sticking. So basically the guy explained to me that the engine would was skipping 2nd gear.

He poured hot oil (I remember the smoke coming up) on the gear shift and that took care of the problem. I didn't have any more issues related to that for the rest of the time I owned it

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened to me once, too, years ago. I don't remember exactly what was wrong, I think a gear was slipping, like lunasmom said. It was an easy fix, also.

I'd ask around for mechanic recommendations. You'll hear about a lot of places NOT to go to, which is also helpful. Good luck!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, imagine me driving 20kms all around town with my hazards on?
How embarassing

Well I just had an oil change 2 days ago, and it did start acting funny after that..I go to the dealership for those. My normal mechanic wouldn't screw me..He is a 50 year old man that is like an uncle to me.

I really think its just the weather..my car is notorious for hating the mucky spring weather.

We'll see if it continues tonight and tomorrow morning, and if so, I will be calling my mechanic..I am just scared to call him because last time he worked on it, he said I should get another car because mine is starting to go
I don't want to get another one.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...if he says that you might have to then. See if he has any that he's fixing up. Maybe he can give you a deal.

Cars are tempormental to weather. My car has a hard time starting in the cold. It seems that once the temp goes below 20 that's when my car decides to say "But I don't want to go anywhere mom!"

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh.

It sounds as if it could be the transmission (ick).

We had a car that needed transmission work. We had to get a rebuilt transmission. It was NOT cheap, and to this day I don't think the shop we took it do did a good job on it.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're having car troubles. I hate to be the wet blanket here- but cars do get old and wear out, just like people.
As an old person I can state this from personal experience. If I were in your position I think I'd be looking for another car. Maybe your longtime mechanic can help you find something affordable and reliable. Good luck.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

Uh-oh.

It sounds as if it could be the transmission (ick).

We had a car that needed transmission work. We had to get a rebuilt transmission. It was NOT cheap, and to this day I don't think the shop we took it do did a good job on it.
Well if it was the transmission, I would get another car. My car isn't even worth $1000, so I won't be spending any money on it.

Originally Posted by Jean44

Sorry you're having car troubles. I hate to be the wet blanket here- but cars do get old and wear out, just like people.
As an old person I can state this from personal experience. If I were in your position I think I'd be looking for another car. Maybe your longtime mechanic can help you find something affordable and reliable. Good luck.
Yeah, I know I will have to get another car soon, but I was trying to put it off..I hate having to get a loan
And I would be stretched very thin with my budget.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it there isn't any other reliable transportation like the bus or something while you stuff away some money?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I take it there isn't any other reliable transportation like the bus or something while you stuff away some money?
Nah, I wouldn't take the bus. I would rather have 3 jobs and a car then not have my freedom.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame you...the busses are quite scary (to me) around here. I only took them in college because they weren't scary.