Pretty sure pregnant and just one kitten.

words2inspire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,

I have a one year old adopted cat that mistakenly got outdside a few days after we got her (on Dec. 27th) and I am pretty sure she's pregnant. Nipples are pink and she's had one lump in the lower left side of her belly that has gotten larger. She also went through a few days of occassional throwing up about a month ago, and she's began to eat a lot! Today is day 58, so we're getting close here.

My only concern is that she really isn't very big. When you look at her, she doesn't appear pregnant. She does have long hair and her belly is starting to sag a little on the underside... it's only when she's on her back that the lower tummy becomes more obvious. I'm thinking she's just going to have a really small litter, maybe just one even... but i keep second guessing myself wondering if she's even pregnant.. or if i'm feeling organs that are growing (which are actually somewhat hardish at this point). I can't afford to take her to a vet to get all of the testing done.. so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with small litters and the size of the pregnant cat's belly at term.

I appreciate anyone's insight.

Kind Regards,
Words...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi words and welcome to TCS!!!

It does sound like a small litter. Have you taken her to the vet for a checkup yet? It really is important that you do so since you are sure that it's day 58 - you have more or less a week to go. I'm sure Katie will come along with the links to low cost clinics around your area soon!

At the same time, I would advise that you get her nesting box ready, unless she has already picked her site. Just make sure you read all the stickys in the beginning of this forum to get all the great advise there is there!

I would also advise you to spay your baby as soon as is humanly possible.

If you need any help at all, just send me a pm!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by words2inspire

Greetings,

I have a one year old adopted cat that mistakenly got outdside a few days after we got her (on Dec. 27th) and I am pretty sure she's pregnant. Nipples are pink and she's had one lump in the lower left side of her belly that has gotten larger. She also went through a few days of occassional throwing up about a month ago, and she's began to eat a lot! Today is day 58, so we're getting close here.

My only concern is that she really isn't very big. When you look at her, she doesn't appear pregnant. She does have long hair and her belly is starting to sag a little on the underside... it's only when she's on her back that the lower tummy becomes more obvious. I'm thinking she's just going to have a really small litter, maybe just one even... but i keep second guessing myself wondering if she's even pregnant.. or if i'm feeling organs that are growing (which are actually somewhat hardish at this point). I can't afford to take her to a vet to get all of the testing done.. so I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with small litters and the size of the pregnant cat's belly at term.

I appreciate anyone's insight.

Kind Regards,
Words...
Words...has she seen a vet since you adopted her?? It is very important that she at least is seen by a vet to 1. verify that she is pregnant 2. make sure that she has received all the appropriate shots. Certainly there must be a low cost clinic in your area that could assist you with making a determination of pregnancy...if she is that far along, a vet would be able to feel fetuses.

Also..if the organization that you adopted her through requires that you have her spayed within a certain time, you need to contact them and let them know that you suspect that she is pregnant. Otherwise, you may be non-compliant with your adoption contract and that could be problematic.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

words2inspire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings,

Okay... so the whole thing started to really bug me and i went ahead and took her to a vet nearby that had an opening this morning and had a checkup for her.

she is NOT pregnant!

although, i do love kittens...

What i was feeling was a large fecal mass in her lower abdomen. The doctor wasn't too concerned with it and feels that she will pass it over time. I went ahead and got her first set of shots while i was there... cost a pretty penny, and fortunately i had a bit of room on my credit card.. but i feel so much better knowing that she's healthy and ready to get spayed... which i made an appt to do that as well.

Thanks so much for urging me to get her looked at.. i am like her now... at peace with the world.

Kind Regards,
Words....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by words2inspire

Greetings,

Okay... so the whole thing started to really bug me and i went ahead and took her to a vet nearby that had an opening this morning and had a checkup for her.

she is NOT pregnant!

although, i do love kittens...

What i was feeling was a large fecal mass in her lower abdomen. The doctor wasn't too concerned with it and feels that she will pass it over time. I went ahead and got her first set of shots while i was there... cost a pretty penny, and fortunately i had a bit of room on my credit card.. but i feel so much better knowing that she's healthy and ready to get spayed... which i made an appt to do that as well.

Thanks so much for urging me to get her looked at.. i am like her now... at peace with the world.

Kind Regards,
Words....
Hey Words...I am so glad that she is not pregnant. Go ahead and get her spayed. If you love kittens, offer to foster a pregnant cat for a local shelter or rescue group. That way, you help another cat.

Katie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!
Good job. And if you do help foster a pregnant momma (which this is the season, you know...) there are plenty of people here to help. If you ever have questions, you can PM me - I am a Pregnant cat & kitten Buddy, and at your service!