vbplaza option unclear

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ask somebody what time 12 pm is, half the world answers midnight and the other half noon. This is why trains/plains never use this form of time. I work with a bunch of writers and I showed this option to them from vbplaza options:

Do not receive a PM upon receiving a new Gift?:

I showed this to six writers and three said you would mark this YES and three said you would mark it NO if you WANTED to get a PM. The "Do not" wording is the confusion for people. For instance, people say they could care less when they mean they could NOT care less. So, my question here is if I DO want to receive a PM, would I mark this as YES or NO? These are six professional technical writers that I polled so if it is confusing to them I thought it would be to others also. It certainly is to me although I think I know the answer.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

If you mark YES, you are saying yes to NOT receiving a PM
If you mark NO, you are saying no to NOT receiving a PM and so will receive one, makes perfect sense
It makes perfect sense to me also, I interpret it just like you described it, but just like the 12 pm thing being midnight or noon, it is not clear to everybody, in fact almost 1/2 according to Time magazine.
People always say "I COULD CARE LESS", which means they must care to be able to care less! (If they could care less then they must care.) In Spanish it is perfectly fine to say "I don't have nothing" but in English that would mean you DO have something. So, before I answered a reverse negative question, I just wanted to make sure it was intended as I understood it. Not because I doubted the correctness, but because you will find different interpretations of these types of questions. Anyway, you have cleared it up, THANK YOU!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
even tho it makes sense to me, i TOTALLY understand and know what you are talking about persi

eta: but your avatar HURTS my eyes hehe.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
12:00am is 12 midnight. The first hour of a new day. 12:00pm is the first hour of the afternoon. I've never known anyone who thought 12pm was the same as midnight. Military time calls midnight 0 hundred hours, which is early morning. It might not look like morning, but it is. I go to work at 12am. I'm the first shift of the day, and my job.