Time outs?????

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you put your little furbabies in a time out if htey have been bad? Ezamples I am thinking of is biting, hopping onto areas that are out of bounds??? Just wondering what others do, and if it has worked

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not as a punishment, but yes to give them a couple of minutes to calm down if their play has turned too rough due to overexcitement.

For example, Nate is sitting on the sofa with Radar petting him, Radar starts to get in a playful mood then gets overexcited and grabs hold of Nates arm with his mouth (imagine those videos of police dogs being trained) and won't let go - off he goes to the bathroom for a few minutes to cool off.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Ezamples I am thinking of is biting, hopping onto areas that are out of bounds???
If i did that i'd be up and down like a yoyo
Sophie's never really bit me, but Rosie has and that's just when she wants me to stop petting her, so i just leave her be and she's fine after that.

As for hopping onto areas out of bound, no where in my house is like that, i just have a bottle of antibacterial spray handy for after they've jumped down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only place I put out of bounds in my place is the couter tops around the stove, and on the stove. I do not allow them up there for obvious reasons at any time.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes - I did that with Mosi when he was younger and it definitely worked. I've not done it with any other cat but Mosi's brain seems to be wired the right way for it
He definitely seems to relate the time out to the behaviour. It has to be done immediately following the behaviour you don't want and just like with furless kids it shouldn't be overused. I see it as a way of totally withdrawing my attention from him and for Mosi that's punishment! I very calmly pick him up, don't say anything and place him in another room and close the door. I think that like Epona said - it's as much a case of giving him time and space to calm down as it is punishment. After a few minutes I usually go out to a quiet and calm Mosi and if it's at night time he then comes and climbs into bed to give me a cuddle as though he's saying sorry. At one point I did feel I was doing it too often so stopped doing it for a while and he hasn't needed it for sometime now.

I didnt do it for normal kittenish exuberance or going places where he shouldn't, but for things like biting, swiping at my hair/face and being naughty at bedtime when he knows he's being naughty (and he knows I know he knows..
)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No time outs here! My cats can go anywhere, they dont jump on the stove when Im cooking and when I have just finished cooking, I put a cold water filled pan over the stove eye until it cools. Countertops can always be cleaned before you use them and should be because they will be on the counters when you dont know.

I dont believe in "punishment" for cats. I dont think cats will develop into confident secure cats with "punishment" IMO.

Originally Posted by Epona

For example, Nate is sitting on the sofa with Radar petting him, Radar starts to get in a playful mood then gets overexcited and grabs hold of Nates arm with his mouth (imagine those videos of police dogs being trained) and won't let go - off he goes to the bathroom for a few minutes to cool off.
Kiko sometimes will do that, too. I will gently take his back paws with my other hand and hold them together and start talking to him softly and for some reason, he will totally relax and start purring and licking me.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I only do it for fighting and then it is really to calm people down.
my new guys Hades and Poseidon have, uh, differing opinions at times
and when things get a little out of control I wil lput the istigator in the bathroom for a bit to cool down
it really has seemed to work too

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. When Ling and Charlie are into the wrestling matches, I do break it up by clapping my hands or saying "ok cut it out guys". The problem is that Charlie will be 6 months old in a few days and I guess he's in the "challanging" time of teen cat cause he's the one that initiates it most times.

I'm glad he was neutered at 3 months - he'd be h*ll on wheels if a whole male. He's gonna be king of the house soon - one you would not want to challange if a whole male
He's up to 7 lbs. Ling's about 9 lbs. I am glad that he loves people and shows tho.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I dont believe in "punishment" for cats. I dont think cats will develop into confident secure cats with "punishment" IMO.
They don't come much more confident than Mosi! I do think it depends on the cats personality though. I wouldn't do time out with a timid cat but it just seemed like the right thing for Mosi. I don't see it as punishment so much - it's more rewarding good behaviour and ignoring bad. I don't do if for stuff like going on counters etc.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miss Moofs has got a tad mean with Pepsi of late, so she has time out 'outside' well mine are inside/outside kits
She has a good old chase about outside, which runs all the spare energy off, when she comes back in, shes all pooped out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all, I was just wondering what the opinion out there was for it. I just want happy furbabies, and I know that there will be times when they play a bit rougher than others. Was thinking about it, and wanted other's opinion. thanks all.