New Kitten Question

achilles459

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. In a few weeks, I'm going to pick up my new himalayan kittens. One question I have is, can I leave them alone in the house when I am at work, or would it be better if I confine them to a certain room? Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DEFINATELY confine them to a certain room. An entire house, especially right at first can be too overwhelming for a new kitty, young or old. Confine when you are away and let them out when you are home. But keep multiple litterboxes around the house at first. I guarentee you they will either forget where it is or not make it all the way there is the litterbox is in a basement and you feed the cat in the kitchen, or if you just have a big house. How old are the kittens and how many are you getting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

achilles459

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am getting two himalyans, and they are both going to be nine weeks old when I get them. I think that their room is going to be my room, but how would I train them to use the litterbox in a different room if I move it when they get older?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are smart, they will know. It is when they are little that you need to worry.

9 weeks is a bit young to be away from their mother. Where are you getting them from? They shouldn't leave momma until 12 weeks old roughly. They are missing out on a lot of things by leaving to early. The mother teaches them so much, litterbox, socialization skills, manners, cat behaviors, etc. Unless they are orphans of course.

Himalayans are great cats! I have one and my mom has one. Mine was dumped at a car wash and I adopted him at the Humane Society. He is a WONDERFUL cat. Never had a better, well behaved, friendly cat. Please post pictures if you have them! What color Himmies are they?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - where are you getting your kittens from at only 9 weeks of age. All kittens do a lot better staying with siblings/mom till a minimum of 10 weeks old - preferably 12-14 would be that much better.

Are they MF or same sex? Are you planning on getting them spayed/neutered at around 3 months old?

Turning them loose in a big house that is not familiar (and their young age) is only asking for trouble. Confine them to one or 2 rooms (bathroom or bedroom) with a litter pan and food/water dishes for a few weeks and SUPERVISE them at all times when you are home so they can explore the rest in safety.

If you want to move the pan, I'd put a 2nd pan where you eventually want them to go. You might want to put a little of the poop in there and show them. At 9 weeks of age, they can't hold it very long, so be sure its where they can get to it quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

achilles459

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, they were from a breeder, but apparently the mother wouldn't really nurse them and basically rejected them. The breeder didn't have a clue as to how to raise them, so she gave them to the zoo that my fiancee works at, and they are being raised in the nursery. We are going to finnish their hand rearing at home. They are definately going to be spayed (they are both female), and they are going to be indoor only. Oh, and they are flame points.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Achilles459

Well, they were from a breeder, but apparently the mother wouldn't really nurse them and basically rejected them. The breeder didn't have a clue as to how to raise them, so she gave them to the zoo that my fiancee works at, and they are being raised in the nursery. We are going to finnish their hand rearing at home. They are definately going to be spayed (they are both female), and they are going to be indoor only. Oh, and they are flame points.
How exciting...and welcome!! I'm glad you plan to have both spayed...the earlier the better because it only takes a gander at the pregnancy board to see that females do get out (accidentally) and do become pregnant. I hope the breeder is planning to have the mom spayed.

Katie

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think everyone is in agreement that they should be confined, and I agree wholeheartedly!

I mostly chimed in to say, You lucky ducks! A pair of flame point Himmy cuteness? Man! We need pictures!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sorry everyone but i dont think its necessary to confine them if they already know how to use a litter box, and i also think that one litter box is plenty. i adopted kya from a shelter at around 9-10 weeks of age and she was fine. if they dont already use a litter box they will almost certainly catch on right away, but in that case confining them confining them until they use it couldnt hurt.

eta: wait, i dont know how many kittens you are getting so i dont know if one litter box is plenty or not. but you dont need them all over the house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Confining them is for their safety when you are not there to supervise - not just to use the litter pan right.

A new house is pretty overwhelming to a very young kitten - they don't know where everything is and could get hurt or stuck somewhere. Better to confine them if you are not home and let them out to explore when you are