Raw Eggs

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was told by a friend that it was good to give cats raw eggs occassionally and it would help with skin and shiny coats. However, I read somewhere that it is bad to give eggs to dogs and cats because it blocks vitamin B which will cause more shedding. I'm aiming for less shedding and healthier skin and coats. I'm skeptical about both of the aforementioned sources and wanted to check with you all. Any info would be fabu.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what are you feeding wet and dry??

you can give egg yolks but I caution using raw yolk... thou i have used them for years there are risks ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm currently feeding wet and dry. For dry I tried Nature's Choice kitten and Eukanuba kitten. For wet I tried some Iams turkey&gravy kitten and Science diet ocean fish and science diet liver and chicken kitten. I have some of the dry blue buffalo spa for kittens but I didn't want to open it until I've gone through the other stuff. They've eaten everything I've put in front of them so far. I would like to switch to the healthiest diet I can afford, but i don't even cook for myself much I mostly eat out so I can't see myself making the raw food for them.

I did try giving them a raw egg a couple weeks ago and they loved it! If it is in fact good for their coats and helps reduce shedding, I'd like to give it to them...but how often is too often?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural choice is the best of the one listed for skin and coat ... the wets listed are not quality in my book... try looking for ones the have nothing called by product on the label, if corn is present it is like 6th or later ....

EGG WHITE cause the biotin issue....

If you are still haveing trouble after changing the wet foods try adding some salmon oil to the wet food

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a couple years ago I owned a brazillian opossum. I used to give him infant feeder mice from small pet stores as treats...he loved them. Might they be good kitty treats too?....alive?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMMM NO I wouldnt suggest useing mass produced rats as cat food

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tekgrl

a couple years ago I owned a brazillian opossum. I used to give him infant feeder mice from small pet stores as treats...he loved them. Might they be good kitty treats too?....alive?
Even if you could get them from a quality source or breed them yourself, I think it might be a little unfair to feed live mice and rats.
Cats play with their food.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Even if you could get them from a quality source or breed them yourself, I think it might be a little unfair to feed live mice and rats.
Cats play with their food.
I would worry about "the one that got away"

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all love eggs, cooked or raw, But I only give them raw yolks - the raw whites are bad for cats and do cause problems. They get two yolks a week each, mixed up with a little goat milk. And for a cat that is sick, this is a wonderful nutritious tonic.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I would worry about "the one that got away"
No kidding!

Given the chance at a live mouse... my Sho can't catch them, not even in a small room with help.

Were I ever to breed mice for any reptiles I would probably share a few among the kitties, but only after mice were humanely euthanized.

I've offered egg to Sho, he won't touch them if they're raw. Too picky. He does however like a bite of hard boiled egg.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well the feeder mice I used were infant with no fur and eyes were not open. I felt really bad for the baby mouse but my oppossum loved it. I put the mouse in the cage and left them alone for 5 minutes and when I came back there was no trace of the feeder mouse.