cat sleeping on my head

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is it normal for cats to sleep on people's heads while they are sleeping? I have 2 cats and one always has to sleep either on or near my head at night. Anything I can do to stop this very annoying behavior as I love my sleep?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? I have found that kittens often go through a phase like this, but they usually outgrow it. But some don't.

If you have room, you might try putting a shirt on the bed, near your pillow. I put a used (worn) one there, and my head sleepers often like to curl up on that. I imagine my scent on the shirt is what they like
...but it has worked for me.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fostered a 2 year old cat, Gabby, for several months this summer, and she slept on my head constantly. I could not break her of it no matter what I tried, although I didn't think of the scent/t-shirt option.

Also - if your cat has a sleeping bed or blanket, maybe put that on the bed in a more suitable location. This did work with Gabby at times, it just didn't cure the problem.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with one of my kitten. She would constantly sleep curled up to my face and neck area. It's annoying so I would just cuddle her in my arms to sleep. I haven't been able to change her habit yet. I think she is probably just seeking for warmth cause sometimes she will sleep under the blanket with me meanwhile my other one has enough blubber to keep himself warm.

shrekfx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
our male cat use to do that when he was a kitten. we got him kinda young so i think its kinda like he feels safer that way,at first it was annoying and he'll do it once in awhile, but kinda miss it now..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shrekfx

our male cat use to do that when he was a kitten. we got him kinda young so i think its kinda like he feels safer that way,at first it was annoying and he'll do it once in awhile, but kinda miss it now..
They grow up so fast, don't they?

Sho still tries to snuggle sometimes, yesterday morning I awoke to kitty butt (big 15lb+ kitty butt) sitting on my shoulder.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou has started doing this lately. Before he settles down under my arm, he lays on my pillow (more like on my face) for a few minutes. If I don't pet him he'll start licking my eyelids, cheeks, forehead, whatever he can reach without moving too much.
I've learned that I can actually breathe through cat hair.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic has tried to sleep on my head, but usually he curls up right in front of my nose and mouth. The funniest thing is that my breathing causes his ear reflex to twitch so I'm lying there with his huge oriental ear going flap-flap-flap-flap-flap on my cheek every time I breathe out

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Megabyte sleeps on my head too and steals my pillow. It can be annoying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it seems like this is kinda normal. Sly is around a year if not less. We've had him since Nov. from a shelter. We put his bed in our bedroom and that didnt work. I'll try the shirt idea. It's kinda gross I worked out last night and was too tired to sleep and he even slept on my smelly worked out head! They are so weird. Thanks for the input!

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens does that as well. We rescued her right before Christmas (wandering outside) and we used our bedroom as her safe room, so she was with me and the DH all night every night, but she doesn't actually sit/lie on my face. She normally lies around my head, so that she can burrow her nose into the nape of my neck and she really likes to knead my head o_O While it gets a little painful (especially when I wake up to find a huge rats nest in my hair lol) I can't imagine not falling asleep to a kitten purring in my ear

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've learned that I can actually breathe through cat hair.
Same here!
Mosi has a particular place he likes to lie - just beneath the pillow so I just rest my face on his back and have discovered I can still breathe.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Sonic has tried to sleep on my head, but usually he curls up right in front of my nose and mouth. The funniest thing is that my breathing causes his ear reflex to twitch so I'm lying there with his huge oriental ear going flap-flap-flap-flap-flap on my cheek every time I breathe out
Sonic is truly gorgeous. I'd love those huge, beautiful ears doing a flap-flap on my cheek.

Originally Posted by jcat

I just posted about this in another thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10
I think it's pretty normal behavior, but it can become difficult with a large cat. Ours weighs almost 14 lbs., so I certainly can't have him sleeping on my head.
Tell me about it - our 16+ lb. Siamese - who would have figured this for a Siamese.

Originally Posted by urbantigers

Same here!
Mosi has a particular place he likes to lie - just beneath the pillow so I just rest my face on his back and have discovered I can still breathe.
I guess the fur filters our air intake. It's just a good thing we don't have allergies to cat dander or we'd be in big trouble for sure.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My OTB Bogart (see avatar) slept on my hair all 13 years of his life. I would lay the hair out on my pillow and he would nestle into it and sleep. He rests with a lock of it for eternity.

You get used to it after a while......