Mole Mapping - on your body, not the back yard

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got an appointment coming up to have my moles mapped. It's just precautionary, because I spent many years under the Texas sun.

I have this uncomfortable vision of lying naked on a cold table while having every inch of my skin scrutinized...

Has anyone had this done? What was it like? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had it done. Sounds intersting. Have you googled it? They might have someone who has done it before telling about it somewhere!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

...Have you googled it?...
Yeah, I've looked a bit but medical info on the internet starts freaking me out. It's always the worst case scenario. I guess I'm mainly wondering if they just take pics and look at those or if there are people actually prodding and poking.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
it will be like getting a regular exam and the doctor will check you on both sides for the areas that you cant see. anything worth noting will get a little mark on a paper body chart w notes and measurements. This is a great idea for everyone.

A good friend of mine has had several malignant melanomas removed and I had a basal cell carcinoma removed this winter.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a good idea to have a dermatologist give you a once over yearly or whenever a suspecious or new spot pops up
I go every year just to be safe. It's not a big deal at all gorgeous- he's just going to check the symmerty/color/size/location,etc of the moles and see if he sees any thing suspecious. Don't stress over it- they do mole mappings all day long as a precautionary thing
Oh yeah- and it's never to late to wear sunscreen daily if you don't already!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here in Spain, the doc just asks you to point out any moles & freckles you want him to look at........or any new ones that have come up...........
but maybe you will be put on a huge scanner bed .....

Hope all goes well for you

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I've got an appointment coming up to have my moles mapped. It's just precautionary, because I spent many years under the Texas sun.

I have this uncomfortable vision of lying naked on a cold table while having every inch of my skin scrutinized...

Has anyone had this done? What was it like? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I'm sure at the very least that they would give you a sheet to lie under that they could lift up sections as they examine. Much like when you get a massage. If not, demand it!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had mine done I just sat upright with my back to the doctor.

One dermo I went to actually just took a polaroid picture of my back, then each time I went for a check up, they took another for comparison.

I had a displastic mole removed when I was 21. since then I keep regular check ups...well except lately...I haven't made an appointment yet.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never actually even heard of that! I think it is a very good idea to go for it! In fact, it may be something I check into soon. I have several moles that I need looked at.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've neer heard of it but did have an appointment in July to have a Dr look as some moles...he check a bunch of them and then in Oct. I went in and had 5 of them removed from my back. 1 was cut out, 1 was cut off, and 3 were burnt off. No biggie, they use a needle to freeze the area and then its done before you know it. They like to remove the ones that are in places that get irritated as they feel this can lead to cancer. Also to check to make sure any moles you do have that look irregular. The guy I went to seemed very confident and knowledgable. He said none of mine looked worriesome and when the tests came back he was right.
I'd say relax and don't worry over much about it.
:eek:)
Denise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the encouragement and suggestions!

Going to a new doctor is always upsetting to me - too many years of being told "it's just in your head" before my autoimmune diseases were diagnosed.

But I think this will be O.K. I actually requested it so what am I complaining about?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and suggestions!

Going to a new doctor is always upsetting to me - too many years of being told "it's just in your head" before my autoimmune diseases were diagnosed.

But I think this will be O.K. I actually requested it so what am I complaining about?
I'm sure it will be fine, I have a few moles that I had measured and recorded a few years back, although I pointed mine out to the consultant.

I know what you mean about new doctors - I cannot bear to go to the doctor at all. It's a bit odd really, because in my case although I do have a couple of real health issues, I suffer from 'health anxiety' (they don't call it hypochondria any more
) so you'd think I'd have a reserved seat in my local surgery but it's quite the opposite, if anything I'm more likely to avoid going to the doctor for a real problem because I would rather worry in silence than be told I'm wasting their time.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had this done several times over the last few years as several of the beauty marks (as I like to call them) on my back seemed to change shape. It's not as invasive as you think it will be. So, no need to worry, it's nothing more than putting on a gown and feeling a little cold. Just think that your proactive approach to this might just save you from skin cancer.