Do you donate blood? Do you know your blood type?

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm O+.

A few years ago I started donating blood on a regular basis. I was a BIG wussy when it came to needles so it took quite a bit of self convincing to do it. I had another motivator too - proving an ex wrong.

I had the most frustrating experience with my blood donation center. I donated regularly for a while and due to "life" I didn't donate for a few months. Well, during that time, I have never been harrassed SO MUCH to do a good deed. The donation center would call almost every day. Their number would not show up on caller ID and they would not leave a message. After so much of this, I told them to please put me on their "Do not call" list. I still received phone calls and I kept asking them. They even tried to guilt trip me when they called.

Anyway, that agency has put a bitter taste in my mouth in regards to donating blood. I already wrote them an email and got a response, but their calling habits never changed.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should still go back and donate again. I can't donate blood and neither can Lee. They won't let me because I lived in Europe for 6 years and could possibly be a carrier for mad cow (I think we would know if I had it by now right??) and Lee has had a blood transfusion.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to donate blood every time they would come on campus - just about once every two or three months. I'm O+ too. But in the past couple of years, my iron levels have been lousy for some reason, and my doctor actually forbade me donating blood for a year. I'm going overseas to a third-world country this summer, which will make me ineligible for another year, so I'm going to try and donate one more time before I go.

I always figure that if up to three people's lives can be saved or made livable through medications from my donation of around an hour of time and a pint of blood, its well worth it!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have donated in the past, and I do know my type. But life has gotten in the way of more frequent visits for me, not too mention it is in a hrad to get to location for me cause I do not own motor transportation, and it is the middle of my night.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A- here and have tried to donate blood. They can't get enough of a flow to take a pint from my veins. A simple blood test can take 5 minutes with me. In the process of trying, I usually faint.

I wish I could give. I've got a rarer blood type that is hard to find.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I not only know my OWN blood type (A-), I know those of my parents and kids. Both my mother and I are Rh- and my father is Rh+. Mom was closely monitored, during all 4 pregnancies, because of this. Fortunately, both of my sons' fathers were also Rh-.

As for donating, if someone in my immediate family needs blood and is a match, I will donate for them.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not eligible to donate blood. I used to know my blood type but I don't remember anymore.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, two A-!!! You guys are very very precious indeed!

I'm A+ myself and donate blood every 6 months usless there's a call out then more frequently as needed!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm an O+ and I've never donated, bad me! I bruise so badly when having blood drawn that it's kinda scared me away from it

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, I donate 1-2 times a year, I have a card with my blood type, but don't know it by heart, it's either A+ or B+
.....however, I pass out every single year!
To the point where the little old ladies say "hunny, are you sure you want to donate, we can't lift you ya' know...."
And I drink twice my water the day before, and my whole water in take the day of, and eat large quantities of food both days....
owell, it's for the good of others!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I freak out getting blood drawn, and they always have issues finding a good vein, so I've never given blood.

Last blood test I asked if I could find out my blood type as well, and apparently insurance won't pay for that since it's not necessary... Isn't that silly?? So one day I may get brave enough to give blood, and then I will find out my blood type...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what type I am & neither do my parents. I was so upset in HS when they would skip that in lap. Then I get to college and they did the samething. I tried to donate once put they said I was underweight & I am still the same. DH donates each year except this year when the lady mucked up his vein.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have donated numerous times. I can't right now because of the thing about tattoos (which I think is crazy, along with the simple fact of being gay excluding you for life) but I started as soon as I could when I was 15 and do it often when I'm allowed.

I'm O-.

The reason they call so much is that they really really depend on people like us who are willing and able to donate. There aren't many of us out there, and they don't have much money for advertising so often people don't know where to go or when the drives are. I am sorry you feel like you were harrassed, but not donating doesn't punish them, it punishes people like my mommie whose lives have been saved by donated blood. If people don't donate they're forced to rely on paid-for blood products, and honestly if you've ever seen the places that pay for blood you'd realize that it's surprising any of the people there have useable blood or are healthy enough to donate.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never given blood...I always had tattoos or piercings in that time frame thingy they have.

I have no idea what blood type I am..I like to think A-..I like that type for some reason