My New Cat Is Sick

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just adopted this little guy from a rescue yesterday. He wasnt really ready to be adopted out yet because he is sick and hasnt been neutered yet but the lady asked me if i wanted to take him home that day anyway and so i said yes!! I hadnt even gone over there looking for a cat, i was there for a different reason entirely but i fell in love with guy instantly and couldnt put him down.
she is going to pick him up on friday morning and take him to the vet to get some new meds and then she will pick him up again after a while to take him to get neutered.
The is cat is 8 months old but he looks like hes about 4-5 months old? im guessing he weights about 4-5 pounds. about half the size as my other cat who is also 8 months old.
The cat was brought to her as a baby feral at about 4-8 weeks old. He has had this health problem for as long as she has had him.
His 3rd eyelid is always out, his eyes are mucousy and crusty, he cant open them all the way, and red stuff comes out of his nose. it looks like blood but she says its not blood. Hes all rattley when he breathes cause of nasal congestion.
He has had this forever but it has never passed on to any of her other cats (she has about a dozen right now, 4 are permanent residents).
She is hopefull that the new meds (some kind of steroid) he gets on friday will fix him all up.
He is currently getting antibiotics in his eyes. but it hasnt cleared anything up.
Anyone have any ideas?
Im posting a couple pics, you cant tell too much from the pics but here they are anyway.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is beautiful, I hope she gets better soon. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Your cat is beautiful, I hope she gets better soon. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for her.

Thank you i really appreciate that

I wont tell him you called him a she

His name is Akunah but I'm thinking of calling him Kevin.
Ill most likely make a naming thread later.

He is the friendliest, snuggliest cat ever, he just wants to lay on anybody all the time hehe. either on a person or in the sunshine. hes adjusting very nicely to our household. he even snuggles up to the dog. Kya (my female that ive had for 6 months) is still a bit ticked that hes here. he slept in bed with me last night and she wouldnt even come into the room.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful!
I don't have any real info to add, but my Stanley had a terrible URI when I picked him up and he was sneezing pink/blood too. Vet said it was probably irritation from having the URI for so long (he was at a house with 60 cats, very sad situation, many put down, the rest adopted out).

I keep them both on Lysine and he's had two rounds of Clavamox (sp?). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we've finally got it under control as I haven't seen/heard a sneeze in a while.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww bless the little man, heres some positive get well soon (((((
vibes
))))) and that the meds will sort it all out
awww.....he is a peach

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby - he is adorable!!! Shelters do their best to treat the cats that pass thru their doors but are always limited with funds. If you have the funds, ask for the medical records for him and bring him to your vet. And even though you were told this didn't pass to others, I suggest that you keep him isolated until you get an opinion from someone you know (your vet). Again, nothing against shelters, they just handle so many cats and often with volunteer services only.

(I've also taken shelter adoptees to my own vet for their neuter and gave the shelter the records or doing so. By paying out of your own pocket, not only have you adopted a cat, you've left money for the shelter to rescue another cat).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, it wouldn't hurt to just take him to the vet yourself since they may not have the time or money to take care of it. I also would get him neutered as soon as he is over this illness. He is old enough to start trying to 'spray' and I know you want to avoid that.

He's an adorable kitty. Congratulations on your new family member!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor baby! He sure a cutie though
lots of vibes that he can get all better!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone

just to clarify, i did not get him from a shelter but from a rescue that this woman runs out of her own home. she gets free vet services and meds. she is doing a really great job too. her home is very clean and the cats are all friendly and well taken care of. she has this great big cage/pen (huge!) right outside her house and there is a little tunnel that runs from the pen to the living room window so the cats can go in and out as they please. there are all kinds of huge cat trees and toys in the pen and also inside the house. all the cats are really happy. she would probably keep them all but she knows more will be coming soon

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh and i will take him to the vet but i want to give the new meds a chance to work first.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

thank you everyone

just to clarify, i did not get him from a shelter but from a rescue that this woman runs out of her own home. she gets free vet services and meds. she is doing a really great job too. her home is very clean and the cats are all friendly and well taken care of. she has this great big cage/pen (huge!) right outside her house and there is a little tunnel that runs from the pen to the living room window so the cats can go in and out as they please. there are all kinds of huge cat trees and toys in the pen and also inside the house. all the cats are really happy. she would probably keep them all but she knows more will be coming soon
Awww... It sounds like she is doing a great job, good luck with the new kitten. Get well vibes on their way

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks so sweet

Bless you for adopting a cat that was not 'perfect'. You will be rewarded.
Looks like he has a nasty URI.. hope he feels better soon.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

He looks so sweet

Bless you for adopting a cat that was not 'perfect'. You will be rewarded.
Looks like he has a nasty URI.. hope he feels better soon.
She was worried he would never get adopted. i feel lucky that i saw him first before anyone else had the chance to snatch him up!!

I completely believe it was fate.

her husband came home later that day and couldnt believe he had found a home.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks a lot like my Rajah (except she has a little round blonde spot on top of her head)!

He is the friendliest, snuggliest cat ever, he just wants to lay on anybody all the time hehe.
And she is just like this.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

She was worried he would never get adopted. i feel lucky that i saw him first before anyone else had the chance to snatch him up!!

I completely believe it was fate.

her husband came home later that day and couldnt believe he had found a home.
That is just so sweet, really. He is sooo lucky to have you

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Has you or anyone at the shelter seen his eyes at all, or are the lids always closed? Cleo was found that way and it ended up that she had to have her eyes removed. Not that it is that, but i was just wondering. It doesn't sound too good =(

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your little kitty gets to feeling better soon, I am sending some prayers and hugs from Mississippi, please keep us updated on his condition.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Has you or anyone at the shelter seen his eyes at all, or are the lids always closed? Cleo was found that way and it ended up that she had to have her eyes removed. Not that it is that, but i was just wondering. It doesn't sound too good =(
oh we ve seen his eyes. the farthest he can open them is about halfway and the inner eyelid covers almost half of that. he is going to the vet tomorrow and i cant wait. it makes my eyes water just to look at him so it cant be any fun for him

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i made the naming poll for him, it is in the fur pictures section in the cats lounge.