Open notes/open books

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm really outdated on this.

My students are took their midterm exam. I told them I would allow notes and the use of the book. Even on the study guide I stated open book/open notes

Tonight 5 of them began to use the web, the software, and blackboard (the only class resource).

What does open book/open notes mean to you?

Oh and by the way I threatened anyone else doing what the 5 did a big fat ole "F"

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did your students use all that stuff during the test??

Laptops and online discussion boards for classes were in their infancy when I was leaving college. They seem to have become more mainstream since I left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little piece of software install on the teachers station. This allows me to view all the students computers in real time.

Basically at first I saw one or two, so I just shut them down (while they were looking for the answer). Once I began to see the trend, I made the announcement.

Looks like the final will be closed book...err...everything.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I have a little piece of software install on the teachers station. This allows me to view all the students computers in real time.

Basically at first I saw one or two, so I just shut them down (while they were looking for the answer). Once I began to see the trend, I made the announcement.

Looks like the final will be closed book...err...everything.
So all your students have computers at their desks?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup...it's a computer class...well web design class.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they think that open-note open-book meant they could use the internet? If not, then they get a big fat F and possibly a referral for cheating...

I think you're being too nice to them. From the pov of another student in the class who wasn't cheating, I would be super TO'd that the cheaters weren't being punished properly. People who cheat do not belong in school.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, i would think that would mean, i could use any resource i wanted to use.
unless you stated books and notes only.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My prof's always state "open notes & books only...nothing else". Every once in awhile you get a student who doesn't quite grasp what open note/book means.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is it a test if you're allowed to have notes in front of you?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Did they think that open-note open-book meant they could use the internet? If not, then they get a big fat F and possibly a referral for cheating...

I think you're being too nice to them. From the pov of another student in the class who wasn't cheating, I would be super TO'd that the cheaters weren't being punished properly. People who cheat do not belong in school.
The college I'm teaching at is a community college. We're less likely to refer them...just give them a big fat F.

ehh...they're getting their due. Once we get back from break I'm announcing the final exam will be closed everything. Computers will be shut down, nothing on the desk except pencil, scantron and test sheets. Everything else will be placed under the desk.

I may reconsider if the 5 students that I caught are willing to get up in front of the class and state what they did, why they did it, and any other questions I can come up with...again though I'm only considering this.

Originally Posted by theimp98

hmm, i would think that would mean, i could use any resource i wanted to use.
unless you stated books and notes only.
Oooooo....I guess the only was the part I missed. Silly me!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess I have two takes on this. In college I had a professor that would pass out a test and say that he wanted a three page paper written for each question (there were 10) and he wanted it back in a week. We would split up the work and share answers in our study group.

Open note/book would mean to me that you can use class only notes and the text book. The internet doesn't fit into that equation at all.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Open book and notes means note you took or the text book. As far as I know the internet isn't notes I took or a text book.